My Subscription changed without my knowledge or permission

My Subscription changed without my knowledge or permission

Plan

Premium (changed to Premium Family)

Country

USA

My Question or Issue

Hello,

At some point in the past month, my subscription was changed without my knowledge or permission. I used to have Premium (Individual) and successfully added the free Hulu subscription to my account earlier this year. However, I recently received an email about receiving a free Google Home Mini (for which I did not request/sign-up) and that prompted me to go check my account. Unbeknownst to me, I now have a Premium Family subscription and I no longer have access to Hulu.

Can somebody assist me in figuring out what happened? I know that I can change back to Premium (Individual) on my own but I will not be able to get Hulu back. What was the cause of this issue?

Thank you.

20 Replies

I am having the same exact issue and they charged me two days ago the same amount they alway had and now on my Spotify account it says on Nov. 10th they are going to charge me again but for a higher price without Hulu. I do not understand what is going on because I never received word about this change. Mind you, I was able to access my Hulu account today but then around 6pm my account was gone 

I'm having the same issue -  I signed up to get a google home mini and when I did, I was no longer able to log into Hulu. Frustrating.

I claimed the google mini promo and now my Hulu account was cancelled as well

The same thing happened to me this evening. I had a spotify + hulu account, and my hulu stopped working today. I logged into my account this evening, and it said my account was now a Family plan. I did not change this (and I have not made any other changes recently). I contacted customer service, and they told me there was nothing they could do except reset my password. They said it must have been a security issue (implying that someone hacked into my account and changed my subscription for me). Since my account was changed, they can no longer offer me the hulu promotion. I told them it was very unlikely that someone hacked into my account to change my subscription to a family plan. I find their explanation to be outrageous.

I will be filing a complaint with the FTC. I'm a little angry about losing hulu, but I'm extremely bothered that Spotify upgraded me to a more expensive plan without my permission or any notification. 

same thing happened to me today, total BS

How did you get in contact with Spotify?because they have been ignoring my messages and they don't have a number to call

You can't call them - but they have a support chat system:

https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support?_ga=2.194632813.1551494400.1571925977-8546198...

They were not helpful to me, and I cancelled my spotify premium account last night & signed up for Apple Music this morning. They refused to give me back my previous subscription (hulu + spotify). They told me my account was compromised, but wouldn't give me any other information on this security issue (and told me I couldn't speak with anyone else). I highly doubt my account was hacked so that the said hacker could change my subscription to a family plan, but if it was, I'm now deeply concerned about their security features / issues. I've been a (very happy) paid Spotify user for over 5 years, but this experience has been a disaster.

And -

If my account was indeed compromised, they should work with me to address the security issue and restore my previous subscription status. Their customer service did neither.

I was able to get ahold of a rep and was able to restore most of the account. But the billing due date was changed and due to closing of that promotion on may 17th spotify reps cant restore the hulu

When you talk to them they are gonna need the bank transaction screenshot and a screenshot of the receipt on the website profile to verify

So did you get Hulu back? The same thing happened to me. Once I redeemed the free Google Home Mini, my plan was changed to Family Premium and I lost access to Hulu. Did you talk to a customer service rep on the phone? And if so, what was the number? Any advice for when I do talk to them? They did not seem receptive at all when I chatted online with them yesterday.

I have yet to receive an adequate response from them. I had a brief DM convo with their customer support Twitter handle - @SpotifyCares - but it hasn't led to any substantive result. I followed their instructions outlined in this guide and I am waiting for a rep to respond to me so that I may show them receipts with proof of my previous subscription w/ Hulu.

They did the same thing to me too!  I believe it was so they can get away from HULU and this way they can say that your subscription changed and you're no longer valid for the HULU deal. 

Sure would like to actually TALK TO SOMEONE AT SPOTIFY

I was able to chat with them and they claim my account was compromised, which was not the case but I'm pretty much there plan was to get people off that Hulu + Spotify subscription slowly but I just don't get why they can't just say " in 3 months everyone will be off it " instead of pulling off this stunt and hacking our accounts themselves. Just be honest!!!!.... I am very unhappy with Spotify 

Same issue.. Email says to pick mini..ignore it since I don't want to change plans.. today I get logged out of my Spotify and Hulu is gone. Upgraded to Family Plan without knowledge. Another email asking to reset my password. Well just go ahead and try to get my mini..discount isn't applied to checkout..cancel..try again..says I don't qualify now. Obviously Spotify had a major compromise or is being shady. I'm not sure about keeping this subscription..

This is the**bleep** response I was just given. Not once did I change my plan nor did I ever EVER authorize a change to my plan. I was already a premium member with the Spotify + Hulu plan in place. When accepting the google home mini offer nowhere did it mention that my plan was going to be changed. Obviously I’m not the only victim of this company right now. I smell a lawsuit coming real fast. The fact that customer service is trying to blame me for something I never even **bleep**ing did is absolutely nothing immoral and unprofessional.Since the damage is already done and Spotify doesn’t give a **bleep** I will be canceling once my google home arrives in the mail you piece**bleep** cheating **bleep** company.Ohh and these **bleep**ers better not charge me a higher rate for a family plan I never changed to

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us! We're sorry to hear your Hulu service was canceled when you upgraded your subscription. Allow us to shed some light on this.

The offer Hulu + Premium bundle is only for individual users and this offer can't be applied with other promotions. Since you've already upgraded your subscription to Premium Family, we're afraid you won't be able to get it back at the moment as it's no longer an active promotion.

Consequently, we're really working hard with Hulu for similar future offers. As soon as we've got anything to announce, we’ll let everyone know via the Spotify Community.

Thanks for your patience, we really appreciate it. If we can help with anything else, let us know.

All the best,

Angela D.

Spotify Customer Support

Hey there Angela,

How could you reply "We're sorry to hear your Hulu service was canceled when YOU upgraded your subscription."? Are you kidding me? Clearly none of us upgraded to the family plan ourselves. This is a total scam either from the google store or spotify itself. The fact that no one at Spotify is able to answer why no one received an email notification that our plans changed is ridiculous. Something unscrupulous is happening since there were many times when reps said giving a free month of premium to "cover it up." Said so yourselves are covering it up. Very disappointed and already filed with the FTC. I suggest everyone else do the same.

Here is the "awesome" reply from a company which "really cares"....

P.s. The "unauthorized changes" y'all detected.. that was YOU upgrading me to Family plan.

P.p.s.. I won't be resubscribing. Also dumping my stock before this really snowballs. I suggest everyone do the same.
#&(@ you, Spotify.
----
Hello there,

Thanks for keeping us on the loop and getting back to us with your info. That was fast you're amazing.

We've detected some unauthorized changes to your account that's why your account was upgraded to Family Plan. We took some precautionary actions to secure your account. We apologize for the inconvenience that this has brought you.

Your account has been secured and we’re happy to return access to you.

You now need to reset your password to one you’ve not used before on Spotify or any other service. We also recommend changing the password of the email address registered on your account.

To confirm, we took the following action:

Canceled the subscription, so your account will revert to the free service on your next billing date. You can resume your Premium here. Make sure the address on your account is correct when upgrading again.

Reset your active offline devices. This means you need to re-download any music for offline listening.  

To prevent this from happening again, we recommend reading how to protect your Spotify account. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch.

Unfortunately, after you've been upgraded to the Premium Family subscription, your Premium + Hulu bundle was terminated.
Additionally, since the sign ups for Spotify Premium + Hulu ended on the 14th of May, 2019, it won't be possible to sign up again for this offer.

However, you can keep your eye out for more offers in the future. We’re always looking to provide good deals for all our customers.
That should do it. Please don’t hesitate to get back in touch if we can lend a hand with anything else.

All the best,

Meribel

Spotify Customer Support

This happened to me as well. Claimed my account was compromised and someone changed it. Same story. I accused them of doing it and they replied with "We would never do such a thing" type response. I then requested that they proved login sources and device logs. They said I had to request it and that they didn't have access to it? Didn't believe them. This is really shady

Suggested posts