Premium Duo: Address verification and region switching failed

Solved!

Premium Duo: Address verification and region switching failed

Plan

Premium/Premium Duo

Country

Netherlands

My Question or Issue

My Spotify account is in the Netherlands, and I have recently moved to Germany. I switched my Premium subscription to Premium Duo to share with my friend with a German Spotify account living at the exact same address in Germany. Switching the subscription worked but the address verification failed. I figured that my account region may be a problem, and tried changing my region by switching payment methods, but all the applicable payment methods for Germany (PayPal and credit card) are not accepted, saying the region does not match.

What could I do to get the Premium Duo subscription working?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @UnhappyUser2021,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Since the Premium Duo subscription is for users who live at the same household, both accounts must be registered in the same country.

To change your account's country settings to the country you're currently living at, you need to change your payment method to one issued in the same country where you're currently living, by following the steps in this article. Keep in mind that the country change will take place in your next billing date and only then you'll be able to invite the other user to your plan.

If you already tried using a payment method registered in Germany and you're still having trouble, we suggest checking directly with your bank/payment method provider that it meets all these requirements. If it does, try from a different device and connection. It's also worth trying with a different browser and using a private/incognito window.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there @UnhappyUser2021,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Since the Premium Duo subscription is for users who live at the same household, both accounts must be registered in the same country.

To change your account's country settings to the country you're currently living at, you need to change your payment method to one issued in the same country where you're currently living, by following the steps in this article. Keep in mind that the country change will take place in your next billing date and only then you'll be able to invite the other user to your plan.

If you already tried using a payment method registered in Germany and you're still having trouble, we suggest checking directly with your bank/payment method provider that it meets all these requirements. If it does, try from a different device and connection. It's also worth trying with a different browser and using a private/incognito window.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Changing the account country makes sense, also changing payment method to something based on/directly from the new country (especially when the currency is the same and the new options are comparatively bad) not so much since one could still have a valid bank account + payment method from the previous country, but at least it is documented clearly now. Spotify is making it hard to keep paying them after a move but anyway the steps above solve the problem, so thank you and good luck to those who stumbled upon this.

Hi,

We have kind of the same problem I think and I didn't get what worked at the end for you.

We are a couple living in Belgium, in the same appartment, we took a Premium Duo. However, my partner is receiving an error message when entering our address saying that we should be in the same country.

I think it might be linked to the fact that my Spotify account is registered in France as I was there when I subscribed and my credit card is linked to a French bank account.

However, we did live in Belgium where we are now, the address linked to my account is the belgian one and my partner is entering the same one. I dont want to pay with a Belgian bank account since mine is French, so the option of changing payment method is not ok. How can we deal with that problem? We subscribed a month ago and we still cannot enjoy the abonnement...

Does my partner should try to get France as country setting, while entering our address in Belgium? How to do that? VPN?

This seems very complex for nothing. A lot of people have their bank account in another country than the one they live in...

Thanks for your help!

Sarah

Hey @sa_shine,

Thanks for posting here.

In order to update you country, you'll need to first update your payment method to one that's issued there. You can check this article for more info.

Currently there is no option to choose a payment method that is issued in another country. 

The Community is here for you if there's anything else!

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

I encountered the same problem as my credit card is from another country. 

The fact that I provided Spotify my home address AND allow you to track my location and my daughter's to make sure that we live in the same household is outrageous. 

Still, this is not enough to ensure that we live in the same household.

There has to be another way to provide you with proof apart from changing the payment method to a local one. 

Why make it easy to switch to Duo but hard to access?

Suggested posts