Country

Germany

Device

iPhone 11, PC

Operating System

iOS 13.7, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi,

I can't delete or rename some folders in my account. It neither works in the Win10 Desktop App nor in the Web Player. When I move some folders around i get another order in the Web Player and in my iPhone App.

I tried also to logout, restart and login again and reinstalling the Win10 App.

After googling and reading some threads here, I think my Playlist structure is corrupted. Can you please check this?

Thank you 🙂

31 Replies

I've been trying to figure out why i can't rename my folders either. i've uninstalled and reinstalled so many times and nothing is working on my Macbook Pro

Hey @Eldaphin and @izzy202,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Just to confirm, did you use these steps for a clean reinstall? They’re more thorough than a regular one and make sure no damaged leftover files remain. These changes tend to solve issues like the one you're experiencing. If that doesn't fix things - do you get any type of error message when you try to rename/delete a folder? It would be great if you sent us a screenshot or recording of what you see at your end.

@izzy202 to clarify - did you also give our web player a go? Does the same thing happen there?

Keep us posted. We'll keep an eye out for your replies. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I can't either. I think it's a flaw in their design. Judging from the past my guess is they'll never read any of these messages and if we're lucky, they'll fix it in the next few months. Their customer service is THE WORST!!! 😞 

Hey @melrusso,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Sorry to hear that you're having such an experience with the app and are dissatisfied with customer service. In general the CS team tries to reply as quickly as possible for the given region. If you've not received a message from them it's always good to check your spam/junk folder and make sure you've not blocked any emails from Spotify in the past.

Have you ran a clean reinstall of the app like @Mihail has suggested? 

You can also check if managing folders works normally on another account logged on your device. This will help to check if the issue is account related.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Wow! I’m genuinely shocked and thrilled to hear back from CS. Thank you!

I’ve tried all the things…

It looks like when you launched your updates, the ability to name your folders does not exist.
I’m using Spotify on my MAC. You can’t make folders on your phone (at least I don’t see folders appearing on my phone)

When you click on New Folder, there’s no way to change the name. It just stays “New Folder”
You used to be able to just click on it and it would high-light so you can name it.
It would be amazing if you could look into it. It seems like its a glitch…

Thank you again for responding! Really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Hey @melrusso,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Can you let us know if you've tried using a different account on your Mac? You can ask a friend to log in with theirs or create a free account for test purposes.

It would also be helpful to know the exact model and OS version of your computer, and your Spotify version.

Note that if you're using a Mac with the new M1 architecture, you might come across several issues with the app, as it has not yet been released natively for that system.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

I’m using Mac OS 11.2.3
And this issue only started after Spotify made some changes to the interface

I have a premium account

Truth be told, I don’t know anyone else who uses Folders…🥴
But I’ll see if my husband can log in on his MAC and try and make a folder

I am also having the same problem and I have reinstalled Spotify on my Mac and I am still not able to name my Folders!

Hey folks,

Thanks for the replies.

Could you try logging in with a different account to check whether you experience the same issue?

Also, @sarahariel95, can you confirm to us that both renaming and deleting folders doesn't work.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I eventually figured it out.
You have to “right click” to get the option to Rename

Its not obvious which is what stumped me

Thanks for the support!

Cheers!

It’s a right click to get the option to pop up
If you have a Mac used two fingers to activate the “right click” option

Blew my mind. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I fought with cs for 45 minutes over not being able to rename my folders. thank you...

**bleep**! I needed to use TWO fingers to right click on my MacBook in order to rename a folder!!!! Did not know that. Thank you. I can get back to organizing. Love Spotify BTW...

I've tried to right click using two fingers and I just don't get it - nothing works. Why can't we just go back to renaming a folder by clicking on it (like how we re-name playlists)? It worries me that this thread has been going on for so long and the issue hasn't been resolved in the Spotify updates. I just re-installed and also tried the web interface. Any help would be much appreciated

They tell you to reinstall. Like they don't know that the update eliminated this ability to rename folders. Completely the opposite of customer centric.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

It's indeed the case that folders can be renamed by using right clicking on them, apologies if this has caused any confusion. Note that this functionality can be used on Mac devices by using two fingers on the trackpad or by control-clicking.

If you'd like to change how folders get renamed, we're always open to new ideas 🙂 The best way to get yours noticed and considered is if you create an idea for it in the Community by going here - that way, other users will also be able to vote for it.

Hope this info is useful. The Community is here for you if you have any questions. 

Mihail Moderator

The same thing is happening to me and I've so sad about it. I order my playlists into folders by years and not being able to name a new folder 2022 is killing me a little on the inside! I did the clean reinstall suggested below and it still isn't allowing me to name them! If anyone can help me out that would be incredible!

lol i figured it out please ignore this

Just found this thread because I cannot name my folders. I am on a PC and I can right click and create a folder, but it does not prompt the user to name the folder. And if I right click on my New Folder, I see the choice Rename, but when I click on that choice, it does nothing.

Suggested posts