Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Constantly having to restart my phone for Spotify to actually play the song on screen.

Constantly having to restart my phone for Spotify to actually play the song on screen.

My Question or Issue

I would have my phone connected through my car, once I have finished the journey I would close the app down through background data and go about my day. When I come back to Spotify it would still show the last song played but would be playing another song instead. The only solution  I have found is that I have to restart my phone, every time, currently I'm finding that to be a bit annoying. Any solutions? 

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

Operating System

Android

16 Replies

Hey @RyanMc1, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you try a clean reinstall of the app following these steps?

Let me know how everything goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Billy-J I have already tried that step and it just goes back to how it was. I'm not sure what the problem is or where it's originating from.

Hey @RyanMc1,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you check if there any Battery optimization enabled for Spotify and switch that off.

Also, go into app settings and make sure Spotify is granted all permissions.

Let us know if that helps 🙂

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi there, I am having a similar issue. It has been happening for months and I thought it was because my phone was a bit old but I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE and I've got the same issue!? After a couple of hours, Spotify appears to be frozen on the same song. The whole app in not frozen thought, in fact I am can still go to my library and select different songs and listen to them, however Spotify will still say is it playing the same song. So essentially spotify is playing a different song to what it says it is. The other annoying part when Spotify does this, is that when I disconnect my headphones it continues to play music and you can't stop the music, like the pause button on the song does not work. The only way to stop  the music playing is to restart my phone. I have to restart my phone at least 5 times a day! I have tried to reinstall the app a number of times, nothing seems to work! Help!

Hey @Lewina,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

Could you let us know if this happens when your phone is connected to another device, like a speaker or headphones via either Connect or Bluetooth, or if it happens when just using the phone's speaker or wired headphones?

Also, can you confirm if you already tried running a clean reinstall of the app by following these steps? This can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Hi Guys,

I am having the exact same issue.

Just changed from an iPhone 12 to Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and changed from Apple Music to Spotify.

The Spotify app continues to display a different song, or will not play anything at all when connected through Android Auto in my Kia Proceed MY2020. 

It also does the same when using my Samsung Buds.

I have to restart the phone to get it to work again.

I've given the app all its permissions, and now removed it from battery optimisation, so I will check on the drive home from work tonight to see if that makes any difference, but I'm not hopeful to be honest.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

Operating System

Android

I'm still having the issue months down the line. I thought the app had corrected itself but I'm here again with the same problem. I'm not restarting my phone everytime. 

Hey @RyanMc1,

Thanks for the post.

Did you try the other troubleshooting we've suggested? Like making sure no Battery optimization is enabled for Spotify and that the app is granted all permissions through the app settings?

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

I am having this issue as well. The Spotify application will play music silently both when connected to a external device or my phone speakers. All other audio on my phone works fine. I have attempted all of the suggested solutions above but none of them have lead to fixing the problem. Right now I need to hard restart my phone whenever I want to fix the issue and it gets in the way of a smooth session. I have noticed that the issue arises when I attempt to use Spotify on my phone after listening to music from a different device (ie laptop). 

Again, the suggested steps/solutions above have not solved my issue and I would like help with this problem. 

I'm still having the same problem months down the line. The only solution I've found that doesn't involve restarting my phone is to; go into 'My apps' and 'force stop' Spotify and clear the Cache in 'storage' options. It's still annoying but still a better result from restarting my phone, everytime.

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

In order to take a better look at what could be causing the issue, let us know your device's exact OS version and the Spotify version you're currently running.

If possible, try to record a video of the issue. You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor.

We’ll be on the lookout. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

hi, i have the same issue

my old phone samsung a51 almost everyday crashed while listening to music on spotify (all of them updated till the last versions of themselves) and i had to do a hard reset on my phone in order to everything to be fine again.

then one day while i was listening to a song, my phone froze again and it restarted itself... but it had the samsung logo for 5h straight and it could not start anymore properly (the moment when it did and i try to open spotify + one more app on background it restarts itself and has the samsung logo for minutes).

because of this i had to buy a new phone - samsung a53 (updated to the last versions of the software - the app)

i had noticed that a lot of times while i am hearing one song, a different song is on display. also some of the songs don't start immediately - i see the picture and the name of the song but it just say 0:00 and everything is just silent and i need to do hard reset on the app in order to fix this issue

i am a premium user for 3 years now and as such i want to kindly ask you to please fix your app for the android/samsung users because it ruined my old phone and i dont want my new one to have the same faith

i had tried the steps in the previous posts and non of them fixed these issues

oh and to add one more thing - i am listening to the app with bluetooth headphones.

on both of the phones i use/used the same headphones 

and usually at home i am listening on wifi (private network) and not using my mobile data

on my laptop i use the desktop version and it works fine not like the mobile app

Hey @pondsbluebox,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

The described issue looks similar to the one from this thread, where other users have reported experiences like yours. Our tech team is currently investigating the reasons for it. We will keep the users in the other thread posted with the latest updates as soon as we get them. Make sure to leave your vote there.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator

thanks @dian 

i will keep checking the other topic

can you please kindly advise about my other issues - i want to give my old phone to a member from my family who also has a premium spotify account but this is not possible before my issues to be resolved - the phone crashes and restarts itself, while listening to music in the app, and sometimes the phone can't even reboot itself properly

Hi there @pondsbluebox,

Thank you for your reply. 

Can you confirm that you followed the steps that are provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your device, so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it since the steps will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts