Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Converting old local files playlists to regular Spotify songs

Solved!

Converting old local files playlists to regular Spotify songs

Hello,

This seems like an incredibly basic thing, but I just can't seem to find any information on it.

I have a bunch of Spotify playlists I created years ago from importing local files from iTunes. That MacBook with the actual files is long gone, but I'd like to play those songs, or at least as many as I can.

But every song on every playlist is grayed out. Spotify doesn't seem to want to recognize any of these songs as playable, even though most (if not all) of them are songs that Spotify has in their database. It shouldn't matter that I'm no longer on that MacBook with those songs of iTunes; I just want the playlists to play from Spotify's cloud.

Is there any way to resolve this? To copy the playlist so Spotify can "pick up the songs" as theirs? Export the list and re-import it? 

Right now I would have to manually re-create each playlist by finding every single song one at a time, which seems crazy. 

Thanks for anyone's time!

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

(Android 10, Windows 10)

Operating System

(Android 10, Windows 10)

spotify issue.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Well, I figured out my own solution for anyone who has the same problem in the future:

There's a site called Tune My Music that is meant to transfer your playlists from one service to another, like from Spotify to Pandora. But I just used it to export my "local files" playlists to a file (I did a CSV, but shouldn't matter), and then re-imported it back to Spotify.

You do have to allow the service to have permission to your Spotify account, but the whole process was easy. It took a good hour to effectively re-import my maybe 5000 songs scattered among 30 or so playlists (and of course they are bunch that Spotify doesn't have, but no big deal), but it was easy.

Absolutely crazy that Spotify can't just do this on its own, but hey, it's done...

View solution in original post

4 Replies

As far as I know the only way is to create those playlists from scratch. The feature that linked local files with the ones available in Spotify catalogue was removed last year if I'm correct.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Marked as solution

Well, I figured out my own solution for anyone who has the same problem in the future:

There's a site called Tune My Music that is meant to transfer your playlists from one service to another, like from Spotify to Pandora. But I just used it to export my "local files" playlists to a file (I did a CSV, but shouldn't matter), and then re-imported it back to Spotify.

You do have to allow the service to have permission to your Spotify account, but the whole process was easy. It took a good hour to effectively re-import my maybe 5000 songs scattered among 30 or so playlists (and of course they are bunch that Spotify doesn't have, but no big deal), but it was easy.

Absolutely crazy that Spotify can't just do this on its own, but hey, it's done...

Thanks! Export/Re-import with a third-party program ended up working.

Thanks! I used soundiiz and it worked great. tunemymusic does the job too.

You just have to create a local files playlist, then export it as a CSV, then import to Spotify from the CSV. All using the third party software.

Suggested posts