Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Edit details button for playlists not working

Solved!

Edit details button for playlists not working

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Chrome book

Operating System

Whatever Chrome books run on?

My Question or Issue

Hi all, I'm asking this question for a friend so the details might be a bit hazy, but any and all help would be appreciated!

So the issue is pretty simple, when they click the "edit details" button when viewing a playlist, the box that allows you to edit the playlists title and everything doesn't appear!

We've also tried right clicking on the cover image and then using that "edit details" button, but that also does nothing.

Has anyone got any clue as to what this might be?

//////Edit as of 16/10/2020

I still haven't managed to fix the issue, or test any work around's but In theory, (I haven't tested this yet) you might be able to install the Linux version of the client on your Chromebook IF it has an Intel CPU (Or an AMD one, but I  *think* they only use Intel CPUs in Chromebooks?)  and if it supports Crostini (Which I *think* most do but I'm not too sure).

Like I said, i haven't tried this yet, and it might well not work, but if you do try it and it does work please do tell me! (and maybe consider making a step by step guide for any other poor lost souls wandering the forum :P)

If you do want to give my workaround idea a go then here are the links to the articles I've read about how to do it, though, it would appear that they are all quite outdated 😕

This one is on how to prepare the Chromebook for installing apps

This one is about how to actually install the app (Though you might need to reference the Spotify website to make sure the install command is still valid)

And then this one is another guide on how to prep the Chromebook, though it seems more dated than the others

Best of luck!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @TimeRabbit07,

Thanks for getting back to us, we're happy to clarify your questions.

You're right that the version of the Spotify app for Chrome OS (the opperating system on Chromebooks) is more simmilar in functionality to our web player than the ones for Windows and Mac OS. The reason for this is that Chrome OS has a user interface based on the Chrome browser.

If you're able to istall the Linux version of the Spotify app on your device, than you shold be able to access those additional functionalities. However, we do recommend that you contact your Chromebook manufaturer so they can help you with that. This Google Support page can help you with that.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I'm also having this problem unfortunately. It seems that on the web player, the 'edit details' button simply does nothing. I tried signing out of all my devices and then logging in on just one to edit it, but that didn't work either. Hopefully it's a glitch that they'll patch out soon. 

Plan
Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Windows Surface Pro 3

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro

That's interesting! it's strange that its an issue with the chrome OS app and the web player...

You probably already know this, but (For me at least) the edit details button on the downloadable windows 10 client works fine, so if you're desperate to change titles and cover images maybe give downloading and using it a go!

Hey there folks,

Just jumping in here to confirm that for now you can only edit your playlist covers with the Desktop app. For full info, we'd recommend checking out this support article.

If you'd like to see this functionality extended onto the web player or mobile app, you can consider adding your +VOTE to this idea or this one or both 🙂

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

Hope this info is useful. Let us know if there's anything else you need help with!

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi, just to make sure I've got this straight in my head (and for anyone else as silly as me reading this), you can edit cover images, titles ect. On the three desktop apps for Windows, Linux and Mac OS, but the official app for Chromebooks - while it looks like the normal desktop app, is actually the mobile/android version (which doesn't support editing cover images and everything)  right?

So the only (potential) way to be able to edit cover images and everything on a chrome book would be to try your luck loading up the Linux version of the desktop app?

Thanks for all the help!

Marked as solution

Hey @TimeRabbit07,

Thanks for getting back to us, we're happy to clarify your questions.

You're right that the version of the Spotify app for Chrome OS (the opperating system on Chromebooks) is more simmilar in functionality to our web player than the ones for Windows and Mac OS. The reason for this is that Chrome OS has a user interface based on the Chrome browser.

If you're able to istall the Linux version of the Spotify app on your device, than you shold be able to access those additional functionalities. However, we do recommend that you contact your Chromebook manufaturer so they can help you with that. This Google Support page can help you with that.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts