Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Introducing Smart Shuffle!

We know that our users love creating their own playlists to capture key moments in time – in fact, playlists created by users often become their most-streamed playlist for the first several months but listening to these playlists slowly fades overtime, and users are eager to discover new music.

With this in mind, we’re excited to launch a new play mode called Smart Shuffle that keeps listening sessions fresh and provides personalized recommendations that perfectly match any listeners’ playlist vibe. 

This update will roll out to Premium users on mobile devices starting today.

How does Smart Shuffle work?

• You can use it in any playlist created by you, and your Liked Songs.
  • To activate it, just use the Shuffle button to switch between regular play, Shuffle mode and Smart Shuffle.
  • When Smart Shuffle is on, recommendations are added to your session automatically. You can find all the recommendations sitting in your queue.
  • You will be able to recognize the music we are recommending with the sparkle () symbol next to the track. For a playlist with more than 15 songs, we’ll recommend one song for every three tracks.
  • And the best part, your original playlist remains untouched, so you can add any new track that catches your ear.
  • If you like a specific recommendation, just save it using the plus button in the Now Playing View. If that song doesn’t hit right, just tap the minus to remove it from the recommendations. This is then used to better adjust the suggestions we put forward.
  • Every time you turn Smart Shuffle off, a new mix will be available every time you activate it again.

Introductory pageIntroductory pageHow the queue will lookHow the queue will look

Joan_3-1678291160655.pngElena_1-1678292065514.png

Adding and removing recommendations.

FAQ

What about the Enhance feature?

For now, Smart Shuffle will replace the Enhance feature.

What will happen to Discover Weekly and other regularly updated playlists?

For the time being, no changes to those will be made. Smart Shuffle aims to improve the listening experience for user curated playlists.

Does this mean that using Smart Shuffle will cause my carefully curated playlists to get cluttered with new recommendations?

No! Your original playlist remains untouched, so you can add any new track that catches your ear. Smart Shuffle won’t change your playlist without your explicit permission. What changes instead is what you'll hear during each specific listening session

We hope you're as excited as we are about this new play mode. The official Newsroom announcement is out, you can check that out too. For any and all feedback on the matter you may have, you're more than welcome to comment in the thread below.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
1,144 Replies

whenever i try to turn off shuffle smart shuffle turns on automatically and i never had this feature before. i know it might be a test feature but is there anyway to turn it off because i hate it, it takes too long to load the random songs i’ll never listen to them. i just want to turn off and on shuffle normally. worst feature too

i have the iphone 12, ios 15.5, spotify updated ( 8.7.86.510 ) spotify premium 

**bleep** awful feature, listening to music on way to work and bam hit with songs not even on my playlists, if I want them I would add them maybe get an algorithm that sees what bands you listen to and have on my playlist not just some random one and then playing 2/3 of their songs back to back when you skip and then you wonder if someone messing with your playlist. Get rid of the smart shuffle and get normal shuffle back

Trying to silently add "recommended songs" with this stupid feature **bleep**, we PAY for this service, stop trying to sneak in promoted content. And fix your algorithm, I forget to turn on a Private Session a couple times for my sleep Playlist and now ALL of my discover weeklys are ruined. 

Please, give me the option to fully disable smart shuffle. It's suddenly enabled on my Android Spotify app and I absolutely hate it.

Why?

Because I switch between playing in order (of my playlist) or traditional shuffle often. Now there's an extra option, one that ads random junk in my playlist. Sure, it can be removed BUT that's a horrible slow process! Every time I touch the shuffle button it takes multiple seconds to change to the next setting, sometimes up to 10+ seconds. In the meanwhile Spotify is unresponsive. Also regularly it does not properly work: often shuffle is disabled and I still get **bleep** that's not in my playlist. Have to press the shuffle button three times again -and wait again- for it to hopefully fix itself... 

Wasting development time on these dumb features is worse enough, but at the very least give your paying customers the option to fully control their app in the way they want.

Pretty please.

I feel the exact same way. I don’t like having to manually remove the suggestions and how trying to turn it off messes up my queue. Sometimes it takes a few shuffles to get a good one 

Mine stays even when i turn it off. Extremely annoying.

I totally agreed. I am not the kind to email a company directly to complain but I sent spotify an strongly worded email about smart shuffle. It is the worst UI experience possible. Just stop. Takes a long time to come on and turn off so if you regularly switch between shuffle and order play, you are spending all this time in lag waiting for it to finish loading. I am literally switching to youtube music as I write this comment. I am going to give spotify one month and if this feature is not gone, I am leaving forever. Raise your prices, I will pay for it. Just don't cram random promoted songs down my throat to increase your profits. In case anyone was wondering, soundiiz will migrate your playlists for free.

The Enhance button needs to be moved from being in line with the turn off and on regular shuffle buttons! It makes the way I use Spotify extremely frustrating with where the enhance button was moved to! (The button is third in a chain of buttons consisting of the Regular Shuffle button, then the Enhance button, then the Turn Off Shuffle button. This can be found when pulling up the current song being listened to and when hitting the three dots in the corner.) I turn off and on shuffle on my playlists constantly and it takes a while to load songs (that I don’t even want to listen to) into my queue, just for me to get to where I can turn off the regular shuffle on my current playlist. (For more information I mainly use my iPhone for Spotify but I also use my pc some.)

Please, I am absolutely BEGGING you to move this feature out of the way such as just as a single enhance button on its own at the top of playlists or even better, make an option in settings to let people get rid of and turn off the enhance button altogether if they do not want to use it at the moment. That way those who liked the enhance can keep it but those like me, who find it extremely aggravating, can avoid it until they specifically want to use it.

Also, when I turn the regular shuffle back on, enhanced songs return to my queue even though the enhanced shuffle is off! It should be a new order of songs so why enhanced songs would be added back when just the regular shuffle is turned back on, I have no idea other than a bug, but even if this is fixed, having the enhanced button in a place where I am forced to push it just to turn my playlists on and off the regular shuffle is time consuming with loading new songs and is just ridiculous! (I have most of the major playlists I have made and listen to regularly downloaded for a reason!)

Forcing people to use the enhance button and slowing them down when trying to quickly use other staple Spotify features is just cheap and not thought through at best. I have loved using Spotify over the years, but this makes it almost unusable for me now because of how much quick in and out of shuffling I do. Please, I am sure in a future update with some slight changes both those who love the enhance button and those who do not, can operate Spotify in harmony again!

Holy **bleep** suddenly my Spotify app on iPhone turned the smart shuffle on even thought I remember turning it off when it asked me first time it was released. How the **bleep** do I turn it off??? Spotify is UNUSABLE with this smart shuffle**bleep**. I'm so freaking mad. Time to go back listening to local files while unsubrscribing to spotify. It's so annoying.

I can't even turn it off shuffle since accidentally enabling smart shuffle. It is RUBBISH! Get rid of it or allow subscribers to turn it off. We are paying for this app, we don't need Spotify teaming with collaborators to force feed us music we don't want to listen to.

In case no one has noticed, Spotify is not listening.  Cancel your subscription.  This is rubbish.  Tired of the aggravation and I have stopped paying to receive it. 

I’m also not a fan. It no longer prompts me but when I hit the shuffle button to turn off normal shuffle it goes into smart shuffle and there’s a delay before I can turn it off completely. Even once it’s off the recommendations remain in my playlist and I have to close and relaunch the app to get rid of them. This is incredibly annoying during a workout. Spotify has great playlists if I want new music I will listen to one of them I do not want them added to my carefully created playlists. Hope they make a settings option to disable this feature

I wish for the option to disable Smart Shuffle, not only because I'm not interested in it, but especially because it is bugged af. Everytime I switch from mandatory Smart Shuffle to normal shuffle, it says "Recommended songs removed from your playlist", but in fact my WHOLE PLAYLIST got removed. Then I have to perform an annoying workaround to reproduce my former playlist. A few days ago I wanted to hear locally saved music, because I had no internet and suddenly old friend Smart Shuffle appeared and got stuck in a loop, 'cause it couldn't find songs (I'm not interrested in) without internet. I had to restart Spotify to solve this but then the constant fear of good ol' Smart Shuffle lurking in the background, just waiting to f*** up my listening experience again, was my loyal companion. 

im this close to just canceling my subscription, same as you all. if i wanted to listen to songs that weren't on my playlists, i wouldnt have made those playlists in the first place!

as someone who likes to shuffle my playlists a few times, having to wait an extra 10-20 seconds every time just to enable and immediately disable a feature i don't even want is VERY frustrating!!!

I feel the same way. Literally all spotify has to do to fix this issue is make the ‘smart shuffle’ button a separate button from the regular shuffle button. That’s it.

Recently the workaround of turning off wifi and cellular (for mobile devices) to get the app to skip the smart shuffle loading times just to turn on and off regular shuffle again no longer works either.

I have been a loyal spotify premium user for years and used to sing spotify’s praises, even when I didn’t always love or agree with their new updates and changes/removal of features. Now though, this change is just experience-shattering and I can no longer bring myself to defend spotify to my family (who have been ready to stop our plan for a long time now because they do not use spotify as intensely as I do). I just hope spotify listens to us and fixes it soon.

Smart shuffle is gone for me! If that's a permanent change, thank you so much Spotify!

Gone here too, so happy! Never bring it back either please! 

Not gone for me, unfortunately. What device are you using?

It's been gone for me since I changed phones a couple of months back. I've been wary of every update pushed but so far the dreaded "smart" shuffle has not reappeared. 

Sony Xperia 5 IV on Android 13. 

Android. Latest app update was January 24th, but it's only been gone since February 2nd for me. No change in options or settings (available) in the app, so seems something that's enabled/disabled remotely (possibly in groups to test etc). It was enabled suddenly for me, without notification or whatever, and is gone the same way. Hopefully it does not come back. Wish I could tell you how though, so you could do the same to have to go away... 

Suggested posts