Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Introducing Smart Shuffle!

We know that our users love creating their own playlists to capture key moments in time – in fact, playlists created by users often become their most-streamed playlist for the first several months but listening to these playlists slowly fades overtime, and users are eager to discover new music.

With this in mind, we’re excited to launch a new play mode called Smart Shuffle that keeps listening sessions fresh and provides personalized recommendations that perfectly match any listeners’ playlist vibe. 

This update will roll out to Premium users on mobile devices starting today.

How does Smart Shuffle work?

• You can use it in any playlist created by you, and your Liked Songs.
  • To activate it, just use the Shuffle button to switch between regular play, Shuffle mode and Smart Shuffle.
  • When Smart Shuffle is on, recommendations are added to your session automatically. You can find all the recommendations sitting in your queue.
  • You will be able to recognize the music we are recommending with the sparkle () symbol next to the track. For a playlist with more than 15 songs, we’ll recommend one song for every three tracks.
  • And the best part, your original playlist remains untouched, so you can add any new track that catches your ear.
  • If you like a specific recommendation, just save it using the plus button in the Now Playing View. If that song doesn’t hit right, just tap the minus to remove it from the recommendations. This is then used to better adjust the suggestions we put forward.
  • Every time you turn Smart Shuffle off, a new mix will be available every time you activate it again.

Introductory pageIntroductory pageHow the queue will lookHow the queue will look

Joan_3-1678291160655.pngElena_1-1678292065514.png

Adding and removing recommendations.

shuffle.PNG

Different playback options.

FAQ

What about the Enhance feature?

For now, Smart Shuffle will replace the Enhance feature.

What will happen to Discover Weekly and other regularly updated playlists?

For the time being, no changes to those will be made. Smart Shuffle aims to improve the listening experience for user curated playlists.

Does this mean that using Smart Shuffle will cause my carefully curated playlists to get cluttered with new recommendations?

No! Your original playlist remains untouched, so you can add any new track that catches your ear. Smart Shuffle won’t change your playlist without your explicit permission. What changes instead is what you'll hear during each specific listening session

We hope you're as excited as we are about this new play mode. The official Newsroom announcement is out, you can check that out too. For any and all feedback on the matter you may have, you're more than welcome to comment in the thread below.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
1,263 Replies

I hate the Smart Shuffle, please give us an option to permanently disable it. Nobody asked for this, no one wants this. 

I completely agree. Please bring back the enhance button! The enhance button was a great feature, whereas the Smart Shuffle isn't.

I pay to listen to my music not the music you are paid to push on me.  Please stop forcing smart shuffle on people.  

The fix I use involves rolling back the Spotify app to versions before this dumb feature was implemented. If you're on Android, all you need to do is find a Spotify APK (like from APKPure) from before everything was changed and install it, then prevent automatic app updates from the Google Play Store. My shuffle button now is just a shuffle button like it used to be. If it helps, I'm on version 8.7.90.544. Keep in mind, this also means that you wont get any new "features" they add in the future but lets face it, everything they change ends up being garbage anyway so you're not missing anything in the long run.

Spotify Smart Shuffle still cannot be disabled 😞

I hate this sh!t

Whoever thought it was a good idea is too deep up their own **bleep**

Please add option to disable the smart shuffle! I want to quickly enable shuffle and this smart/enchanced shuffle takes sometimes up to 5 secs to toggle, and then another click for normal shuffle! Its been painful to quickly toggle ever since it was introduced!

As someone who very meticulously curates my playlists: Hate this entire thing. I would love to have a setting where I can permanently disable it on my entire account.

Also: I dislike the fact that I have to turn shuffle or non-shuffle or loop on for every playlist? If I'm on shuffle and I switch to another playlist, I want to keep it on Shuffle?

Please add a setting to disable smart shuffle. My phone will have shuffle off and just be going through my list and then it will randomly (without me even touching the phone) put it on smart shuffle and add songs I don't want to listen to.  It is SO ANNOYING. PLEASE add a way to disable it. 

Quite frankly, smart shuffle is inferior to enhance in every way. Enhance made it much easier to expand your playlist and music taste by adding new recommendations if you added an enhance song to your playlist, which smart shuffle doesn't allow. That's also not accounting for how nonsensical the UI is if you want to turn on smart shuffle. Why would you make it the same as the shuffle button, which has meant the same thing for as long as I can remember having spotify? Please bring back enhance

Hi, can you please count the growing numbers of complaints about this worst UX ever? We are currently talking about this “smart” shuffle and its implementation in a three step approach into an on/off button as an example for how to NOT do customer experience, thank you for that! As user, I realized that I simply merely use spotify anymore . And I wonder why aren’t you not following your rules/promises on high voted ideas? We are paying customers, well so far!

And when are you going to do something about it?

Unsubscribed from Spotify a few months ago because of this stupidity. Tried a couple different ones. TIDAL has been fantastic! PSA: Transfer your playlist with soundiiz. Only downside, no standalone (non stream from phone) speaker support.

How do I turn it off?

There needs to be a way to disable

this feature completely. So sick of trying to unshuffle and having to wait 20 seconds to go back to listening. 

Smart shuffle is trash. Why would i want to be forced into playing my playlist in shuffle mode to get recommendations. Having a new recommendation after every 3 songs in my custom ordered playlists is way better. Also, smart shuffle doesn't let you view the recommendations in your list, so I can't skim through all the suggested songs to see if I like them and add them to the playlist. Shuffling playlists became obsolete when the ipod shuffle did, back in 2006.

Am I the only one that absolutely hates that it's no longer an option to have Spotify recommend songs in the middle of your playlist? I'm trying to work out and Spotify keeps jamming Taylor Swift songs into a playlist titled "Rock and Metal". I'm paying money to listen to the music I want to listen to, and it's super irritating to have to constantly pause what I'm doing to fast forward through their recommendations. It's a dumb thing to get that worked up about, but I'm considering deleting my account if this change becomes permanent.

I really dislike the smart shuffle feature and would like a way to permanently turn it off.  Sometimes I want to listen to my playlists on shuffle, sometimes I don't - but I never want random songs added. With the smart shuffle addition, I have to toggle through multiple settings to listen to my music the way I want. I've also noticed that both on the app and my desktop, I will toggle the button - and smart shuffle ends up turned on even when I have watched / toggled multiple times to make sure that I'm leaving the playlist set to either traditional shuffle or with shuffle turned off.

Look, it's about time you guys noticed NO ONE enjoys this feature!

The least you should do for us is give us the OPTION to disable it permanently. And, if, sure, 3 people want to use it, they can enable it on their own app.

The addition of this feature not only annoys the heck out of me, it actually broke my regular shuffle button. My songs are not randomized when (mind you) I have to cycle through the 3 buttons, with the torturous wait for the recommended songs to get on and off, and when I select the non-randomized option while listening to my Liked Songs, their order is all kinds of messed up and don't reflect their position in the playlist.

LET US GET RID OF IT, FOR ALL OUR SAKES!

Suggested posts