Music Fan

Plan: Premium

Device

(iPhone 8 Plus)

Operating System

(iOS 13)

MacBook Air (OS 10.15.3)

My Question or Issue

I know this is the oldest problem ever, but I can’t figure it out. Somebody please tell me what I’m doing wrong.

I’m a musician and I regularly sync my demos into a Spotify playlist so i can evaluate them on the go. I’ve never had an issue syncing local files before. But now all the sudden it doesn’t work.

To be clear:

1. The file is a regular mp3, no weird formatting

2. It’s my own artist, track and album name so it’s not conflicting with meta data from songs on Spotify

3. My macbook and my iPhone are both on the same WiFi network

4. I have dragged the song from local files into a playlist that is set for offline listening

But it won’t download/sync to my phone. It’s making me nuts. Is there something I’m not thinking of? I’ve done this a thousand times before and never had an issue.

Please help!

9 Replies

MauiPuppy
Casual Listener

I figured out the solution!

In the Home window from the mobile app, go to settings in the top right corner, scroll down to local files, then enable local files sync. I can't believe I spent an hour fighting with support and they told me it wasn't possible anymore when it was that easy!

Let me know if this solves the problem for you 🙂

ashley_
Casual Listener

This worked for me too! I was following the instructions to delete my cache, then noticed the 'Local Files' option in the 'Settings' menu. It was un-ticked, so I ticked it back on. I went to the playlist on my iPhone (XR) and it showed it was loading, but it wasn't until I opened the Spotify playlist on my MacBook that it finally downloaded the local file on my iPhone.

Spotify needs to change that pop-up alert!

Ivan

Hey @ashley_

Thanks for posting here on the Community. 

We’re happy to hear deleting the cache and adjusting your settings fixed it for you. Rest assured we've passed your feedback on to the right folks as this helps us with further updates and improvements of the Spotify experience.

If you have any questions we're always one post away. 

Еnjoy your music!

IvanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
“Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp

ashley_
Casual Listener

Thank you, Ivan.

In regards to your Marilyn Manson quote underneath your post...over the past few weeks numerous women have come forward sharing their experiences of sexual, mental & physical abuse from Marilyn Manson. I’m not sure if that’s an automated quote from Spotify or shared by you specifically, but I hope you and Spotify consider the recent news when choosing who to support on this awesome platform.

Ivan

Hey @ashley_

Thanks for getting back to us. 

The quotes we put in our moderator signatures here on the Community aren't automated and everyone picks them by choice. For example, I chose to put this message as my signature since it expresses my personal taste in terms of music, without necessarily expressing my approval or support for the actions of the particular artist as a person.

The quote's message is indeed what we support and holds a value that goes beyond the individual to whom the quote belongs. 

Nonetheless, I decided to still change the quote based on a willingness to avoid any further confusion regarding this. 

Cheers! 

IvanModerator
“Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp

Mattmy
Visitor

Same problem iPhone 10XR

Ver

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Don't worry. Help is here 🙂

We'd suggest you restart your devices. Then you can try again syncing the local files. It's important that the app is opened on both devices.

If that doesn't help, you can check these steps and run a clean reinstall. By doing that you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not leading to any issues.

If that doesn't do the trick, you can restart the router. 

Keep us posted! If you have more questions, we are here for you.

VerModerator
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." ―Zig Ziglar

sergeyn

Hi

Same thing - local files syncing stopped working. I'm on the same network with my pc and my iphone and local files added on pc do not appear on my iphone recently. It worked a few months ago.

Obivxx
Casual Listener

Hi I use the exact same device an IPhone 8+ and my device is a High Spec Windows PC 64bit and i am doing the same thing but it seems i can't play my music on my phone please help?

SUGGESTED POSTS