Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mirror (or invert) playlist with custom order

Mirror (or invert) playlist with custom order

Hi everyone!

My question is if in some way my playlist, which has a personalized order, can be inverted so that the most recent songs appear at the top and not at the bottom. I have an iOS device.

Thanks!

9 Replies

Hey there @ttoto22

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome 🙂 

We'd recommend taking a look at this article where you'll find the steps to sort a playlist. 

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to let us know. 

Cheers. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for your reply.

I've looked at that article before, and unfortunately, it doesn't solve my concern.

The "closest" thing it shows is order my playlist according to the last songs added but this is not what I'm looking for, because it messes up my custom order.

I just want to make my playlist inverted (or mirrored) so that the most recent songs appear at the top and not at the bottom, keeping my custom ordering.

Thanks.

Hi @ttoto22,

Thanks for the reply.

If you go to the playlist> click the 3-dot menu> Sort by> Recently Added, you'll see a little green arrow appear. You can double click that to change the order from latest to oldest and vice versa.

Does this help?

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yes, but doing it that way messes up the order of my songs. Because I could have added a song X day, but then I edited and changed it to another position.

I want my list as is, but inverted. It is understood? My main language is not english and maybe I am not explaining myself well.

Thanks!

Hi again @ttoto22,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We're afraid that in a playlist sorted by custom order, the newly added songs will be at the bottom of the playlist and it isn't possible right now to invert that order. However, if you think this would appeal to other users as well, we recommend adding your idea to our Ideas board. Others can then vote for it or add to the conversation to show their support. You can find the steps to submit a new idea in this Spotify Answer.

You can also read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, we'll be right here.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

It is frankly ridiculous that "reverse custom order" doesn't exist in Spotify after so many years. This should be a basic feature. IMO on PC/MAC you should be able to shift select a bunch of songs in your playlist, right-click and get an option to "revererse order". On mobile it would be more difficult, but at least there should be a button to reverse the playlist while in custom order.

Sorting by date added is not a solution, since you might want to change the order after adding songs.

At the end of year I am always looking for this option…

I think, right now you can order your playlist based on: Title, Artist, Date Added, “Custom Order”. Etc. 

After you have selected how you want to sort your list you can “invert” the order using the arrow next to the option you selected or click again in the option to change the orientation of the arrow. 

Ex: if you select “Date added” the first song you added to your list will be on top down to the last one you added. If you want it “invert” you just click the arrow next to “Date Added” and you get the last song added on top down to the first one added. 

You have that feature in all the options except in “Custom order”. Now, Why would you want to “invert” your playlist sorted in “Custom order”? In my case, because of WRAPPED. 

Every year when Spotify launches Wrapped, your top songs playlist is sorted based on how many times you listen to that song. The most listened on top going down to the less listened. All your songs are added the same day in the playlist. 

Now if you want to listen to your top 100 starting from the bottom (Like a top list should be) you cannot do it, because all the songs were added the same day and that specific playlist is sorted by default in “Custom order”. That’s why I would like an option to “invert” the “custom order” sorted playlist, so in my case, I can begin listening to my top 100 playlist and finish with my most popular song. 

This option could add other benefits, but this is one of them.

I found a way but its kind of convoluted

1. Export your playlist to a CSV file in this page https://www.tunemymusic.com/transfer/spotify-to-file
  2. Invert the order of the songs in the CSV file with excel or an script, i did it with a python script using pandas
  3. Import your music to Spotify using the same page above, I recommend changing the name of the playlist to avoid problems
  4. Enjoy

Came to say that I would like this feature too. I have gone down my "liked songs" and added some to a playlist, but the older songs get added to the top of the play order. That's ok, but now I would like to reverse that order so the songs that I added first are now at the top, *and as I add new songs, I want them to land on the top too*. You cannot currently do this in Spotify without dragging *each song individually* to the top of the playlist.

The issue is that the only tool to edit your custom order is by dragging individual songs (individually or by group) and dropping them elsewhere, and its 2024 and that is an oversimplified UX. And there are a total of 8 playlist order "presets" that mostly function as gimmicks.

Don't get me wrong, I just want Spotify to better suit its users needs and be a more competitive music hub.

Suggested posts