Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Newer Local Files refuse to play

Newer Local Files refuse to play

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Everything else works just fine, even the older local files that I've downloaded like a year ago. But for some reason newer local files just don't, they download just fine but refuse to play. I'm gonna run through the troubleshooting I've been through, just in case anyone else is running into this issue (which I know there are). I've tried reinstalling both my pc app and mobile app (which sucked because now I have to download my music on my phone again, all 900 songs). I've tried relocating my music to a different file, which as you can see didn't work. My pc and phone are on the same internet. I've deleted my local.files.bnk or whatever that file name was and that also didn't work. I've logged in and out multiple times to get it to refresh which seemed to do something but it still didn't play.  I moved my local files into a playlist (this is something i never did) and tried downloading all my local files, it downloaded all of them, and even amongst the many WORKING music files, the newer ones still didn't work. I've checked for recent updates and got nothing. That's about everything I've tried, I'm sure this has something to do with a new update, but if anyone finds a fix or has a suggestion, I'm all ears. P.S (once I get my phone music downloaded, I'll see if I can get a screen recording of this issue 

6 Replies

Hey @Picaron,

Thanks for the post and for the detailed description of the troubleshooting you've gone through.

With the recent app update there has been a new Local file system released. Try the following:

• Activate Local File Discovery by toggling "Show local audio files" in the app's settings.
  • Check if the new songs have special characters in them (!, @, $, * etc.) or have letters from languages that don't use the standard English alphabet, and replace those, as they might be causing issues on some devices.
  • Try uploading the files using a different network connection.
  • Moving their local files to different folder or place, e.g. External to Internal storage.
  • Try other file formats.
  • Double-check that Spotify is granted all permission on your device.
    Let us know how it goes 🙂

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The new songs do not have any special characters

Hi again @Picaron,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you confirm if you tried all the other suggestions that @Alex mentioned above?

Give them a try and keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Yep, tried everything suggested. Renamed Files, renamed the songs to have less punctuation, Moved the file to a different location on my PC, Made a new file and transferred everything onto that file and tried a different network. The only thing I'm confused about is this "show local files button" I have a local files button on my phone and computer, both are switched on. But it says "Local audio files" not "show local files", I'm not sure if that means anything but I'll put it here just in case.

I’m attaching a screen recording of the issue, the song that actually worked is a local file 

09FEF035-C96A-4858-AD43-8611D61E5581.png

Hey @Picaron,

Thanks for the keeping us posted 🙂

Indeed the option "Local audio files" should be turned on in order to activate local file discovery.

In this case it's a good idea to check if the option "Show unavailable songs in playlists" in your app's settings is turned off. If it is, you can turn it on. Does that make a difference?

Keep us in the loop.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts