Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist Thumbnails Blank

Solved!

Playlist Thumbnails Blank

Plan: Premium

Device: PC

Operating System: Windows 10

As you can see from this screenshot, I have created many playlists. (You are looking at the contents of my "Chilled" folder.) For some reason, many of them have defaulted to a boring grey default thumbnail.

2022-07-25 16_42_15-Window.png

This happens quite often, and it's been happening for many months. As you can see, some of the playlists have auto-generated thumbnails, but not others. 

I have restarted many times, obviously, over the months. I have logged out and back in again. Nothing helps. 

Hopefully someone can provide assistance.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I figured out the problem. I had created several sub-folders and for some reason when I click on the "Chilled" folder, Spotify does not resolve the thumbnail images of the items inside those sub-folders. I have remedied the problem by only using root-level folders. 

Thank you for your time and I apologize for the confusion. (This is likely a very rare problem, but there may be other folks in a similar situation. Perhaps Spotify coders could figure out a way to fix this? Or put something in the documentation, if it cannot be fixed?)

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey @DukeSkath,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Let's try a clean reinstall and see how the app behaves afterwards. Here is described how to do one. 

It's also important to check, if a different account behaves the same on your current device.

Also try connecting to a different network, e.g. a hot spot from your phone.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thank you for attempting to help me. I did a clean reinstall and it did not help, as you can see from this new screenshot:

2022-07-26 08_54_37-Window.png

I do not have access to any other accounts, and my PC does not have a wifi card. 

What is my next step to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Hey @DukeSkath,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you create a new account for testing purposes?

Are you using the Microsoft Store version of the app or you've downloaded it from the Spotify site? Try switching between the two.

If your phone is capable of USB-tethering, you can try that out as a different internet connection. Do reset the router though, if possible.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I was using the app from the web, and I switched to the Windows Store version. Didn't help. 

My phone is not capable of USB tethering. Trying to replicate this problem with a new account seems like a big investment of time for no clear payoff. 

Thank you for trying to help. I guess I'm just stuck with this. 

Marked as solution

I figured out the problem. I had created several sub-folders and for some reason when I click on the "Chilled" folder, Spotify does not resolve the thumbnail images of the items inside those sub-folders. I have remedied the problem by only using root-level folders. 

Thank you for your time and I apologize for the confusion. (This is likely a very rare problem, but there may be other folks in a similar situation. Perhaps Spotify coders could figure out a way to fix this? Or put something in the documentation, if it cannot be fixed?)

This isn't really a solution. As near as I can tell, Spotify actively designs things so that it's impossible for users to have anything resembling an old-school music library of albums by artists. The "Library has no way to sort albums you've added, resulting in a wall of album thumbnails that is impossible to find anything in. So I resort to creating playlists of albums but to organize them I have folders for genres and subfolders for bands but the playlists won't display the album covers. It's all highly annoying and I really feel like this is by design on Spotify's part.

Suggested posts