Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

User Created Auto Playlists?

User Created Auto Playlists?

I just got the email from Google about Google Music going away.  The problem is, I use a 3rd Party Plugin called "Auto Playlists" that uses the Google Music API to allow me to create my own custom Auto Playlists.  You can use very complicated formulas with AND/OR and grouping so like create a playlist that the date of the song release is newer than 1/1/2020 OR the song as last played more than 90 days ago.  Or create a play list that contains only songs I've liked AND are in the hip-hop or R&B genre. 

This function is CRITICAL to me as othewise I have to manually build these playlists and they don't automatically update as I add songs to my library.

I'm getting ready to transfer but if this capability isn't there and there's no API that provides the same capability as Google Music to achieve the same thing (assuming the developer would rewrite the code for YouTube Music), then this really is the time I need to consider transferring to a different music streaming and library management service (like Spotify).  Although the last time I checked a year or two ago, no streaming service offered a user-created auto playlist function with that type of advanced formula capability.  It really shows that many developers in these music apps aren't really in touch with what more sophisticated music enthusiasts (aka DJ's) really need.

What's the current status of Spotify's capabilities as far as created your own Auto Playlists based of formulas for song create date, rating, last listen date, genre, etc etc?

3 Replies

Well, after some searching, found this and it looks like the only option out there (that wasn't previously abandoned by the developer.)

https://plylst.app/

It doesn't allow you to build as sophisticated of formulas like AutoPlayList for Google Play Music, but better than nothing.

Well, plylst has now been abandoned too. If anyone can find something similar let me know .. I've had no luck searching so far.

Haven't used smarterplaylists much (or Google music/Autoplaylist) but it could be worth looking into http://www.playlistmachinery.com/ I've linked the page to all the tools plamere has made in case you or anyone else is interested in the others

Suggested posts