Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Unable to Dislike Songs in Discover Weekly Playlist

Solved!

[iOS] Unable to Dislike Songs in Discover Weekly Playlist

I'm having issues with the dislike button on my Discover Weekly playlist not showing up. I'm using an iPhone 6s with the most current version of the app installed. I can go on to my desktop app to dislike songs, but that doesn't register on my iPhone. So I'm still hearing songs I've disliked via the desktop app on my iPhone. Again, my app is updated to the current version. I am able to like songs within my discover weekly playlist on my iPhone but I am not able to dislike songs. Very frustrating as you can imagine. The main reason I use spotify is for the discover weekly and daily mixes playlists. If I'm unable to curate my discover weekly playlist by like and disliking songs via iPhone (my primary listening device) I no longer see the point in paying for Spotify. If this isn't resolved soon I am certainly canceling my membership. Again, frustrating to say the least. 

(iOS 13.4.1 and Spotify Version 8.5.55)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey again,

Thanks for your patience while we were looking into this!

We're always testing things in the app to improve its functionality. While this happens, you might see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or you could get a new feature to try out temporarily.

This would explain why you're having troubles to see the dislike button in the Now Playing View of your Discover Weekly in the mobile app.

However, for now, you should be able to hide any tracks you'd like to not listen to by clicking the three-dot menu and tapping Hide this song.

Hope this info is useful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey there @foobarbar,

Thanks for sharing this!

Rest assured that we'll pass this along to the right folks. 

Bear in mind that in the meanwhile you should still be able to hide any tracks you'd like to not listen to by clicking the three-dot menu and tapping Hide this song.

Further, if you'd like to make any specific feature requests, you can always do so in our Idea Exchange. This gives the opportunity to other Spotify users to add their support by adding their +VOTE and comments to ideas they'd also like to see. 

If you're curious on how ideas get implemented and how your feedback reaches the teams internally through ideas, we'd recommend taking a look at this Spotify Answer

Hope this is a bit more helpful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else! We'll be happy to lend a hand.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator

Marked as solution

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all the reports so far. We've checked things backstage and it appears that this feature has been changed with our recent updates.

We can confirm that, at the moment, the "Dislike" icon is only available directly on the Now Playing view for users on the Free plan. 

If you’re a Premium user you can still dislike tracks in any playlist you don’t own from within the context menu (3 dots). If you'd like to change the placement back to the Now Playing view, you can always submit a new idea for it in the Idea Exchange - it’s the best way to provide your feedback for new features such as this one.

There is already an existing idea which suggests something similar - feel free to add your vote to it here.

Hope this info is useful. Give us a shout if there's anything else we can help you with.

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

35 Replies

Hey there @sloanlennon

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

Most common issues can be fixed with a quick reinstall of the app. In some situations however, a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the app might be needed. This way you can start afresh with Spotify on your iPhone. 

Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall on the affected device. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

I am having the same issue on my iPhone (but not on my Windows PC). I have tried a quick reinstall as well as a clean reinstall. The dislike button shows up for the first time I load the app after the reinstall, but if I close the app and re-open it, the dislike button disappears from the Discover Weekly playlist (it is still showing up in the Daily Mix playlists).

I also tried to offload the app, delete the app, then reinstall. The dislike button shows up in the discover weekly playlist the first time I open the app after the reinstall, but if I close the app and re-open it, the dislike button disappears again from the Discover Weekly playlist.

Same thing here.

I've tried a "Clean reinstall" a couple times, but still I have no dislike button, either in mu phone or an iPad.

Mac Desktop app seems ok, though.

I don’t know how clean reinstall could help here. There is no Dislike button anymore in Spotify playlists. Use Hide song instead.

Same problem here. I really miss the dislike buttons. It shows up on my desktop app just not on iPhone.  

Same problem here as well.

I did try to follow the clean-reinstall procedure and like&dislike button showed up at the beginning, but unfortunately after once I turn off and reopen it the button will disappear again. Hope there’s other solution to fix this issue.

btw I use iPhone SE2 and iOS version is 13.4.1

@Mofun wrote:

I did try to follow the clean-reinstall procedure and like&dislike button showed up at the beginning, but unfortunately after once I turn off and reopen it the button will disappear again.

They replaced Dislike with Hide song, just press ... link next to a track in playlist.

It's not the same thing, and I don't want to go through a menu just to let be known I  don't like a music. 

We should have a one-button way to avoid specific songs/artists.

Why fix what is not broken?

@12165371055 wrote:

It's not the same thing, and I don't want to go through a menu just to let be known I  don't like a music. 

We should have a one-button way to avoid specific songs/artists.

Why fix what is not broken?

What to say on this? I see it as a total marketing decision. Spotify is a music on demand service, they don't want you to dislike what they offer.

That’s  not it though because the dislike button is still showing up on other playlists (like Daily Mixes) and on PC but just not Discover Weekly on iOS. 

This is not the case for iOS. There is only "like" button, but no "block" button in Discover Weekly or Release Radar playlists. Just if you go deeper in the song settings you may "Hide song".

@dislikebutton wrote:

That’s  not it though because the dislike button is still showing up on other playlists (like Daily Mixes) and on PC but just not Discover Weekly on iOS. 

I can’t say anything about PC version, but I don’t see Dislike anywhere on mobile app. There’s Hide button where Dislike used to be.

hide.jpg

Yep, I am not seeing that button on my Discover Weekly playlist though. See screenshots from Discover Weekly versus Daily Mix. 

99DFB645-AE73-4B5F-8E2C-27E15C6DE01C.png

@dislikebutton wrote:

I am not seeing that button on my Discover Weekly playlist though.

I don't know why they use different layouts for different playlists, it is bad UI. But Hide button is hidden in Discover Weekly under ... link.

If that was me, I would suggest pretty simple solution, that benefits all. All controls are low, Like and Hide are close to the track title, feels right.

New Layout.jpg

Hey there folks, 

We really appreciate you reporting this here in the Community!

We've passed your reports on to our tech teams to look into.

If you're having troubles with the dislike/hide button on your iOS device, make sure to add your +VOTE and leave a comment with the following details so we can pass them along:

• Your device 
  • The OS version of your device
  • Exact version of the Spotify app
  • The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far
  • Any screenshots or screenrecordings of what's happening for you would be very helpful. Just make sure that there's no sensitive/private info displayed.

We'll keep you updated here, thanks!

KaterinaModerator

• iPhone XR
  • iOS 13.4.1
  • Spotify 8.5.57.1042

@Katerina 

Agreed.  “Hiding” a song (The new Dislike) should not only hide the song from the list and device you are listening to but it should obviously transfer that decision to all devices that you are logged into (just like the like function does).  Moreover, it should hide that song in all future playlists that it might be included in.  Trust me.  If I hide a song, it is because I do not want to hear it ever again and I am extremely annoyed at Spotify when I am forced to.

Marked as solution

Hey again,

Thanks for your patience while we were looking into this!

We're always testing things in the app to improve its functionality. While this happens, you might see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or you could get a new feature to try out temporarily.

This would explain why you're having troubles to see the dislike button in the Now Playing View of your Discover Weekly in the mobile app.

However, for now, you should be able to hide any tracks you'd like to not listen to by clicking the three-dot menu and tapping Hide this song.

Hope this info is useful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator

Suggested posts