Encrypted SD Card Saving Bug - Samsung Galaxy S7

user-removed
Not applicable

I guess I run into a bug. Can you verify or possibly offer a solution?

Pre-requisites:

1- Android Encrypted SD Card

Steps:

1- Open App

2- Select SD Card as Storage

3- Download a playlist

4- Restart the device

Expected:

Storage stays as SD Card

Result:

Storage changed to Internal.

App Tries to re-download the playlist.

32 Replies

Re: Encrypted SD Card Saving Bug - Samsung Galaxy S7

Autotime
Roadie

I can duplicate the exact same problem.

If you download a lot of music and have a lot of photo on your SD card you can make this issue happen too WITHOUT encryption.

During testing with SD encryption I was able to duplicate my issue 100% of the time.

FYI

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.packagedisabler&hl=en

Disable Spotify before reboot and you will not loose the downloads under any circumstances (encypted or not)

Please submit this to spotify support email too support@spotify.com

They are 100% ignoring me on this issue and sending back the same CANNED response every time.

It is very normal to have an encrypted SD card and suggested by.

At least the app should prompt you to wait or default back to normal

Autotime
Roadie
FYI I don't think this problem existed in older versionsister.

I would bet there is part of the software that when fails reading assumes the SD is removed and defaults to internal to avoid hanging or crashing.

You are so correct in the other topic.

a simple option in the settings to force wait for external sd.

Or to delay Start by so many seconds would workaround this issue.

Of course if the SD card wasn't inserted it could make the program hang thus as an advanced menu option would be a good idea.

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey @Autotime

I think it's a new bug too. IMHO this will be considered as a minor bug because not many users will be effected by this. You know people don't restart their devices or encrypt SDCards, don't have 4GB of ram that can fire background services this fast etc 🙂 So solution will be released at least in a couple of weeks.

Admins will hear our voice, may be they thank us 😛 We should save our playlists into internal storage until this problem solved.

@Admin, you can contact with me if necessary. I'm a mobile application developer too so I can try anything you need and provide logcat logs. 

Autotime
Roadie

Laughing a little today by my email where spotify asked if i had a rooted phone and if i have the current version.

@admins

They don't seem to understand the issue.  

Zero response saying they understand the issue any information I gave them.

I have isolated that encrypting the SD card makes the error happen almost 100% of the time

however still happens without encryption once your sd card has more files on it like VR Gear games and photos.

Suggestions like don't put anything else on my SD is out to lunch it occurs always in time.

Its  Crazy that support can't say they understand the problem.

I will now as directly ask spotify again and see if i get the same canned response I have recevied several time.

And I got premium too.

Autotime
Roadie
Hey check this out with the old version i downloaded

Spotify actually Displays an notification of storage error on boot and doesn't trash the settings and cache. I wonder how new you can go before the problem starts.

After full boot all works fine every time.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hn5eurs83daxjpc/AACLpOtgYuEjNwoyYEuZiymKa?dl=0

Sounds like they broke something in spotify.
Would be nice if they accepted that it isn't our phone or our error.

As a customer I understand the world isn't perfect and programming will have bugs along the way.

But it is really frustrating when you ask spotify if they understand the issue and the answer is
Format your sd card.

Why don't they listen to what you say when you ask for support.

A conversion means both people listen and spotify support only has the ignorance or ignore and send the same canned response every time.

Autotime
Roadie
V5.2.0.885 is the latest version without this issue. I have the same problem spotify will not accept this bug from me.

Maybe you can confirm the results.

Newer versions unlink all cached data if the SD isn't 100% ready on boot and the service starts.

ajhughes127
Same issue here. Very annoying. In order to get my work email on my phone, encryption of the SD card is required. However, every time I restart, I lose all of my downloaded songs on my SD card. The files are still on the card, but Spotify doesn't recognize them. It switches to internal storage. Changing Spotify storage back to the SD card doesn't force it to recognize them either. You have to completely download them. Same if I have 1 song downloaded or 1000 songs downloaded. Spotify premium member for years here. Samsung Galaxy S7 from Verizon. Latest android software installed. Not rooted.

Joe
Community Legend

Hey guys, one of you should post full details of this over in https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/idb-p/Spotify_Bugs/status-key/New_bug_report

Autotime
Roadie
Spotify is aware of the problem.

They have communicated with me they understand the issue and are fixing it.

After months of being stuck at 5.2.885 I am getting upset. All newer versions have this issue. Please fIle a report that it is broken after 5.2.885 if you want this fixed.

It's obviously not a priority at the moment.
SUGGESTED POSTS