Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

1st edition iPod Touch

Solved!

1st edition iPod Touch

Hi,

I have been running Spotify with a subscription quite happily on my 1st edition 16GB iPod Touch for quite a while now. Today, I decided to do reset the device but now I am finding that I cannot reinstall the Spotify app to my IPod.

I know you say that the latest version does not support older IOS devices but it has been running without issues for me for quite a while. How do I get the app back on my device, I do not want to cancel my subscription.

Paul...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey,

An iPod touch will work with the regular iPhone app in the same way that it does on the iPhone (except that internet access is only over wi-fi).

However,  iOS 4 is a requirement in the latest releases of the Spotify iPhone app. Any iPod touch version that cannot be upgraded to iOS 4 cannot run the Spotify app.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Gotten any further on this!?

Marked as solution

for all those looking for a way of playing spotify on the 1st gen touch (and are  jailbroken) here are links to a working version...

http://www.mediafire.com/?eh1699bg228qiri

http://depositfiles.com/files/8l3figfke

http://www.4shared.com/mobile/7k4wYii4/Spotify__v0413_LP_os30_-most_u.html

22 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey,

An iPod touch will work with the regular iPhone app in the same way that it does on the iPhone (except that internet access is only over wi-fi).

However,  iOS 4 is a requirement in the latest releases of the Spotify iPhone app. Any iPod touch version that cannot be upgraded to iOS 4 cannot run the Spotify app.

-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Well that statement is not correct because I have been running Spotify on my 1st gen iPod Touch for about 1 year. It's only stopped working because I have done a reset. When I originally installed Spotify, the 1st gen iPod Touch was a supported device and it has been working ever since then untill I did a reset.

When I did upgrades to the app, it would not install using the device, but syncing the app from iTunes would always allow the device to take the upgrade. So I guess the way to go is get the old version on the device and upgrade the same way as before.

Where can I download old versions of the app and how do I get that onto my IPod Touch?

BTW - I am a paying subscriber so if this doesn't work on my device (even though I have been using it on this device for the last year) what am I paying for?

Paul...

It states on the App Store Spotify is "Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.0 or later" 1st gen iPod Touch only supports up to 3.13. Either you need to find an older version of the app in your music folder that was downloaded by iTunes thats works or cancel your service. You said yourself that you reset your iPod and you had to have updated the app in iTunes for it to no longer work.

I have the same problem. Spotify, please make an old version of the app available for iOS 3.13 users! It can not be that you scare away happy customers just because they are not buying new hardware every other year.

"every other year"

Every five years?

i have solved your problem just jailbreak your 1st gen ipod touch then install installous then just download old version of spotify just try wich one that works 

All the Installous download links are broken. I have been googling like a maniac and still did not found old version of Spotify... 😞 I would like to have it back to my iTouch 1G. I have the same problem than the starter of this topic.
Marked as solution

Gotten any further on this!?

I'm also waiting...

The solution for me will be Grooveshark, me thinks..

@russtm wrote:

It states on the App Store Spotify is "Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.0 or later" 1st gen iPod Touch only supports up to 3.13. Either you need to find an older version of the app in your music folder that was downloaded by iTunes thats works or cancel your service. You said yourself that you reset your iPod and you had to have updated the app in iTunes for it to no longer work.

Where is this mentioned on the Spotify site? You know, the place where I signed up for the account and paid my hard earned money? 

And yes "every other year" you tard. Just wait, Spotify won't work on iOS 4.0 real soon and you be having a conniption fit of your own. It's not too hard to post backups for those of us who aren't willing to spend another $300 just for one app or two to work. 

I don't understand why it's the PAYING SUBSCRIBER's fault for not wanting to spend a ton of money on an mobile device to oonly add feature I dont two sh!ts about. - Camera's, Netflix, **bleep**ty external speaker, etc. I can't even carry a new ipod touch into work because of security restricitons on cameras. 

If Spotify was to mention on the compatibility page on the main site that its iOS 4.0 or higher, then I could go with it - I would have had fair warning to not subscribe to the service. Just saying Ipod touch and Iphone are listed with ZERO SPECIFICS is super deceptive figuring there are so many **bleep** models and now only one or two work.

Look at the Android side - It still works on 1.6 and higher - Why is this so difficult?

Hi evilcrusher- I'm sorry to hear you've had this issue with your iPhone touch, but the iOS 4 requirement is stated on our website right here

Of course there are other benefits to being a Premium subscriber, including the ability to take your Spotify abroad and enhanced sound quality. Please let us know if there are any other queries we can help you with. 

@evilcrusher wrote:

Where is this mentioned on the Spotify site? You know, the place where I signed up for the account and paid my hard earned money? 

I could not find anything on the site about the 1st Ipod touch generation as well... so to clarify this:

You cannot use the Spotify app with a 1st generation Ipod (ofc without jailbreak)

What about offline usage as a Premium user? Is that possible somehow with an ipod 1st generation?

I am really looking forward to become a Premium user but I just have a 1st generation ipod touch which I dont want to replace with any other device since its working perfectly.

thanks for the answer

hansDampf

HansDampf - You're correct, you cannot use the Spotify app with an iPod touch 1st Generation. As the iPod cannot support the app, you will also be unable to listen to your offline tracks.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?
Marked as solution

for all those looking for a way of playing spotify on the 1st gen touch (and are  jailbroken) here are links to a working version...

http://www.mediafire.com/?eh1699bg228qiri

http://depositfiles.com/files/8l3figfke

http://www.4shared.com/mobile/7k4wYii4/Spotify__v0413_LP_os30_-most_u.html

Hi,

I'm in the same situation, so it's not clear for me what is possible to do with my ipod 1:

Without jailbreak:

• no app spotify
  • just possible to use spotify as itunes, to synchronise my own music

With the app:

• use streamed spotify music through wifi
  • select tracks and listen to them without internet access

Actually, isn't it possible to select tracks on the computer for offline listening which would later be synchronized on the ipod without the mobile app ?

Regards

M

monkeybusiness: Thank you SO MUCH! It works! Smiley Very Happy

Strange thing is it worked fine by me when I had a premium account, since I just use a non paying account the app doesn't work anymore. Have no idea what which generation my Ipod is of 😕 but I recently updated the ios to ios 5 so... acoording to the website it must work.

Spotify mobile devices (as well as ipod) works only for premium members. https://www.spotify.com/fi/get-spotify/overview/

Suggested posts