Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

A question before purchasing spotify.

Solved!

A question before purchasing spotify.

Hello all,

So I have been using spotify free for a few months now and want to upgrade to Premium although I have a problem.

Im looking to listen to spotify offline with my iPhone 4.

Although.. my iPhone WIFI is broken. I understand this is nothing to do with spotify but I am wondering if this means I will not be able to use my phone with spotify to listen to music? Does this give limitations with syncing? I was wondering if there was a way of syncing without using wifi like from a USB connected to my PC which does have wifi?

So in conclusion is there no possible way to use spotify premium with my iPhone?

Many thanks to a great community.

Nick

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

but if I was to set playlists offline am I correct in saying that no data will be used when listening

That is correct, if you are listening to an offline playlist but the overall application is in online mode (you can set an application offline mode from the settings menu) then it might use a tiny amount of data to report social activity to Spotify "x is currently listening to y" kinda thing. 

If you force the application into total offline mode (so it can only play offline playlists) then it shouldn't use any data at all. 

And is there anywhere I can find out how much data would be used when syncing the playlists making them ready for offline use?

The application won't tell you how much data, but you can guesstimate. At maximum quality (extreme - 320kbps) a 4 minute track will be approx 9MB of data. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hi Nick,

You will be able to use Spotify on your iPhone and stream tracks (and sync offline playlists) via your mobile network data connection (just be wary of high data usage!). However, you will not be able to sync local files (which you own) from your computer to your iPhone for usage inside Spotify without a working WiFi connection. 

Peter

Peter

Hello Peter, 

Many thanks for the reply, 

That is good to know thank you, I was not really bothered about local files so that sounds okay, but if I was to set playlists offline am I correct in saying that no data will be used when listening? 

And is there anywhere I can find out how much data would be used when syncing the playlists making them ready for offline use?

Thanks again for all your help so far,

Nick  

Marked as solution

but if I was to set playlists offline am I correct in saying that no data will be used when listening

That is correct, if you are listening to an offline playlist but the overall application is in online mode (you can set an application offline mode from the settings menu) then it might use a tiny amount of data to report social activity to Spotify "x is currently listening to y" kinda thing. 

If you force the application into total offline mode (so it can only play offline playlists) then it shouldn't use any data at all. 

The application won't tell you how much data, but you can guesstimate. At maximum quality (extreme - 320kbps) a 4 minute track will be approx 9MB of data. 

Peter

Peter

Many thanks Peter, a brilliant help.

Cheers Nick

Suggested posts