Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Album Playback Green Button operates in shuffle mode - can it be changed?

Album Playback Green Button operates in shuffle mode - can it be changed?

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

iPhone 8 

Operating System

IOS 13

My Question or Issue

Why does the iOS Green Playback button operate as a shuffle only playback button? Is there any way to change the behavior of the Green Playback button on the upper right when you search and locate an album. Furthermore, this (assuming this is the default behavior and there's no setting to change it in iOS) is inconsistent with the Desktop App which does not operate in shuffle mode . I'm attaching screenshots to show what I'm referring to. And btw, I am aware that if I select the first track of an album it will play in sequential order. However, its rather cumbersome when there's a big, nice, green button to press, which stands out above all else on the screen. 

Ideally, I'd rather hit play to the start of the album directly from the search result, rather than having to select the album,  wait for it to load before I can then select/play to the first track in the list. 

spotify_ios_shuffle.jpg

spotify_desktop_app.jpg

4 Replies

I am also having this issue.

I posted an additional topic but a moderator decided to mark it as spam (???).

As playlists and albums are mostly designed to be played back in a specified order it's important for a consistent playback experience between desktop and mobile devices.

This is a major problem for the user experience on iOS.

The fact that this is the default option and there's no way to change it is beyond me. I honestly thing they need to look at their competitor UIs. Not to plug any others out there but please use this feedback and improve the UI to improve the overall user experience! 

I'm having the same trouble with the latest iPhone app - and it's now September, 2021. (If there's a solution on here and I've missed it then has a very good hiding place). I am very happy with Spotify overall - but to have shuffle as the default does my head in. It would be best for the paying customer to choose whether they want shuffle, not be forced into it. Plus, album track order isn't meant to be messed with - I mean - shuffle away if you prefer, but they should initially be presented as the artist wanted. Personally, I'd like to disable shuffle until the end of time. Thanks for a great service Spotify - but please stop shuffle being so bossy on the iphone app! Cheers.

Hey @Padmafrench,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community!

If you press play on the first song in an album/a playlist (not the big green play button on the cover of the album or playlist) then the playback order should follow the one set in the album/playlist. However if you press the large green play button it starts the playback in a shuffle mode. 

Also, other users seem to have gathered around a similar idea here - it's about removing the shuffle feature. You can add your vote there if you like and follow it for further developments on this topic.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts