Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App crashes if in background or phone locked

App crashes if in background or phone locked

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

iPhone 11

Operating System

iOS 14.8

My Question or Issue

Spotify crashes ~30-90 seconds after putting app in background or locking screen while app is in foreground. When I open the app again, it’s paused at the start of the song, not at the location in the song during the crash.

I have tried:

logging out and logging back in

uninstalling and reinstalling

updating operating system and then uninstalling/reinstalling

ensuring all permissions for Spotify app are on

ensuring no battery optimization is on

this happens while connected to wifi or not. The app is unusable in this state. Thanks.

Top Answer
Xenia

Hey folks,

We'd like to take a closer look at what's happening, it seems that other users are experiencing the same issue. There's another thread here where we keep everyone updated, which sounds similar to what you're describing - please head over there to add your details, so we have all the info in one place.

Thanks!

26 Replies

Hi again @jpeez,

Thanks for that info.

That sounds like it's related to this Ongoing Issue, which the right teams are already looking into. We suggest adding your +Vote and Subscribe to it. We'll keep everyone posted there as soon as we have an update.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Still happens for me too after all previous solutions. No excessive battery drain.  iPhone 13 Pro

I updated to iOS 15 over the weekend and did  another clean uninstall/reinstall and it appears to have worked for me. Haven’t had any interruptions in playback with and without low power mode on and also don’t notice excessive battery drain. Background app refresh is on normally and gets turned off automatically in low power mode.

I’m now having the same issue. It crashes as soon as the phone locks and restarts the song. I’m on an iPhone 12, iOS 14.8.1, and I just updated to the latest Spotify app, 8.6.78.419. 

I am having this same issue as of this morning, excessive heat and battery drain and Spotify will not run unless opened and on screen, when device is locked or app is in the background it will crash after about 45 seconds. Can’t listen to any music period unless left open on screen and that kills the battery within 15 minutes. I have gone through every form of trouble shooting on this thread as well as others not in this thread and nothings worked. I’m on the most recent update as of around 21 hours ago but was working fine after the update only had issues as of recently.

Hey, I think this thread started in September, so it may be worth it to start a new thread on this if it’s a new issue from the latest update.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Chat/How-do-I-start-a-new-topic-on-a-different-board/td-p/4798037

Hey folks,

We'd like to take a closer look at what's happening, it seems that other users are experiencing the same issue. There's another thread here where we keep everyone updated, which sounds similar to what you're describing - please head over there to add your details, so we have all the info in one place.

Thanks!

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts