Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Apple stereo homepod set out of sync

Apple stereo homepod set out of sync

I'm using Spotify with a stereo Apple Homepod set, that is supported from ios 11.4.

The two speakers recognize each other, and after configuring the stereo mode in the home app, they act like a couple of stereo speakers.

Very often, the two speakers, just after starting playback, get slightly out of sync, causing an annoying bouncing audio effect. The problem just happens using spotify, does not happen using default player.

Plan

Premium

Country

Italy

Device

(iPhone 7,)

Operating System

(iOS 11.4)

23 Replies

Hey, thanks for reaching out.

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstallation of the app. Just follow the steps here. Try to update the HomePods firmware as well, if one is available for them 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest!

Of course installed and reinstalled everything many times, both Homepods have last firmware (11.4), same as IOS. (11.4)

Also both Homepods have been factory reseted many times.

Spotify is IOS version 8.4.53.689

I've the impression Spotify not supporting AirPlay2 correctly... but i can be wrong.

Hey @Jined1,

Sorry for the delay!

Could you try to reset your home router to see if it helps? 

Let me know how it goes 🙂

didnt help

Hey @Jined1,

Sorry for the inconvenience!

An update has been seede by Apple. Please update and let me know 🙂

Yeah, Apple issued 11.4.1, both ios and homepod firmware, but that didn't fix the problem, the two speakers still go out of sync each other, quite often on Spotify.

Hey @Jined1,

Hope you are doing great!

Please check this FAQ about AirPlay.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Hi, 

I have the same issue than Jined1, the 2 homepods are get slightly out of sync somotimes.

I will add, when the synchronization is perfect, we have the impression that the sound is not in stereo, but that each Homepod plays in mono in perfect synchronization.
Listen to the same song on Spotify and Apple music is really different.

I'm using 2 Homepods in stereo (os 11.4.1), iPhone X (ios 11.4.1) , and Spotify 8.4.65

updated ios to 12 and homepod firmware, also since i reported the bug.. 3 more updates of Spotify, but the issue is still there. Stereo homepod set just goes slightly out of sync, with Spotify. I suggest this to be reported to Spotify devs

The issue is that spotify doesn't properly implement AirPlay 2 streaming.

I have the same problem. In fact, restarting a track gives different results almost every time. Sometimes everything works. Stop and start track again, it doesn't work. Stop and start track again, and it works. 

About half the time, one of my Homepods lose syncronization and you have that characteristic phase difference that cause a reverberated ("bouncy") sound.

Unfortenately, this is a huge issue for me. I did not spend €700 on speakers to have them sound like **bleep**. Since it doesn't happen in Apple Music (as it does not, in fact, use Airplay, I would persume?) I'm very tempted to transition. Also, I don't know if this is a problem with Spotify, Airplay 2 or the Homepod, which makes a solution unlikley? I have a feeling that everyone will blame the others. 

TLDR: After a few days of intensive listening I have no choice but to conclude that this problem is, indeed, an issue with Spotify and/or its Airplay component . It surprised me as I thought that the Airplay 2 implementation only was up to Apple. But whatever is going on happens only when i use Spotify, so there's definitely something wrong in Spotify.

Following up on my post from two days ago, I'll try to be as thorough as possible in the hopes that someone else could replicate or (even better) for Spotify to respond.

Equipment: Two Apple Homepods (12.0); iPhone 7 Plus (12.0.1); Ipad Mini 2 (12.0.1), Apple Macbook Pro 15 (late 2016) (10.14); Apple Time Capsule router.

When listening to music played on Spotify, though Airplay 2, the sound exhibit two major flaws:

1. Intermittent sync problem. One speaker sometimes lag slightly and create a reverberated effect. The lag is so short that it is impossible to hear which speaker falls behind. Pausing and playing again makes no difference. Pausing, rewinding and playing makes a difference – sometimes (about half the time) it gets into sync. Once in sync it stays in sync until the stream is interrupted by changing tracks or stopping the music. I find "Streets of Philadelphia by Bruce Springsteen to be a good test track as it start with a clean drum beat.
  2. The balance is off. Both homepods make sound but one of them (most often the right one) appears to be slightly lower in amplitude (although not always on all frequencies?) than the other. The result is that the sound is unbalanced with a significantly worse sound stage. This seem to be easier to remedy and is often fixed, for a while before returning, after a restart of the Homepods. 

I've restarted and reset everything but to no avail.

To narrow down the error, I've tried several other methods to play music in order to compare streams from other sources:

1. Apple Music direct from the Homepod (trough Siri).
  2. Apple Music though Airplay 2 from iPhone and iPad.
  3. Apple Music from iTunes/Mac.
  4. MP3, AAC and FLAC playback though Airplay 2 from iPhone, iPad and Mac

(Note that I've not tried to Airplay from Spotify on a Mac. Mojave does not support dual speakers though Airplay yet.)

None of the above exhibits the same problems as Spotify does. The sound never lag and is always balanced. This makes me fairly convinced that this is indeed an issue on Spotify's side of things. 

I've been airplaying music to my old hifi system for almost a decade now and was not so irritated by Apple's decision to make Apple Music the Homepod's only integrated music service. I figured I would just continue to use Airplay as I've always done. However, these problems are of course deal-breakers and I'm left with the options of transitioning to Apple Music (which I'd really rather not, for many reasons) or abandoning the plan of having stereo Homepods as my primary system.

Is there anyone else who have experienced the same thing? Is this an Homepod issue or is it the same in, for example, Sonos?

EDIT: I previously stated that my iPad Mini was of the third generation. In actual fact it's a second generation device. Sorry about that. 

I've had the same experience and did a very similar test. I only added streaming to AirPlay directly from my home server, which outputs a on the fly transcoded uncompressed WAV stream, instead of the FLAC or ALAC file. Same situation it works, but Spotify doesn't.

If you really want to mess with the HomePods via Spotfiy try this song: https://open.spotify.com/track/2mwptYSUenZkc1EL20HC30?si=v-GEVv-FQ3iYmdGH7z7WPw 
It's German electronic music, which plays heavily with the left and right stereo-channel being out of sync on purpose. The high-heads reverb (on purpose) back and forth between the left and right channel and a buzzing noise is slowly ramping up the channel shift as well. 

With that song I noticed the following:

• Apple Music: In sync – No issues
  • Stream from my server: In sync – sound chippy and amplitude changes mid song
  • Spotify: Mostly out of sync, either significantly from the start or slowly over time, also amplitude changes

The amplitude changes could be due to the HomePod stereo pair using their built-in microphones to "listen" to each other. I suppose that especially the aforementioned song causes heavy regulating loops, as the HomePods expect each other to be more in sync, but this on purpose out of sync song gets it stuck in a regulating loop.

However the amplitude adjustments are due to the nature of the HomePods self-regulating and spatial aware EQ. Still the Spotify being out of sync isues persists.

I linsten your song, on Spotify and YouTube, it’s very different. 

On Spotify, for me, it’s not stereo but the two HomePod are playing toghether in mono. 

On Youtube, the HomePod are playing in Stereo. 

When I m come back on Spotify, the two HomePod are desynchronized 😤

And sometimes when I play music in Spotify to my HomePod, there are no sound. 

If I try with AppleMusic or YouTube, no problem. 

Spotify it’s time to do something...

After spending some more time trying to figure out whether to ditch Spotify or get rid of the Homepod/s I’ve realized something: As long as I listen through my iPhone 7 Plus, everything seems to be working! The speakers are in sync and are balanced.

The problem still remain when I use my iPad Mini 2, however.

So, the question is now: can this be replicated by anyone else? Perhaps the Airplay component in newer iOS devices is the only one capable of doing reliable stereo at this point? If so, this is more likley an Apple problem, right? GaelD and tinytonic, do you have a recent device to test?

I have to go back on my previous post. While it seems to work more often using my iPhone 7, it's still not satisfactory. The two Homepods are still out-of-sync ever so often, even if it doens't seem to be as prevalent as when using older devices (i e iPad 2).

I'm at a loss at this point. Two Homepods were going to be my main system but not being able to use Spotify is a huge drawback. For lots of reasons, such as last.fm integration, I would very much like to stay on the platform.

The way I look at it now is that I have three months of free access to Apple Music. I think I'll see where I stand after that time. Maybe it's grown on me and i transition; maybe Spotify has remidied the issue so I can stay. 

Does anyone knows how to report this issue to Spotify developers?

No, not unless they see this thread. Any ideas?

Hi all,

same here. When using the Spotify App (8.4.79.933) to play on both home pods (iOS12.1), everything is fine. But after configuring both pods as stereo pair and then using spotify, they often get out of sync when using Spotify on my iPhone Xs Max (iOS12.1) AS WELL AS using Spotify from my Windows PC. Sometime after hours, sometimes already after some minutes. Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce this, it happens when it wants to...

Everything else works fine, Youtube, Amazon Video, Apple Music, Netflix, never had that problem there. 

And yes, I tried everything from reinstalling the App up to factory resets of the home pods and so on...

Suggested posts