Country

Slovakia/Czech republic

Device

(iPhone 12 mini)

Operating System

(iOS 15.0)

My Question or Issue

Hi there! 

I noticed earlier today that I started running out of my data way too fast even though 98% of my day I am connected via Wi-Fi so I reset counter on my iPhone to see what is the issue. I had an 1,5h long commute today when I tried to listen to Spotify and in that short period of time I ran out of my data plan and in stats I could see that in less than an hour (before I ran out of my data) Spotify consumed 2,2GB of data! I am on free Spotify plan so I can't even stream 320kbps but even if I did stream highest possible quality, there is no way it should consume 2,2GB of data in an hour. I also had the cellular streaming setting set on low. This is rather odd, I never ran out of my data by just streaming music even when I was premium member and I was streaming highest possible quality. I updated to iOS 15 last week and it seems like it started after the update but maybe it's just a coincidence.... I hope you can find where the issue is because this makes it basically unusable for me... Thanks for any help.

Have a nice day.

IMG_1938.jpg
IMG_1939.jpg
3 Replies

Hey @Martina_H,

Thanks for posting in here and welcome to the Community!

We understand that you have issues with the mobile data consumption on your devices, that you think it could be caused by the Spotify app. Here, on this article page,  you can check more on the data usage by our apps and the data saving settings we offer.

To investigate this issue further together, could we ask you for the exact version of the Spotify app you have on right now?  Also have you already tried performing a clean reinstall of the app, when you noticed this unusual behavior? If not we encourage you to do this as it keeps your app on the latest version and it also helps you get the latest fixes for known issues.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello @Elena .

Thank you for your reply.

I have the latest available version of Spotify app - 8.6.62.1035. I also tried clean reinstall but now I am out of data thanks to this incident, so I won't be able to test it for almost a month... I just hope I won't "spend" all my data on Spotify again next month... I have all settings for streaming through cellular network on low (as I mentioned...) but also as I mentioned I don't think it's normal behaviour for this app to use up 2,2GB of data by just listening to a playlist for an hour. Even if I had the best quality setting on you gotta agree that it's insane amount of data. I have text messages from my operator telling me that I have left 20% of my data plan (8GB→ 20% is 1,6GB) at 7:30PM and at 8:08PM I had no data left. so that means Spotify consumed 1,6GB in about 38minutes which is completely insane. and as you can see from my screenshots in my former post, I don't have any other app consuming so much data on that day. Any help will be greatly appreciated and I will try it again and let you know how it went when my next billing period comes up (unfortunately, I can't afford extra data for this month to test it sooner)...

Hi again @Martina_H,

Thanks for your prompt response!

We are sorry that you have experienced such an abnormal behavior and high volume of data consumption by the app. Such situations are rare, but might occur, when the cached files of your app get corrupted for some reason. However the clean reinstall should resolve all of those and bring things back to normal again.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply, thanks!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts