Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Artists and Albums not loading Offline

Artists and Albums not loading Offline

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 10

My Question or Issue

For over a week now, none of my downloaded artists or albums are showing up while offline. All songs saved to a playlist are able to play, but I can't listen to, or search for, any other song/artist/album not in a playlist. It just displays a black screen. This issue is making my premium subscription useless. I do expect some kind of resolution for this problem. If not, I will be forced to cancel my subscription, which is also connected to Hulu. It may not look good for Spotify if I tell Hulu I'm canceling my service because their business partner can't take care of their subscribers.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled my app, deleted my cache,  and double checked that my subscription hasn't been canceled. None of these have worked!! Please Help!

24 Replies

Hey @LSKline25, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could you try checking for available updates of Spotify and iOS? Which are the exact versions for both that you have?

Try using the Sign Out Everywhere option from your Spotify account page to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks and take care 🙂

This happened shortly after the most recent update last week. I am using version 8.5.49.1123. I have tried logging out everywhere but that hasn't worked either. 

Hey @LSKline25,

Just to clarify that you won't be able to do things that require an internet connection like looking at artists profiles. You can use the search to find the songs you have downloaded and not find new songs and listen to them offline (you would need to download them first like you did with the playlist you mentioned).

Hope it helps and take care 🙂

I am also having this same issues. When I am offline and go to the artist tab I am greeted with a black screen 

D4B51D8A-8D48-454B-889A-DB1864B48367.jpeg

I am having the same issue, when offline i cant search under artists, but the songs are in the downloaded song section, the problem started about a week ago after the latest updates 

Somehow this issue resolved itself? At least for now. Either way, other people are still having this issue, given the most recent comments. As to your search bar point, that did not work for me. It would say "No Internet Connection", unless the song was in a downloaded playlist. Even if the song (or album) was downloaded, the song would not show up in the search bar while offline. 

Same issue here... Please Spotify, solve this problem. Lot of people with same issue... we are paying for it, remember?

Hey @swansongforyou@LSKline25@bglynn94@Ericpagee,

Are you still having this issue?

Could you try a clean reinstall?

Keep me posted and take care 🙂

Seems solved since the last update a few days ago. Thanks.
PD: still the issue playing just one song and stop (when play an album) in offline mode. some work to do yet..

Mine now shows artists that ive followed but the list of other artists under the followed section is no longer there,

ive done two clean re installs

Hey folks!

@swansongforyou Thanks for coming back with a confirmation. We are aware of the playback issue in offline mode and we're keeping track of it here. Feel free to leave your info and +Vote in the Ongoing issue.

@bglynn94 Can you let us know what device you're using and its OS? A screenshot of what you see when you open Your Library could also help us a lot.

We'll be here waiting for your updates. Just give us a shout if there's anything else we could do for you.

Take care!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is the absolute worst! I have been really done with spotify and hunting for other apps.

It hurts because I've been a premium user for so long and have so much saved music. the offline mode is terrible, and has been for a long time, and when you have bad service, it's pointless to even download music because you can't search for anything.

If you are offline, and search, it only searches by songs downloaded, but I like to play albums and have several albums downloaded yet, when I click the 3 dots on a song, "view album" is greyed out... On a download album. WHY

SmartSelect_20200715-005508_Spotify.jpg
SmartSelect_20200715-005535_Spotify.jpg

This is happening with me too, I go on offline mode and none of the album's download, I have uninstalled multiple times, checked the phone doesn't optimise (I am unable to stop it from), and I've made sure the cashe is sorted etc? I've also kept the app updated, even doing the update yesterday, but still now working?

Have 100+ Artists in Followed list and all have been downloaded. When set to Online, they all show;  when set to Offline, all Artists disappear.  They reappear immediately after turning to Online, indicating that they do NOT need to be downloaded (since downloading that much would take a long time to complete).  Albums and Playlists are still available in Offline mode.

Until recently (last couple of weeks) this problem was frequent but intermittent; recently the problem has become consistent, meaning Spotify Premium does NOT work offline (playing Artists) as promised.  Please find screenshots of Offline and Online, below.

I do not have these issues with my other iPod, which I’ve mirrored the device in question as closely as possible.

Device:  iPod 6th Gen

Spotify Version:  8.5.83.1426

Please help rectify this problem.  Thanks.

exactly the same as whats happening for me

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your replies. 

@spiker16 would you mind letting us know if you've already tried a clean reinstall of the app? This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing trouble. 

@bglynn94 could you send over your device's make, model, exact OS versions and the exact Spotify version you're currently running?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I have not yet tried that process.  It sounds like I will need to re-download all saved/Followed artists and playlists to do this, which will definitely be a time-consuming process but worth it if it works.  

I will try it and let you know how it goes.

And I assume the process for an iPod is identical to that for an iPhone or iPad, correct?

Hi @spiker16

Thanks for your reply. 

The clean reinstall steps for iPod should be similar to the ones for iPhone and iPad, so we'd recommend giving it a try to see if it makes any difference. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you ask a friend or a family member to log into their account using the affected iPod to see if they can replicate this issue?

Let us know how it goes.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Update:  I went through the full app deletion, data removal process as outlined in the instructions provided, then re-downloaded all Artists and Playlists (which equals ~3000 songs) and the same thing is happening:

- When set to Offline, music is displayed and can be played from Playlists and Albums, but the Artists list is empty.

- Once Offline is de-selected (and Wi-Fi is available), all Artists are immediately available again (meaning they’re already downloaded and are not being downloaded over again).

Interestingly, so far it appears that if Artists are loaded (Wi-Fi on), then Offline is selected and Wi-Fi is then turned off, Artists are retained until Spotify is fully closed down.  If Spotify is left open, Artists are available, even if the iPod is shut down and then reopened.  Therefore, as long as Spotify is not fully closed down, Artists remain available.

This is obviously not ideal, especially if you’re on a long drive and accidentally close Spotify down, but may be a workaround until that programming quirk can be corrected.  I’ll keep an eye on it and see if this situation continues.  I would obviously prefer a more permanent and robust fix, though.

Suggested posts