Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bad Bluetooth sound quality iOS 12

Bad Bluetooth sound quality iOS 12

Plan

Premium

Device

iPhone Xs Max

Operating System

iOS 12

My Question or Issue

Received my Xs Max today and when I use Spotify to playback in my BMW i3 via bluetooth the quality is really bad, I guess it is a IOS12 issue.

It sounds like the music is very clear and then muffled and then clear again, and the quality sounds like a 128kbps track very noisy and not clear and bright like normal!

I have tried offline tracks and streaming but it doesn't change anything, also changing the settings to low and back to high does not fix the problem.

Hope you can resolve this issue in a soon to release update!

EDIT: With the Music app I have the same problem, also tested it with a iPhone SE and 6S with iOS 12 and that works fine. So the issue is with the Xs Max itself!

91 Replies

Because it doesn't solve the issue. It probably just makes it harder for you to notice. I have tried it in both Spotfy and Apple Music and the equalizer has nothing to do with it.

In my case, the problem isn't related to Spotify at all.  It's related to playing music on my iPhone Music App (where, I might add, I'm playing downloaded files, not streaming).  I'm still holding fast to iOS 11.4, waiting for a fix in iOS 12 if it ever comes. 

It's not a Spotify issue, it's a bluetooth issue with how iOS12 handles the audio. Every app has this issue for me when connected to my phone, not just Spotify or Apple Music. Just turn off the wifi when in your car. It's worth it to get on iOS12, which has huge improvements when compared to iOS11.

Thanks for this, Ashhong1.  Life certainly would be easier if I could update my iOS as you suggest.  Up until a few months ago, however, some were reporting that turning off the phone's Wifi was not solving their problem, so I've been waiting for more of a consensus as to what the solution is.  Is everyone else finding that turning off the Wifi has been the answer?

I wasn't aware of that. All I know is that I have been having this issue since last Summer, and turning off the wifi has fixed it every single time the past 2-3 months. Keep in mind you have to turn it off from the settings, not the temporary disable that it does when you turn it off in the control center. Setting up a Siri Shortcut (iOS12 exclusive) helps.

Unfortunately that same excact thing has been done to multiple users since we discovered the issue days after the iOS 12 release.. But so far no results, and correctly as mentioned apple has stated there is still no solution to the issue.

Just to clarify a summary of the issue as far as we know it:

- The problem does not seem to be an application issue

- The recurring explanation is what sounds like a lowering of bitrate in the music(bad quality, loss of top and bottom frequencies(Hence, the suggestion to turn of EQ will not resolve only weaken))

- The problem occurs when the wifi-unit is searching for networks, not when connected to a network -> explains why most of the complaints is by travelling( cars, headsets etc) 

- it does only affect a specific set of makes and models

- Multiple users have gotten diagnostics by apple, and the more the merrier

- Yes the issue is already open at apple (ref discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8560350?answerId=34165347022#34165347022)
- Quantity of complaints is still vital for apple to put more resources into solving this

Hey everyone,

We recommend that you get in touch with Apple regarding this. For any other questions or issues, feel free to create a new topic and we'll make sure to help you out. 

All the best!

I have just installed 12.2 and so far the issue has been fixed for me!

I will continue testing but it looks like Apple finally fixed it!

Don’t get your hopes up too soon. Apple just had me mail my phone to them in California so they could have a “confirmed” device to do testing on. (They sent me a shiny new phone for the trouble) They’re still actively researching...

After installing IOS 12.2 the problem seems to be gone 

**bleep** i can't believe it myself but i listened to a whole song since updated to 12.2 and it seems to be fixed for me too. Will keep testing to be sure!

hmm I found that in the past it took a couple of drives after an update for the issue to come back. But so far so good! It looks like 12.2 was a pretty big update so hopefully it's fixed for good!

Suggested posts