Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Clarification on Offline Mode and stored content

Clarification on Offline Mode and stored content

I have been saving playlists to my iPhone to listen to in the car and avoid using data. Obviously I don't want to take my phone "offline" while in my car and I eave my data on at all times.

My question is if the song/file has been downloaded to my device and is taking up memory, and I play it but still have an LTE/3G connection, is the Spotify playing the downloaded/local file or streaming it even though it is physically stored on my device?

Do you have to go deep into the settings to put the app into "Offline Mode" every time you get in your car and subsequently turn it off when you actually want to stream other content not stored on your phone?

I have been runing under the assumption that the app is using the downloaded/local file but my data usage may suggest otherwise...

Thanks for any help.

6 Replies

I have the same issue (data usage for tracks in offline mode) 

@spitfire411 @Daskarzine

Spotify will play the downloaded files, however some data will still be used to communicate with Spotify's server.

To make sure no data at all is used, you will need to turn on offline mode in the settings.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have turned on offline in the settings and it still uses data. I'm not the only one as I've been seeing other posts.....

@Daskarzine

Can you provide the following?

1. The exact device and OS

2. The Spotify app version installed

3. Screenshot of the data usage

Then I can pass it on to staff so they can take a closer look.

MattSudaSpotify Star

ipHone 6 8.3

Spotify 3.4.0.684

Data usage - it doesn't show it's from Spotify though, it just shows data usage?!

Thanks

@Daskarzine

If you go to iPhone settings --> Cellular 

and then scroll down to Spotify it should say how much data was used.

But it will include all the data since you last reset the statistics so it might not be accurate. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

Suggested posts