Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Clear Queue??

Solved!

Clear Queue??

Somehow my entire song library was added to my queue and I really need a way to clear it. I know how this may be done on PC/Mac but how do I do it on my iOS? Playing a different context/playlist does not work.
113 Replies

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 7.28.13 am.pngScreen Shot 2018-09-30 at 7.30.12 am.png

Hey there @alstarkbyron,

Thanks for getting back in touch with this.

Just to confirm, have you tried already performing a clean reinstall on your device? You can follow the steps here according to your device.

It'd be also helpful if you could give it a try logging into the same device using a different account to see if the same thing occurs.

Let us know how it goes!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I'm using the Android app.  It's understandable that there's an option to edit individual items in the queue.  Seriously though, why isn't there a "clear queue" button in the app?  That's the problem we're all still facing.  If you have a queue that's particularly long, it's totally unreasonable to expect the user to individually remove every song from the queue by selecting them one at a time.  Even the current "fix" of scrolling to the last song and playing it is totally unreasonable. 

Also it would stand to reason that the mobile app would operate in the same manner as the desktop app and automatically replace the play queue (by default) when selecting to play new songs/albums/playlists.  In those cases there should be an option to "add to queue" if the user doesn't want to replace the queue.  This is how the desktop app opperates, it should be how the moble app operates. 

I can't belive this has remained an issue since 2016.  That reflects VERY poorly on the app development for Spotify.  When every premium user is paying at least $10 a month, you should be able to afford the minimal developemnt effort required to add something so simple to the app. 

Completely agree with everything you've said.

mrjim, I completely agree with everything you've said. It's comletely nonsensical that the providers simply ignore this request - no matter how many times we ask for it.

When I choose to listen to an album or a track, I want to listen to that track, I don't want to f@rt*rse around with whatever the system has cued up for me, deleting songs and even having to play them, via some jury-rigged workaround.

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 6.51.21 am.png

If I had total control over the queue it'd be one thing, buy often the songs in the queue are a mystery to me, which makes things even more ridiculous.

I think it's safebto assume this is all because of aome algorithm designed to amplify some music while minimize the royalties they pay in some way. 

Otherwise it makes no sense. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for giving us your feedback on the Queue.

Since this thread is focused specifically on the Clear Queue function for mobile, could we ask those who have other related issues or suggestions to open a new thread about them? 

With regard to the lack of a Clear Queue button on mobile, an idea was created about this a while ago here, however it did not accumulate enough votes and has thus since become inactive.

Not to worry though: you can create an idea in the Ideas Exchange here and get others to vote for it. If it garners enough votes, then Spotify might consider implementing it!

Hope that helps 🙂 Let us know if you have any other questions regarding this - we'll be right here.

I was frustrated with this FAQ, as it appeared the problem (clearing the queue) did not have a solution.

HOWEVER I found that simply turning OFF Autoplay in the app on my iPhone made the queue go away on my desktop app, enabliing me to finally play the playlist i wanted.

Except auto play just means it will play "similar" music when your playlist is done. Turning it off won't clear your queue of anything you've added. For instance the last 5 playlists you decided to sample but got tired of 3 songs in. Or my favorite 13 hour playlist. Sometimes I want to hear something different and really don't have the stamina to individually select 13 hours worth of songs just to clear them from my queue. But hey, they want us to make a new post? Fine, I'll make a new one tomorrow.  Then another after that.  Maybe I'll just keep bugging them about this until the wheel gets squeeky enough. 

Update: I tried posting to the latest request here but it won't let me post.  Maybe that's why this topic can't get 50+ upvotes a year, the forum has in some manner "blacklisted" the request for a clear queue button.

Either way though, I posted a new request that addresses the root of what I believe the real issue is here.  Please upvote if you're tired of screwing with the mobile play queue!

Update 2: It appears my issues with the "non-replacing" queue have been addressed.  Though I'd still prefer there be a clear queue button, the issue isn't nearly as big since the queue is now replaced in the mobile app when you choose to play a new playlist.  Thanks to whoever updated it.

Apart from the zero mornonic  logic in not having a clear queue button, the apparent bug is this.... Even if I go to the bottom of the queue and hit the round button (which happens to be the play button) - it does clear the list - I have to do this a couple of times. HOWEVER.... I go back to my pay list - select a song half way down the list, hit play.... the queue shows all the next tracks breifly .... but then it resets to the start of the play list. I actually reinstalled spotify to clear the queue , but the problem came back again. This is happening if I pay spotify from my win 10 PC or my Andriod phone. This seems to happen when I connect to sonos. The only way I can play the songs in the order that I want I have to play from the Sonos app. Which btw has a clear queue button. Please take this issue seriously - the problem is not going away and it looks like you are treating the users as **bleep**. Not a good look.

Over the years Spotify has been removing great features and are making their clients more and more simple playlist managers and in that field they are also a bit lacking.

Clearing a queue is such a basic feature. I don't get that questions like this are marked as solved, when the solution is a workaround, hacks.

Seriously - this whole thread is surreal.

Simple fact is that NONE of the hacks suggested as workarounds really work.

One always keeps some residual odd songs in the queue, and wonders where the heck those came from. "Suggestions" get mixed up with choice, and *strict* choice gets diluted.

It's unacceptable. I love the huge Spotify library, I am starting to loathe the fact the playlists I listen to are less my choice (which is why I first joined Spotify) and become more of Spotify's suggest-semi-dictated playlists a la Pandora (I abandoned Pandora because of that). Spotify is diluting its advantage and core differentiator by being obstinate about this issue. It makes no sense.

The fact the moderator is breaking this up into mobile app vs something else is beyond ridiculous - really? Different workflows in different devices? Is that a best UI design pattern? Sure - if you are Lucifer...  🙂

I want: (1) a clean queue delete button on every device (I use Windows, Android and an Ipad, so there) (2) control about whteher I want "suggestions" automatically appended to my queue (I actually don't as a general rule, but it's nice to enable based on experimental mood).

... DO IT! 

I second that. It's unbelievable that Spotify cannot provide such essential features in their mobile platform... I've just joined premium and already started thinking whether it was a good idea... Please listen to your users or one day you'll find there's none remained.

@dsa_7 wrote:
Hi there Tremolay, welcome to the Community! That's a bit peculiar - having all of your jams in your queue, but I'll be sure to help you clear your queue so you can enjoy your playlists and albums as normal again.

Unfortunately, I can't find a magic "Clear Queue" button, but there is a clever trick you can do to clear the queue effortlessly. Open up the Queue list and scroll all the way down to the final song with a blue dot. Tap it, and all the queued songs above it will vanish. You can then enjoy that last song, or skip it, and your entire queue will be cleared.

I hope I helped. If this doesn't work, please feel free to reply to this post and someone else might be able to help you! The Community is great for helping others, discovering new music and making new friends. Feel free to explore, and I look forward to seeing you on the forums some time! Good luck with clearing your queue and rock on!

This (the accepted "solution") does not work and this is not a solution. We need a proper clear queue button. If that's part of the next release even that will be late...

Aaah this is crazy! Spotify please add a clear queue button!

Doesn't work. I had to log out and log in to clear the queue. I'm a premium member so not sure if that affects the Queue clearing ability or not. There was no blue dot on the last song and any new playlist I started only played the first song then back to the original queue.

Even Log Out / In didn't work on the Windows app.  Even deleting the queue one at a time, it keeps replenishing.

You're right. Drives me crazy.

Complete uninstall/reinstall and turning off Autoplay did finally work for me.

Don't forget to turn back on the high quality stream feature.

Suggested posts