Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Constant skipping and pausing

Solved!

Constant skipping and pausing

I have an iphone 5. The app pauses and skips songs whenever I carry my phone around or put it in my pocket. Basically, songs pause and/or skips while the phone is in motion. Sometimes my voice control randamly appears, as well, but I'm not sure if this is corelated to the issues I'm having with Spotify. Although, it only happens when the app is running. AND, just recently, I would close the app but music would start playing whenever I open another app while Spotify is closed. It sounds like either my phone is going haywire or there are some serious bugs in the recent updates. 

Also, I've noticed that these issues all started for me when the new "running" feature was launched.

Please help.

117 Replies

Be careful if you have an Apple Watch.   The music control app just appears as your watch face and you can accidentally hit it putting your hand in a pocket or bag.  I almost blew out a bunch of speakers because the Digital Crown acts a a volume control and I hit it and spiked the volume to 11. 

It’s spotify.  It happened to me a lot.  Different iPhones 6+ through 8+ and not only on the iPhone but once or twice on a desktop (Mac). Song stopped and would only play for a few seconds and stop again. Lots of weird **bleep** (apparently cr@p is not cool language) on iOS. 

Close Spotify on all your platforms and devices when your not using it.  I believe that I am correct and that they are all connected through Spotify’s servers and Spotify knows which device SHOULD be the one your pressing play on.  They are concerned that you are logged in as 2 different people Not in a family, Not living at the same physical address, Not paying them for two of you.

This is why you can magically change what song is playing in Spotify on a different device and it then asks you which device you will be listening on... your previous device is still trundling along running an instance of Spotify though... Seamless handoff or works good enough as is. Cr@p software.  

I have this issue too and I have an Android...

I have the same infuriating issue, constantly skipping back and forwards and for some reason keeps opening Siri. Reinstallation didn’t fix.

i have a feeling might be something to do with headphone remote playback controls too.

iphone 6, iOS 11.2.1, I have 5 playlists.

I agree with your condemnation of apple, but I have to point out that I am having the same problem on my galaxy S8 Active. Works fine in all other regards. And it's not the headphones. It skips songs, goes back dozens of episodes in podcasts, locks me into one song so I can't pick another, while it restarts over and over and over again, and it has all happened with headphones, without headphones, and plugged into my cars AUX Jack. So it's definitely a Spotify problem here.

I have an Iphone 7, ios v 11.1. Spotify app v 8.4.28.1104.

App randomly skips to next track. Also, randomly starts playing someone elses crappy playlist that I've never (voluntarily) listened to myself. It's always the same playlist, and this has happened multiple times.

Happens when I'm listening using bluetooth headphones, bluetooth speakers, and sometimes when I'm not using Spotify at all!

So I posted this a little while ago:

I've been researching this and trying different variables for months. Long story short: I'm nearly certain the problem is not with Spotify, and I'm almost certain the problem is with the aux port on your Iphone. I think almost everyone in this thread is using an iphone. I myself am using an Iphone 6.

I've replaced my Iphone 6 in the last month with a new I6, and the problem remained. So it isn't the aux port hardware itself. I have tried different pairs of headphones and the problem remained. So it isn't the headphones themselves.

The only time the problem went away was when I either used Iphone Lightining jack earbuds, or an aux-to-lightning adapter with my aux running headphones. When I do either of these things, I can run or weight lift to my heart's content without the  ""skip pause pause skip open siri skip skip"" thing happening.

It's the Iphone. It's not the aux port hardware either - it's the software. Apple wants people to jump onto the bandwagon of lightning or bluetooth, plain and simple. Sorry but I don't think there's a solution here. Planned obsolescence is hard to fight.

And it turns out some people are having problems outside the bounds of my troubleshooting - on Android, over bluetooth, etc. I think it's possible there are multiple issues though. The ""skip pause skip open siri skip skip"" thing is definitely one issue. And it seems to happen exclusively on Iphones with people plugged into aux. I still think that - despite my frustration with Apple for possibly forcing this via software - switching to lightning headphones or a lightning adaptor will solve this. It has for me. I've had a dozen runs and gym workouts with no problems since switching to their frackin' lightning adaptor. For instance, @dhylander's problem of Spotify random playing someone else's playlist sounds potentially unrelated. Like maybe his Spotify is linked to an Alexa, or is on some other computer, and someone's using it. That happened to me.

Anyway, don't throw out the mediocre and obnoxious fix of switching to Apple's lightning adaptor if the "skip pause 'open siri' skip pause' thing is happening to you whenever you walk around with your phone. It seems to be the fabric rubbing to phone static that causes it.

Hi Spotify,

I have an Iphone 6S and I recently installed the new IOS 11.2.2. The Spotify version that I have is 8.4.35 and I am a Premium user which is why this bug has been bothering me a lot recently. I believe the problems began since I updated my IOS, and I even tried re-installing the application, however that did nothing else but un-download all of the songs I had previously saved to listen to offline. What typically happens is I would just listen to music (with my headphones in) and it would just stop and start by itself, skip the song, rewind, or just activate Voice Control ALL by itself without me doing or touching anything. It is supremely annoying and I would be more than glad if you could fix it.

Best,

Simona (a devoted, but currently disappointed Spotify user)

Hi,

i unfortunately have the same issues.

1. Exact Device (e.g. iPhone 5S) : iPhone 7

2. Exact operating system (e.g. iOS 8.3)
iOS.11.2.5

3. Spotify app version installed (2.2.0)
I have version 8.4.37.704 installed (I have done the latest update)

4. What are you doing when the app skips/ stops/ crashes? Is it when it opens? When scrolling through tracks? When searching? 

It’s at different times, sometimes when the app is open And I’m searching for songs/downloading, sometimes when I just have my phone in my pocket.
I already tried deleting the app and re installing it but that didn’t help.

5. About how many playlists do you have?

5/10 And I follow about 50 I guess (most arent offline available

Thank you in advance 

I'm having similar issues.  It doesn't skip when listening to iHeart radio, even when I jiggle my lightning jack.  However, once I listen to Spotify, it's all messed up.  So I'm ruling out headphones and iPhone issue.  Tried playing iTunes, which was better but need to do more research on that.  Hope it get's fixed soon. 

iPhone 7

iPhone Version 11.2.2 (15C202)

Spotify Version 8.4.38.634

Just went to apple store.  Cleaned out some lint from phone, did some audio diagnostics but the mic control still wasn't reponsive while using the spotify app after the fact. Works on itunes and Iheart radio just fine.  So I'm suspecting it must be a spotify issue. 

I also updated iPhone to 11.2.5 (15D60) over the weekend. 

8.4.38.634 is my Spotify version

i have an iPhone 8

i have iOS.11.2.5

The song skips or pauses when I move my earphones or phone when my earphone is connected

i have 10 playlists on my Spotify account

1. Exact Device:  iPhone 7 Plus
2. Exact operating system: iOS 11.2.5
3. Spotify app version installed: 8.4.38.634
4. What are you doing when the app skips/ stops/ crashes? It happens when I have my earphones in and as soon as I move my phone or put it in my pocket the track skips.

5. About how many playlists do you have? 3

I have an LG V20 with Android 7.0 and Spotify 8.4.39.693 armV7. It does the same thing for me, mostly when I'm walking around or have my phone in my pocket. It'll skip 3 or 4 songs at a time sometimes and pause and play randomly with headphones plugged in. I have 30-40 playlists. 

Mines like it too! It was fine last week nkw it’s like this... keep pausing then unpausing.. constantly Siri keeps popping up.. its only in my earphones tho..when it pauses it makes that noise it makes when u pause it from the button on the earphones...also the song keeps skipping 15 seconds and doesn’t stop..  I pay for premium and I’ve been using Spotify for over a year and it hasn’t done this before.. I use it everyday pls help

Mine stopped by switching headphones, which is sad bc I've used the apple
ones forever and they have really good sound quality, but that fixed my
issue for now.

1. Exact Device - IPhone X 
2. Exact operating system - 11.2.5 
3. Spotify app version installed - 8.4.38.634
4. Nothing. Put into my pocket & it will start skipping/pausing. Sometimes while using other apps, it will keep skipping & pausing as well. My volume will automatic go to the full blast when music starts playing. 
5. I have 30 playlists. 

Please help me solve this. Thanks. 

Hey, I’ve had this too for the last two weeks, out of nowhere! Already tried a complete reinstall, which hasn’t worked.

1. Exact Device - iPhone 6s
2. Exact operating system - 11.2.5
3. Spotify app version installed - 8.4.40
4. Nothing. I put into my pocket or move around walking or looking at other apps and it starts skipping/pausing.
5. I have 24 playlists

The skipping is happening for me on ALL of my devices and it is making hate Spotify, which I normally love.  It is skipping songs at about the 40-second mark and if the program is open on my mac while I'm doing other things, it'll start playing random songs. 

1. Exact Device (e.g. iPhone 5S)

iPhone 6S; MacBook Pro 2014 Retina Display running El Capitan; New iPad running IOS 10.3.3

2. Exact operating system (e.g. iOS 8.3)

iPhone version 10.3.3; MacBook Pro El Capitan 10.11.6; iPad 10.3.3

3. Spotify app version installed (2.2.0)

Have removed and replaced with latest version on both iPhone and iPad; running 1.0.74.380.g1fcff12a on MacBook. 

4. What are you doing when the app skips/ stops/ crashes? Is it when it opens? When scrolling through tracks? When searching? 

Playing songs on Spotify and trying to enjoy them. Then yelling obscene words when they skip to the next some. 

5. About how many playlists do you have?

About 10

PS - I don't use Siri, though I do have a Firestick on my TV. 

1. Exact Device (e.g. iPhone 5S) - iPhone 7
2. Exact operating system (e.g. iOS 8.3)- iOS 11.2.6
3. Spotify app version installed (2.2.0)- 8.4.42
4. What are you doing when the app skips/ stops/ crashes? Is it when it opens? When scrolling through tracks? When searching? - when I’m walking and my phone is in my hand or pocket
5. About how many playlists do you have? - 5

Suggested posts