Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Data overages

Data overages

Hi, I have ATT and my plan only includes 200MB data and I have to pay $15 per additional. I just got slapped with a $45 bill for data overages and I believe because of the Spotify app on my iphone which I use regularly. It seems that the app is using 3G all the time unless I have the offline mode always on?! I was under the impression that the app would not use 3g when in WiFi range and that if you are not in wifi range (like in the car) and play songs in your downloaded/synced playlists it would not use the data either? I used 600MB of data last month, I usually never go over 150 as I am in wifi range most of the time.

Is there an app bug of some sort? Do I have to use the app in offline mode all the time?

3 Replies

There is a similar thread open in Android section, of the App using too much data etc.

It could be in all client versions?

I haven't noticed any problems on my iPad (altho I am using a data plan with no restrictions on speed or usage).

I could install an app to keep track of the data used and see if it happens there.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

@rocbrook wrote:

Hi, I have ATT and my plan only includes 200MB data and I have to pay $15 per additional. I just got slapped with a $45 bill for data overages and I believe because of the Spotify app on my iphone which I use regularly. It seems that the app is using 3G all the time unless I have the offline mode always on?! I was under the impression that the app would not use 3g when in WiFi range and that if you are not in wifi range (like in the car) and play songs in your downloaded/synced playlists it would not use the data either? I used 600MB of data last month, I usually never go over 150 as I am in wifi range most of the time.

Is there an app bug of some sort? Do I have to use the app in offline mode all the time?

Wow. USA has crap data limits....

Anyways, this was a reported error on Android as well. I think it may be trying to sync even in offline mode. It could be last.fm scrobbling though.

Go to your settings. Check to make sure your "Sync over 2G/3G" switch is off. That might be one thing that will use a lot of data.

Suggested posts