Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Genius

Disable Genius

I'm a premium user, and for some reason, my music now has Genius lyrics and other info about the songs. It is incredibly distracting. I figured out how to swipe up on it and get rid of it, but it's only temporary. Is there a way to permanently turn it off? I love the service and have had it for quite a while, but not being able to find a way to disable it and have it automatically show up makes me question keeping the premium subscription. Thanks for the help!

11 Replies

Hey @spratlenj1! Welcome to the community!

You can turn it off in: 'Settings (Spotify) > Playback > Behind the Lyrics'. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care!

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the info! However, on both my iPhone and my Mac, I don't see
what you're talking about in the Spotify app.

I'm a premium user.  This is not an option in Advanced Settings > Playback. 

Settings > Advanced Settings > Playback includes two options:  1. Crossfade Songs and 2. Set the same volume level for all songs.

Sad 08-29-17

Hey folks!

Right now, Behind the Lyrics is only available on iOS and Android. You can't enable/disable it on desktop right now. I'll let the right folks know this is something you'd like to see in the future. On iOS you should be able to disable it in: 'Settings > Playback > Behind the Lyrics.' Let me know if there's anything else.

Have a lovely day!

HuboSpotify Star

This setting works on my phone, but as soon as I cast it to my TV screen — the annoying Behind the Lyrics feature reappears. 

I hear you loud and clear! I absolutely LOVE Spotify more than any of the other music platforms (one of those reasons is for its interface on Chromecast); however, the inability to disable this simple feature hinders me from wanting to make the switch. I play my music on the TV when I have friends over and when I do work around the house. The “Behind the Lyrics”  feature looks sloppy. It is an awesome feature for those that want to experience a giving song further, but that is something that should be accessible on the app (computer or phone) not on the casting device. Spotify should maintain an image and allow users to customize that experience as they choose, rather than forcing features. Long story short, GREAT service, not my favorite feature. 

Any option to disable Genius when listening over Chromecast?

"Behind The Lyrics" setting in the app should reflect the Chromecast behavior as well - but it doesn't.

""Behind The Lyrics" setting in the app should reflect the Chromecast behavior as well - but it doesn't."

This!

Dear Spotify, could you please fix this?

Any news on this issue, Melody?

Hey @jimpanse113! Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Spotify always loves hearing feedback and ideas from their users. You can post your idea on the Ideas board, but be sure to do a quick search before posting! 🙂

Keep rocking!

HuboSpotify Star

Suggested posts