Step 1

NEXT STEP

Do not play artist/song

Do not play artist/song

Plan: Premium

Device: iPhone 6s

Operating System: iOS 10

My Question or Issue

I thought I had seen a "do not play" for songs or artists not so long ago and now I can't find it. Is it gone? Can we bring it back? 

18 Replies

Hi @amulaire,

You can do this by going to the artist that you don't want to listen to and tapping ... at the top right. Then select "Don't play this artist."

Also, when listening to playlists such as Discover Weekly or Release Radar, you can tap the circle with the slash at the bottom right to select either "I don't like this song" or "I don't like this artist." This will cause songs like that or artists like that to not be played in that particular playlist, respectively. 

Nope its gone, bring it back Spotify!  It sucks listening/having to skip artists and/or songs you dont like! ๐Ÿ™โ˜น๏ธ

not anymore

At the moment when I am writing this message, this feature is present in the android app but not in the desktop app (Mac OS).

On the other hand, I doubt very much of its effectiveness. Artists which I have flagged with "not play this" keep on popping up in my daily mixes. Just a personal thought.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 3.14.11 PM.jpg

Hi @bergensk,

Thanks for your post.

Currently you can only dislike Artists on the mobile app. Bear in mind that this option is not available for Desktop. Whenever you try playing a song from an artists that you've blocked on Mobile you should receive a message that this track won't be playable until you unmark the artist from the Mobile app.

If you think other users might also like to have the option to hide Artists/Songs across platforms, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented :slightly_smiling_face: 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

hi @alex and thank you for your quick answer,

Anyway, let me disagree with you. Either you are wrong, or the labels in the android app are completely messed up. Just look at the attached screenshots from my phone.

Kind regards,

Roberto

android.png
android2.png

Hi, yes the feature is back, but you are so right! it doesn't really work.

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting back to us ๐Ÿ™‚

If the artist is featured in a collaborative song, you might see the song. In this case in order not to see songs from that specific artist, you can click on "Don't play this" for the other artist as well. We appreciate your feedback and will make sure to pass it on to the right team. As @Alex suggested you can give these steps a go an submit your idea. That way other users can support it.

In case you've already turned on the option to not play a specific Artist and you still see their songs, we'd suggest you restart your phone and log out and log back in again. That way any changes can be synced up.

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have more questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator

Hi @Ver, thanks for popping up.

Sorry to insist, but that's not exactly true. I have marked artists since a while ago already, restarted phone, etc. and those artists keep on appearing on my mixes. Not just in the mobile android app, but also in the desktop app (in my case lately, the one for Mac OSX). I bet that also in the web player, but this I would need to double check.

In the exact case I am thinking of, this artist does not have any "split"/"collaborative" songs with other bands.

I will just file an issue as you guys say, because this is a clear defect in your platform (not client specific).

Kind regards

Hey @bergensk,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop ๐Ÿ™‚

Can you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall? By doing that you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing this issue. 

If the issue persists, you can try with another account. That way we can check if it's an account-related issue.

You can also send us screenshot of what you're seeing. We'll investigate this further.

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

hi @Ver,

I have reinstalled the app on my phone, but still these banned bans keep on popping up in my "next up" queue. Shall I also reinstall on (all) my computers? I resist to believe that spotify bases its algorithm on the client cache.

Kind regards,

Roberto

Hey @bergensk,

Thank you for your post.

Can you confirm if this occurs when you're using this feature from different devices or just one specific device?

As @Ver mentioned - it would be great if you can try this feature from another account on your device/devices - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists.

Keep us posted. We'll have an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music ๐Ÿ™‚

hi @Jeremy,

This happens on different devices: I jump between android / mac / linux players several times every day. In case that the automatically generated "next up" queue is based on the local cache of those clients, it may happen that there are artists which I do not want to listen to.
Another possible reason which is now in my head: if this feature is just specific to some players (Android) and not others (Mac, Linux), then those desktop players may be polluting my play queue with those artists which I have marked as "do not play" on my android device. Does that sound correct? Would a reinstall of those desktop clients solve the problem?

Unfortunately my wife would not accept me to tickle on her cellphone. Not even for spotify debugging ๐Ÿ˜„

Regards

Hey there again @bergensk,

Thank you for your reply and for your confirmation ๐Ÿ™‚

You can perform a clean reinstall on the devices to make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Since it's occurs on different devices it would be great if you can create another account to be able to see if the issue occurs so we can make sure there's no account-related issue.

It would also be great if you can try out with another internet connection to see if the issue persist.

Let us know how everything goes so we can continue to assist you if you need us. We're happy to help ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

"Currently you can only dislike Artists on the mobile app. Bear in mind that this option is not available for Desktop.... If you think other users might also like to have the option to hide Artists/Songs across platforms, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board."

Are you kidding me? OF COURSE everyone who listens to your service, no matter what platform, would want the same functionality/options across all platforms. When I'm switching between my iPhone and Desktop, it's really irritating to not have the same functionality cross-device. Who at Spotify thought "Oh, certainly only people on mobile devices would ever want to the functionality to block an artist. Desktop users would never EVER care about that."  SMH.

Hi there @,velorra

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to do better.

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator

I got a good chuckle out of this. You're spot on though. Why this basic feature is only in the mobile app is astounding. IMO, the main draw of streaming services is to curate playlists based on user feedback. Without that, it's kind of pointless, to me at least. I'm moments away from going back to Pandora or trying Apple Music out for a change. I really hope Spotify listens to and implements these requests!

Hi. i would like to propose a feature that will really improve my UX.

There are certain bands that I don't like to listen to, but they appear on my personal spotify playlist. it would be great if I have an option to block these bands from appearing on my personal playlists and any other suggestions.

Thank you for reading this. Have a nice day)

Suggested posts