Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Does iPad version require Premium?

Does iPad version require Premium?

Hi there,

I would like to know if it is enough with Spotify Unlimited to listen online to the spotify library, or I do need Spotify premium, as with other mobile devices?

Thanks!

43 Replies

@cmccann92 wrote:

Why can't we run the spotify app on unlimited?

Hey!

Welcome to the community 🙂

Spotify on mobile devices, such as tablets and phones is currently a Premium only feature. Unlimited only allows streaming to desktop clients. You can view a comparison of Spotify plans on this page.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

well I just subscribed to unlimited and found that I can't play on my ipad which for me is not a mobile device!! So I'm cancelling my subscription - goodbye Spotify

Spoiler
Spoiler

Surely, if you can take a device with you with ease, it's a mobile device. As small laptops are called Mobile Laptops. Since the iPad runs the "same" iOS as iPhones and not Mac OS X, it is categorized as a mobile device. Same goes with Android tablets. Even tho if they are Wifi only, they don't have ethernet plugs or such in them, so they are mobile devices and use the same os basically as the android phones.

The way you use the device doesn't change the fact on what the device is I'm afraid.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

This is unreal and this is the email i just sent to Spotify Support...

Dear Spotify This is an Official Complaint. I have chosen to replace my laptop for an iPad and even though i never take my wifi iPad out of the house, never use offline playlists and dont in any way consider it a mobile device as it only has wifi... I still have to pay the premium price rather than the unlimited price which is all i require! The way i see it, you are exploiting the popularity of the iPad to charge more for your service! I understand on a 3g/4g iPad the service is deemed as mobile, but not on a wifi only iPad that is being used as a laptop replacement. Small laptops such as a Macbook Air 11" are just as "Mobile" as a wifi only iPad, being the same size and can just as easily be used on public wifis Yet those users only have to pay half the price! Like i said, its exploitation! I will also be complaining to apple for allowing this. I have cancelled my subscription and just to put it in perspective i would like to point out that i am only paying £6 and £5 a month respectively for a Netflix And LoveFilm subscription to stream thousands of Movies and Tv Shows to my iPad! Two subscriptions for pretty much the same price! Do they charge double to use their services on a market leading device? You need to sort it out!! Regards Matt

This is ridiculous, the iPad is no more a mobile device than a laptop. I have just started using it to see where my moneyis best spent, spotify v iTunes, and now I cannot try spotify because I have chosen tablet over pc. You have made a mistake here as many people migrate to a tablet and will surely not want to pay/register account details without a decent tribal. I off off back to iTunes and YouTube for my music. 

I downloaded the ipad app as well as the computer app. if i login on my ipad would it be the same as my computer?

Thecottager - The iPad uses a mobile OS, the same as an iPhone, and is therefore a mobile device.

Diamondsky33 - No. You'll need to download the Spotify iPad app from the AppStore. You'll also need a Premium subscription to use Spotify on your iPad. It looks like you're eligible for the free 30 day Premium trial if you'd like to give it a go, just head here... www.spotify.com/freetrial/
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

The guys at spotify are so sly and misleading. No you cannot. And yes you can. If (like me) you though that you could log in with your regular spotify account and listen to some music online then you're gonna have to start paying. monthly. whilst they heavily imply that this is possible for free you have to pay for the privilege to use spotify for what you usually use spotify for...

This is because thay class an iPad as a 'mobile device' however if (like me) you opted for wifi only instead of cellular model then your device cannot possibly be used as a 'mobile device' and must instead only use the Internet when connected to a router at home or work, much like, say, a laptop?... 

Come on guys...

And I get that it's a device that runs iOS and 'therefore it's a mobile device' and that it doesn't have an Ethernet port and 'therefore it's a mobile device' but I don't know about anyone else but I bought an iPad INSTEAD of a laptop, I can't afford both. It's just disappointing to try and use a programme that I've been using for a long time on my old laptop and being told that I can't use it anymore because of some technicality, some clause somewhere that says they can squeeze some money out of me.

It's a shame but I guess I'll just get my 30 day sympathy bundle and then stop using spotify. 

Hellfish - We really don't want to be sly or misleading. The website here does state each service we offer, and what you'll receive with each service.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

If the ipad is only connected to the internet via WiFi, how is this a mobile device different than a laptop?

I had gotten the Unlimited subscription for someone who would only be using this ipad mini in the home. no way of going "mobile". Seems like a problem in terminology. Forcing us to pay double for no reason we can see.

We will be cancelling our subscription and using another service.

I have been waiting for months and months now for Spotify to stop taking the mickey and allow Unlimited users to use the iPad without the offline playlists feature! I don't really see the problem, people that wafun that feature will still go for premium!? 😕

Anyways in that time I have found that lots of my favourite music is on Soundcloud, Youtube and TuneIn Radio! For FREE!

my point is, the longer Spotify leave it the less likely people will want to Paul anything at all to listen to music!

Fun Fact... This situation is more than likely contributing largely to continued Music Piracy!

That's where being greedy and ignorant gets you, well done Spotify! I hope labels drop you...

Iam a newbie and as green as the icon itself. I too had this problem when I first paid up the premium rate. I found that logging out and logging back in picked up my subscription details and eradicated the problem. Was a fluke but it worked for me. Good luck.

mine too i try to put the songs and it says to go to the radio

I just signed up for a premium account on my ipad mini but when I try to access music, I get a message indicating that streaming is only for premium users.  Even weirder, when I access accounts, it indicates that I have an active Premium account with my credit card information.

Pleae help.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

There was some server issues earlier which are still ongoing which are effecting both premium and unlimited account upgrades (apparently the issue has been corrected, so I am guessing it is just server catch up delay), the main topic about it is here (where the staff are posting updates).

I would suggest you have a read at and try the steps outlined in this post once it is fixed!

Peter

Peter

‎i Uninstalled the app and then lauched again. Still the same problem. I login with my facebook account. Is it related?

Should be resolved this morning. Are you still having issues 🙂 ?

Peter

Peter

I tried again and again but spotify won't accept my simple free spotify use on the ipad, even after reinstalling spotify app.
Keeps asking for premium version. What can/must i do to enjoy spotify again?
Also disappointed that the clock keeps ticking for the free use of premium, although i logged out.

Please help! Thank you.
Marielle

I am unable to upgrade to spotify premium from my ipad. Is there an option?

Suggested posts