Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I play video from a podcast on my Apple TV?

Solved!

How do I play video from a podcast on my Apple TV?

How do I play video from a podcast on my Apple TV 4K? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Xenia,

Thanks for at least responding. 

Now on to bad news for you and your company Spotify. You just broke one of the greatest features of watching a podcast (JRE is a example) on my Apple TV via the YouTube app on TVOS via the Apple TV 4K. 

Your company just broke this complete functionality. This is an embarrassment for a major tech company. If your app was not ready to launch JRE exclusively on Dec 1 2020, then don’t do it. 

What do you say to the millions of people that watch this podcast via YouTube app and now can only listen to it via your app on an Apple TV?

Also if you try to cast the video via airplay it fails as well.

I DO NOT care about chrome cast or an android tv. That doesn’t address my question and stop deflecting from an obvious mistake. 

I am going to use this thread has an example to my development teams on what not to do. That is the only positive thing coming from this issue.

I hope your company is clearly aware people will cancel memberships over this. 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Happy to share this option should now be available!

Take a look here for more info 🙂

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

25 Replies

?

?

I am going to post a ? here everyday until someone at Spotify responds. My monthly fee is paying your salary remember that! 

Hi there @forum83,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. We're happy to shed some light on the situation.

This isn’t possible right now, but we’re always working to improve the Podcast experience on Spotify. We recommend adding your +VOTE and feedback to this idea, to show your support.

Just as a heads-up, we're also currently in the process of launching podcast video playback on the big screen via Chromecast as well as some Android TVs, so stay tuned for more updates in our Spotify Newsroom.

We hope you'll find this info useful. We'll be here in case you have any questions.

Have a lovely day 🙂

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

Xenia,

Thanks for at least responding. 

Now on to bad news for you and your company Spotify. You just broke one of the greatest features of watching a podcast (JRE is a example) on my Apple TV via the YouTube app on TVOS via the Apple TV 4K. 

Your company just broke this complete functionality. This is an embarrassment for a major tech company. If your app was not ready to launch JRE exclusively on Dec 1 2020, then don’t do it. 

What do you say to the millions of people that watch this podcast via YouTube app and now can only listen to it via your app on an Apple TV?

Also if you try to cast the video via airplay it fails as well.

I DO NOT care about chrome cast or an android tv. That doesn’t address my question and stop deflecting from an obvious mistake. 

I am going to use this thread has an example to my development teams on what not to do. That is the only positive thing coming from this issue.

I hope your company is clearly aware people will cancel memberships over this. 

Hey there @forum83,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify you wish to do at the moment.

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Jeremy,

So when given the opportunity to address the millions of people that can not watch video from a podcast that you have exclusive rights to you decided on this canned response. Interesting and very telling.

This issue/thread will remain unsolved until the functionality has been restored. 

If you are developer out there or work in PR take note of this thread on what not to do. This is a prime real world example of a company failing its customers. 

Please someone from Spotify respond with another canned response that doesn’t address the actual issue. 

Everyone that is experiencing the same problem please let the JRE staff know directly by filling out this form on the JRE website.

https://www.joerogan.com/contact 

Spotify is not taking this seriously.

Ya, That’s really not much of a response. The fact is Spotify made a big deal about launching podcast and secured a top celebrity and now we can’t even enjoy him where we normally enjoy him, we’re forced to just stare at our phone, it’s not gonna happen. 

Spotify this is so ridiculous that you have to "discuss" this issue. Such a no-brainer honestly. Why would you develop the ability to stream video and not make it available for apple TV, Google Chromecast and Amazon Fire.  Why would you pay Joe Rogan 100 Million Dollars to be exclusive and make it impossible for a large portion of his audience unable to consume his show how they used to. Get it together.

Done!

Shame on you, Xenia! Being able to watch a video podcast should not be an "idea". And then quickly following that stupidity with a pandering request for a "Like" shows that your entire focus is inward and that you have no concern or connection to actual users.  Nice going.

Is this a Joke? 

Spotify! Come on. Get it together. 

SPOTIFY THIS IS A JOKE! GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER WE WANT VIDEO EVERYWHERE!

Spotify is the worst streaming platform out there hands down. No feature parity across any of their apps. No community requested features ever get implemented. Good job guys, it’s not easy to make the worst streaming platform. Kudos. 

This is so ridiculous. This lack of understanding from Spotify on this super basic issue is unbelievable. 10 MILIION SUBSCRIBERS TO JOE ROGAN YOUTUBE CHANNEL. Read that again, Spotify. 

Time to ditch paying for Spotify and go back to Apple Music, who pays musicians more anyways. 

**bleep**!

Just a quick update as of 2/10/2021

You still can't watch video on the Apple TV.

BUT you can watch Joe Rogan address this exact issue on YouTube and Apple TV, but not on the platform that paid over 100 million to have exclusive rights to him.

Developers/Business people/Podcasters/People with common sense... please take note of this complete failure from a major tech company. Then come to complete realization that actual human beings (like you and me) run this company and make these types of decisions. This gives me great joy knowing... I am at least smarter than people running Spotify. 

The viewership for JRE has dropped off like brick since the move and Spotify/Joe Rogan can only blame themselves.

Feel free to watch the clip here on your Apple TV or Xbox or PS or Phone or Browser or any other f**** device. Also there are things called comments that you can read as well below the video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdoLPtCCDsE 

@spotify - I am in the tech world and know a bit about software engineering.  Let me know if you guys need some help with BASIC video playback across your supported platforms.

Honestly, I can’t think of a single technical reason why you can’t add this feature to your “app” quickly... embarrassing doesn’t come to describe this situation.

love the music portion of the value Spotify provides, but this is a huge miss on your product management and overall rollout of JRE on Spotify.

truthfully I am not going to cancel my subscription if your competition is listening... my money is up for grabs.

used to watch many of joe rogan podcasts on my 75” tv while engaging in the community on my phone.

Now I’m trying to watch the new episode with Elon Musk on my iPhone instead of appleTv and it’s everything but the same experience.

you spent a hefty sum making an exclusive deal for his podcast, I would assume in a deal of this magnitude you do a lot of research and calculations on how many of his followers you can move to you platform.

Did you have major delay on your app development or was the expectation that  people would be okay with “consuming” podcast content in this manner ?

Tip when paying customers tells you they can’t watch the video on appTv it would be nice if you answer addressed that issue instead of you have plans for Chrome cast. Either you plan to fix it or not ?

When reading this thread months after initiated still no answer. That’s not good communication.

if it’s a joke I’m missing the punchline...

Suggested posts