Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I can't get Local files from my Pc on my iPhone

I can't get Local files from my Pc on my iPhone

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

iPhone 5s

Operating System

IOS 12

My Question or Issue

I am trying to get my local files on Spotify on my iPhone. I tried all the steps already. I added the songs to a new playlist. Connected my Phone to the same network as my Pc. And I tried to download them. The songs still won't show up on my playlist on my Phone. On Pc they are in there, on mobile there is literally nothing. 

Please help me 🙂 

Thank you!

10 Replies

Hi there @Itspatrick,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you try the following:

1. Make sure there are no special characters like !,',@,$,*,& etc. in the File names and that there are no letters outside of the standard English alphabet. Move the local files to a different folder on your computer and select that as a source.

2. Connect both your computer and phone to another network like a Mobile hotspot and have both apps open.

3. Reupload the local files, and make sure Local Files is switched On in your phone's settings. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm a little late because I wasn't home, but It still doesnt work.
I tried all these steps heaps of times. The name of the local file has no special letters, just an normal english word. I tried creating an different folder already, doesn't help unfortunately.

I connected them with the same network over and over again. I tried getting a different network (hotspot of my brothers phone) but it didn't change anything. They we're definitely connected with the same network. I was able to switch devices during a spotify session.
I also then tried starting the song on my pc, and then switching the session over to my phone using the "connect to a device" function. It would just show me an error message.

I re-uploaded the files. reinstalled the spotify application on both my Pc and my iPhone heaps of times. This all doesn't seen to work. The Local files setting on my phone and my pc are of course both switched to on.

Please help me, I don't know what to do.

Thank you!

Hi @Itspatrick

Thanks for getting back in touch.

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

Also, take a look at the steps and recommendations you'll find in this Spotify Answer about Local Files. If you've already checked those steps and the issue still persists, could you let us know what exactly you've tried from there?

Keep us posted on how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I haven't done an clean reinstall yet. I'll try tommorow.
Also:
On the following 2 screenshots you can see what it looks like from my phones (I had to use gyazo sorry, I don't know how I can attach files in here. )

On android (https://gyazo.com/8cae30b0918efb80c8b6ee2abc19db40)
you can see that the songs are showing up in the playlist, but there is like an error (!) symbol next to it, and when I click on it literally nothing happens.

On my iPhone (where I want them on https://gyazo.com/2d0055d1172549139787e0a90998c55d)
It looks like this, the songs don't even show up in the playlist. This is the exact same playlist.
Now you're probably thinking I have the local files setting disabled, but it is enabled as you can see on the following screenshot: https://gyazo.com/1a172fd6d1f5c980c84e0f4c30656782

So now I also did the clean reinstall, it didn't help sadly :(.
I tried all steps you recommended, nothing works.

Please help if you can :(!

Hey @Itspatrick,

Thanks for trying our suggestions and keeping us in the loop.

Just to confirm, did you make sure that the Local Files are in a supported format? You can see the supported formats here.

If they are, can you let us know the source where you've got the files from?

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

They are in the .mp3 format (i just checked)

I recorded the files myself.

Thanks for your help!

Hey @Itspatrick,

Thanks for clarifying. 

To make sure that we're on the same page - you mention that the files come up in the Windows app, they're also able to be played there properly, right?

Could you also share the approximate file size of the songs you're trying to import?

Keep us posted 🙂

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey,

Yes the songs play perfectly in the Spotify PC app. Also in the same playlist.

The songs are all together 7.4mb big (3 songs).

Thank you!

Hi @Itspatrick

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

We suggest that you change the source folder of the local files on the pc. The steps are: Uninstall Spotify on both devices > create a new folder somewhere else on the pc and move the local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

Then, restart your PC, log out and log back in your phone to check if that makes the difference. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts