Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Impossible to read title of long tracks

Impossible to read title of long tracks

It's impossible to read a full title especially with compilations of classical music. Since you promote the 100th century of Deutsche Gramophone, could you do something to let the user to see the entire title of a track ??? (See my image if you don't understand my English)
image.jpg
22 Replies

Hello, @Romain77777! I'm not an iOS expert so DO NOT QUOTE me on this one. I think there's no workaround now for this issue but you could definitely give some kudos to this ideas here:

iPhone App: Show full name of artist and song
iOS: "Intelligent" font size for long track/album/playlist titles

Both ideas are new so go ahead and show your support!

Edit:
Oh, and this idea, too.

Spotify Mobile - Song Title/Album Title Scrolling

Good idea, I'll try that. Thanks

Hey man I just posted about this but wanted to give support for others who have noticed this also. Kudos indeed

Agree this is a problem, especially with classical music.  It is a problem not only on mobile devices, but on computer as well.  Hope Spotify provides an upgrade to address this.

Any progress on this? A big problem for classical music.

Never had one. I have send an email thought. The answer was something like "Get over it". They basically don't give a f***.

As I have just discovered. Even track numbers would help finding Bach's Goldberg Variations number 13, or Shostakovich's Fugue number 8 amongst the identically titled truncated track names in the 24 Preludes and Fugues. So frustrating. You can see the scrolling title while the track plays and then extrapolate the correct track from there but that's clumsy. Especially for the Bach. At least Shostakovich's Fugue 8 is the 16th track.

Even my podcast app has an option "see beginning of/end of/scrolling track name"

This is really frustrating that this issue has been outstanding this long with Spotify, when you consider how many of their users listen to classical music and what a huge percentage of classical music pieces have long titles -- it makes it literally impossible to browse through classical music! 

Come on, Spotify! You can do better!

I agree. Classical tracks often have the name of the symphony/opera/whatever at the beginning of every track which means that every track looks exactly the same - see pic. This is completely useless. Either stop naming tracks in this way, or let users add their own nicknames to tracks, or display long titles properly.IMG_7829.PNG

I don't listen to classical music (but I respect it) and even for me it's unbelievable that orignal post was created 5 years ago and still, something so simple it's not included. Even in desktop version - you have those bars with an artis, song title, etc. - why they aren'e resizable? Is this that much problem? Another thing is that - spotify doesn't have any equalizer, but it's for another story. I really, really miss Winamp... Legal streaming with spotify database through this app would be so fantastic... Dream on...

I was dealing with the same thing, very frustrating indeed. 

If you use your computer though, you can right click on the song and select "credits" and that will show the entire name of the track. 

Thanks for this observation.  This definitely helps, though we would like on easier way to do this.  

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

What @user-removed is a valid workaround when using the Desktop app. 

You have a go at reducing the Text Size form the Display settings on your phone, this should make all the menus and text in the app smaller as well. Keep in mind that tracks with very long names will probably still not be displayed fully if you're browsing in a playlist view.

If you think other users might also like the idea for an option which allows you to see the names of songs in their entirety on Mobile, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented :slightly_smiling_face: 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It is some workaround, yes. But I encourage Spotify to look how the others
service (Qobuz for instance) deal with this issue. Their answers are for a
long time way better than the "workaround" proposed here. Since I think I
posted this message 8 years ago or so, I do think that it is totally a
decision from Spotify not to deal with this. I won't bother to put this
anywhere else. You do not care about classical music. So be it.

Hey there @Romain77777,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall.

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator

Hello, I just joined Spotify and got very frustrated at this same issue so I made this quick fix for Chrome users.

It automatically overrides the page's appearance when the page is opened. It uses Stylish for Chrome, there are probably other extensions like Stylish for Firefox and Safari.

1 - install the Stylish official Chrome extension (from the "..." menu > "more tools" in Chrome)

2 - close and open all browser windows

3 - then open the Spotify player page and launch the Stylish extension (from the top right part of tool bar, if the icon isn't there you can access it from the dark grey icon that looks like a jigsaw puzzle piece)

4 - in the Stylish window, clock the "..." menu on the top right, then "create style"

5 - in the new Style window, paste all that follows then click "save" on the left. Hope that it will help you 

Neldwegh_0-1628470244841.png

/* Fix to allow full display of long title names in the Spotify web player */

._7effa9d9b3900e9698aa6e0423a1e841-scss._98a17d59ea3df3c60b9699a6afe43816-scss[aria-colcount="5"] .bddcb131e9b40fa874148a30368d83f8-scss {
grid-template-columns: [index] 16px [first] 9fr [var1] 4fr [var2] 2fr [last] minmax(120px,1fr);
}

.e8ea6a219247d88aa936a012f6227b0d-scss.bddcb131e9b40fa874148a30368d83f8-scss {
border-top: 1px solid white;
padding-top: 10px;
padding-bottom: 10px;
}

.e8ea6a219247d88aa936a012f6227b0d-scss { height: auto; }

._7c993111016a33a158645119f8a6fb12-scss, ._5845794624a406a62eb5b71d3d1c4d63-scss { display: block; }

.fc0bebbbc5e1404f464fb4d8c17001dc-scss { float: left; }

._8ea0b892e971e6b90a252247c160b4f4-scss { display: block; }

.standalone-ellipsis-one-line { display: block; }

.ellipsis-one-line, .standalone-ellipsis-one-line {
overflow: inherit;
text-overflow: inherit;
word-break: break-word;
}

long song titles fix.png

Hey there @Neldwegh,

Thanks for sharing this workaround.

Users facing this issue would appreciate it.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Thanks for this idea. Seems pretty complicated and I haven't tried it, but
it does seem like a potential solution.

Suggested posts