Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ipod Spotify app shuts down during play when not actively in the app

Ipod Spotify app shuts down during play when not actively in the app

Spotify app updated on iPod 4 days ago (9-16-21).  During playback, Spotify app will stop whenever the screen is not actively showing Spotify, ie, when screen in power save, when viewing other apps, when on home screen.  I have tried restarting iPod, removing and re-installing app, and logging out and back in.  I have the most current iOS 14.8.  (iPhone was having the same issue, but re-installing the app worked on the iphone, not on the ipod).   Please help.   Matt

13 Replies

Hey there @mwoooo2000,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

We moved your post from the Ideas board to the relevant Help Board, where it fits better.

Could you try restarting the app twice in a row? This may sound odd but it's how the app does a refresh.

If that doesn't do the trick, check that the aren't any battery optimization settings enabled for Spotify and that it's allowed to run in the background.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Thanks for the tips, but they did not work.  During playback, when I have the iPod in power save mode (screen is dark), the app will just crash.  When I look at apps that are open, Spotify appears to be open, when I tap it to make it active, The Spotify logo comes up, like it's loading during initial start.  I have never had this issue before.  It started with the latest build being installed.  I use Spotify a ton and this is very frustrating!  I hope the next build fixes it.  
Matt

dear spotify

i have a similar problem. 

the problem started a day or two ago.

my problem is the spotify app continuously crashes on my iphone 7 plus and ipad 5th generation. i have the latest apple ios version 14.8 and the latest spotify version 8.6.62.1035.

the music will play for a minute or two then stop. the app seems to crash and reboot and I have to start the music again.

it is not a connectivity issue, spotify streams through my wi-fi on my laptop. it is not a cellular connectivity issue either, i've contacted at&t support.

i have followed all the spotify community advice I can find:

i have cleared cache, i have logged out and back in, i have deleted the app and reinstalled, blah, blah, blah, nothing has worked.

spotify should just admit there is a bigger problem, be transparent, i'm their customer and deserve more than an

archaic community support system. i have been dropped twice from chats, persumably with humans (thanks for nothing adam d and justrini r) this is the best a "high tech" company can do for support?

i would like to have my problem solved, or at least know what the problem is, not just be jerked around by band aid fixes that don't work. c'mon, man...

Hey @mwoooo2000

Thanks for the reply.

Can you try disabling the Background App Refresh for now? This could be found under Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh.

Let us know if that helps.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks.   I have always had the Background App refresh turned off.  I turned it on, then off, uninstalled the app, reinstalled it, and it still happens  (the shutting down when not actively IN the app, when screen is in power save mode (dark)).  
It will run for about a minute or so, and then it will shut down.  

Thanks for trying to help!

Matt 

Hi there @mwoooo2000,

Thank you for your swift reply. 

In order to continue, we'd like to make sure of your device's information. Could you send us a screenshot showing the iPod's OS version and Spotify's app version? 

This way we can take a better look at it and keep assisting you.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Everything is up to date.  Thanks!    Matt

Hi @mwoooo2000,

Thanks for your reply. 

It looks like the screenshots weren't attached correctly. Could you try it again? You can attach them to your next reply by tapping on the camera icon in the post editor.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

iOS   14.8
Spotify  8.6.62

So far, nothing has worked.  Another odd thing I noticed is that when I play Spotify with the app active, the battery life goes down very fast, and the ipod gets warm.  I guess I'll just have to wait until the next build comes out an ope that works better for me.  The previous build is on a few other devices (an ipad and another iphone) and this issue doesn't occur.  BLAH!!!!!   Thanks for you help!

Matt

Hey @mwoooo2000,

Thanks for the info 🙂

You can try disabling any power saving processes for Spotify, along side with Background App Refresh

Regarding the power drainage issue - the Spotify developer team is informed about this and they're working on a fix currently. Follow this thread for more info. We recommend keeping your app up to date, to not miss any upcoming fix 🙂

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I just wanted to update everyone:
A new Spotify build came out this weekend.  I loaded it, and everything is working correctly.  
Thanks for trying to help, guys!  Great community here!

Matt

Hey @mwoooo2000,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Glad to hear that the app is behaving as expected again.

If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator

Suggested posts