Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files/Playback questions

Solved!

Local Files/Playback questions

Hi!

So I have a few questions, but the first is: if I download local files so they can be played on my iPhone, but that song file is already store in the iTunes of my phone, is Spotify smart enough to scan for and use that file, or am I doubling the amount of space used on my phone for music? I know the computer can just pull the files from their source in the iTunes folder, can the mobile app do the same thing? (Please save the discussion of why I would still have the songs on my iTunes on my phone, its a long story)

Secondly, if I shared a playlist that is a mix of local and Spotify downloaded songs, I understand that other users wouldn't be able to play (or even see?) the local files. But if it is a local file that also in on Spotify's service (its just local on my library because I had already owned and imported it) is it smart enough to make those streamable for other users listening to the playlist?

Thanks for the help, finally made the switch to Spotify and love alot of the features but combining all my old music back into it (so I can have it all on one platform) is giving me a headace to say the least

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

1.) Spotify can't access songs off your iphone's itunes library, so you're essentianly doubling the space used by the same song.

2.) Yes, as long as the local file you added has enough metadata tags (Song Title, Album Artist, etc.).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

1.) Spotify can't access songs off your iphone's itunes library, so you're essentianly doubling the space used by the same song.

2.) Yes, as long as the local file you added has enough metadata tags (Song Title, Album Artist, etc.).

Suggested posts