Premium Student

Country

USA

Device

Iphone XS

Operating System

IOS 13.3

My Question or Issue

Ive enabled local files on spotify on my computer. Ive added them to a playlist. Im on the same local internet.I have also tried connecting to my phones hotspot. i can play the song on my computer and it will play on my iPhone. However none of the songs will show up in the playlist on my phone. The farthest Ive gotten is getting this message. The issue is there's no offline sync anywhere in my spotifuggle app on my computer both from the Microsoft store or downloaded from spotifys website.

IMG_0776.PNG
Spotify image.png
51 Replies

kokot1

Allow Spotify in this menu.
kokot1_0-1620167755007.jpeg

xAmbition
Casual Listener
I had this problem for *ages* - weirdly, it would download on my Android - but it would work "occasionally" on iOS, then stop. I tried deleting the cache, deleting the app over and over, but finally I stumbled upon the 3 things I needed to do to get it to work.

1. In iOS under "Home>Settings (cog in upper right hand corner)> Local Files - make sure it's turned "On" (green).

2. This is the weirdest part: I read somewhere that Netgear routers and Spotify don't get along, so I set up an adhoc wifi hotspot using my mobile phone and joined my iOS to it. (as a side note, iOS would NOT connect to a 5GHz network, so I had to set the phone wifi hotspot into 2GHz/compatibility mode)

3. Make sure your PC and your iOS device are connected to the same wireless hotspot.

I did the above and it worked *immediately*

So the problem doesn't appear to be Spotify, but Apple.

Goodluck!

J3rramy
Visitor

Found a fix!

There is a new menu in the settings to sync local files to the device you are using. Hope this helps!

IMG_1025.PNG
IMG_1024.PNG

Hecho
Visitor

Plan

Premium

Device

iPhone 7 Plus

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I can't see my local files in a playlist on my phone. It just shows up as an empty playlist on my phone but on my pc I can see all of the songs. I have premium, I have tried using a hotspot connection (since my pc does not have wifi), I have tried disabling my firewall. I can't see any of the songs in my playlist.

Amywc
Visitor

Plan: Premium

Device & Operating System

iPhone XS Max ( 13.3) and MacBook Pro 2018 (Version 10.15.2)

My Question or Issue

I've uploaded a few songs to my Local playlist on my Desktop app and have added them to a playlist, have tried logging onto the same WIFI on both my phone and Mac and using the hotspot on my iPhone but the uploaded songs don't appear on the playlist on my phone.  Help please! 

n6_p-yu0itoy
Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 7+

I am trying to play my local files songs on my iPhone. I've checked my firewall to make sure Spotify on my desktop is allowed and have added all my local file songs to a separate playlist which I have downloaded on my desktop and can play easily.

However, even when my phone and desktop are on the same wifi network, when I go to the playlist on my phone it is empty. How do I resolve this issue?

So far I have tried turning off my firewall but nothing has worked.

AeroZ
Composer

this is the reason: 
6A49E9BA-989F-430B-9B90-D031FCF84A22.jpeg

HenryNam
Regular
This was the only answer helped me! Thanks!

Wilsons718
Casual Listener
Stop Emailing Me

Jeremy

Hi there @xAmbition, @kokot1 and @HenryNam,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

@xAmbition and @kokot1 - it's really nice of you to share what worked for you. Thanks!

@HenryNam - We're really glad to hear that everything works as it should for you again.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

n6_p-yu0itoy
Casual Listener
This shows the songs, but they are still all greyed out and aren't downloaded on my mobile. It says "Waiting to Download" but I'm on the same wifi network as my desktop?

Xenia

Hey folks,

If you've gone through all the recommended steps here and here but your local files still won't play on your iPhone, make sure you have the Bonjour protocol enabled on both your devises and check if your router supports it.

Another thing you should check is whether the files you're trying to import are DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected. In case they're iTunes, you can check for DRM protected tracks by following these steps.

Hope this helps. Give us a shout if you have any further questions.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Where words fail, music speaks." - Hans Christian Andersen

bluestack112
Casual Listener

Short answer: Be an advanced network engineer to transfer your music files to spotify. You will need to learn about wifi transmitting, firewall, bonjour or hello, even 你好 protocol on both Windows and iOS to do so

Or: use iTunes

Your choice!

AeroZ
Composer

Then you probably have some sort of network configuration issue that won't let your devices communicate with each other.

Create a hotspot connection with your iPhone and connect your computer to it and then try again.

NuttyGeezer

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 11 Pro

Operating System

iOS 13

My Question or Issue

My local files say that they are downloaded on my iphone, but whenever i try to play them they just stop whatever music I had playing. Do I have to delete and re-add all of my local files? I've tried redownloading them for offline use on my phone but to no avail. What do I have to do to fix the issue?

Wsly11
Casual Listener

Same here, I've had this iPhone 11 since 12/22/2019 and it seems that syncing my local files is a very difficult thing, I'm on the same wifi, and the network connections are all open, and Spotify is being let through my Firewall.

LCFitz
Casual Listener

I have the same problem. Just got the new 11 yesterday and my local files won't play any more :C

Dorothyfromyork
Casual Listener

iPhone 11

premium account

latest app version installed 

Me too. Local files won’t play on my new iPhone. I’ve reloaded local files from Mac to new phone and downloaded a local files playlist onto my new phone. The playlist has downloaded. The local files are there and look like they are downloaded. But they don’t play.

weirdly the new local files playlist has also miraculously appeared on my OLD iPhone 6s and is playing fine.

Are there issues with iPhone 11? 

What else can I try? 

thank you 

Dorothyfromyork
Casual Listener

Hi

ive just upgraded my iPhone from a 6s to 11 pro

i did the set up last night and my Spotify app downloaded fine.

The issue I have is that the local files which played fine on my 6s are not playing on the new phone.

The files are showing in the playlists and look like they are downloaded but don’t play. They also say artist unknown. Do I have to download these local files again onto the new phone or is there an easy workaround?

thank you 

AeroZ
Composer

Regarding the "unknown artist" issue please post in this thread to get the attention of the mods: https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Synced-local-files-show-quot-unknown-artist-quot/m-...

Regarding the first issue, yes, you have to sync them to your phone from a computer again. Support article can be found here: https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/features/listen-to-local-files/ 

SUGGESTED POSTS