Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Newbie iphone6 problems

Newbie iphone6 problems

I am new to Spotify so I don't know if I am experiencing a problem or if this is normal behavior. I have never used Spotify before before, but it's not working the way I assumed it would work. Even if you can't help me solve the issue, would someone tell me if this behavior is normal?

Thank you in advance 🙂

I have a free account. iphone6 ios8.0.2 Latest Spotify. Installed uninstalled installed numerous times but always the same. I can only play my own songs. Is that what Spotify is? Just an alternate music program? I thought I could hear streaming stations and discover new music (via shuffle) even with a free account. It works like that on my PC and I assumed it would be the same on the iphone. Details below:

I open app and login

ss1

As you can see, I have a wifi connection.

I call up a playlist:

I press Shuffle Play. Instead of music, I get the following:

If I try a radio station, the button changes to a "pause" symbol (||), but no music plays. Only silence.

I go into settings and select "Hide Unplayable Songs" :

And now Spotify playlist is completely empty

4 Replies

What country are you in? This might have something to do with the music being restricted in certain countries. I have an iPhone 6 and I just tested it using a free account and that same playlist is working properly.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you Matt. I'm in Taiwan, but according to the spotify documentation, spotify is available in Taiwan. Is it possible that only taiwanese songs are playable? hmmmm...i'll test that...

Nope...even taiwanese pop songs by taiwanese artists on taiwanese labels with titles written in mandarin chinese gives me the same results. Good idea tho.

Thanks again.

OK, I just installed on my wife's iphone and exactly the same. So apparently spotify free is NOT available in Taiwan. A free account is apparently worthless here. I wish this information was clearly written somewhere. I dont care that it is unavailable. I care that I have wasted hours trying to make it work.

Thanks to everyone here for your help.

No thanks to @spotifycares on twitter who had me installing and reinstalling a service which is UNAVAILABLE.

I wont be recommending spotify.

Sorry for your troubles! 😞

I just checked the Spotify Taiwan website and it looks like you can only use a free account with the desktop app.

Currently the mobile app works with only premium accounts in Taiwan.

Free on mobile is only available in select countries right now. 

Spotify is trying to expand the availability but it has to due with agreements with the major music labels. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts