Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Notifications for new podcast episodes

Notifications for new podcast episodes

Currently using an iPhone X and have the most recent version of the app.  My friend who has the same model phone showed me a new feature whereby you can get push notifications when a new episode of a podcast you follow drops.  However, this feature doesn't seem to be working on my app.  When I click on follow on the podcast main page, all it does it unfollow the podcast.  I don't get any option to enable notifications.  Is anyone else having this issue as well?  

20 Replies

My guess is it hasn’t been rolled out to all users. I have the notification feature turned on for multiple podcasts and still don’t get the push notification. Not sure what gives!?

Hey @avmlsu and @jamalexjam,

Thanks for writing about this here in the Community. 

You might want to take a look at the Idea right here. It suggests to have push notifications for new podcast episodes and it's going pretty well so make sure to add your +VOTE and support 🙂 

Hope you'll find this useful. We'll be here if there's anything else we can help with.

Cheers!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi! Has anyone else had issues with the push notifications not working as expected? For example, I do not always get notifications when a new podcast is live even though I have the alerts for it turned on. Additionally, I just got a notification for a new podcast (today is Thursday), when the podcast was from Monday.

Not sure if this issue is specific to me, but this needs to be resolved if it is not!

Hey there @jptalaga,

Thank you for your post in this thread.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app to make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Also - is it one specific podcast or multiple podcasts this occurs on?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi, thank you for the help. I just completed all of the above steps and now I cannot even turn on notifications for podcasts. When I go to the page and click the follow button, it does not give me the option to turn it on and off. The functionality is now the same as it was before where it just unfollows or follows it. What should I do now?

Hey @jptalaga,

Thanks for getting back to us.

The developer team is currently running tests with the push notification feature. So  it's possible that you might see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a brand-new feature for only a temporary period. Click here to learn more about Spotify tests.

We recommend that you add your support for the idea that @Mario posted and subscribe to it. We'll share any updates on the matter there, as soon as there are any.

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Mihail Moderator

Hi. I have had the podcast notification option for weeks, maybe longer, on both Android and iOS, and I don't get notifications on either. I don't want to reinstall because I don't want to have to redownload everything I have. Is that the only fix? Thanks.

Even after following the above steps, I am not getting notifications for all podcasts or when new podcasts are published (i.e. getting notifications days after they come out).

I still don't have this feature in 2021. I'm moving to apple music, they may not listen but at least they deliver a consistent user experience. 

Can you share the link of @mario's post with me please?

Can you share the link to @Mario's idea please?

Hey there @jptalaga,

Here's the Idea Mario linked to earlier in the thread.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Does it really take *check notes* over 3 years to add push notifications to the app for when there's a new podcast episode? If you really want people from other platforms to move over to this one, Spotify really needs to ensure essential features like notifications (which bring them back into the app) are working.

Adding things like a comments section for podcasts (which is YouTube's huge advantage) would also be great, but seeing that it takes 3 years to get new episode notifications, I can tell that things like that are sadly a long way off

Hi, this topic is being discussed for a very long time now and your last entry is from mid November last year.

Now it is mid march 2021 and I still do not have the feature, I am not even able to switch on/off push notifications for podcasts (even if it would be not working).

I want/need that feature NOW, pls.

I completely agree. I miss so many episodes because I don’t realize new ones are posted unless I manually look. I primarily use Spotify for music like most people so it’s a chore to dig into podcasts. 

edit: ok I just found if I unfollow and then re follow a podcast, it gives me the option to have a notification. So this is good!

edit2: ok it also seems I can just tap on “following” and then use the slider to show notifications. So seems I was just mistaken when I first posted this reply. 

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

As mentioned above - you have head over to the idea that @Mario and @Alex mentioned and leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Don't like your response.

The idea you refer to is from 2017-09-23 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not see any reason to not implement a simple push notification within 3,5 years, but am happy to be convinced of the opposite.

Push notification is a standard code you can get anywhere and copy&paste to your code.

In my view this is extremely poor client orientation within Spotify.

It is 4/6/21 I still don't have this basic feature in the middle of 2021 and im a paying customer, just unacceptable, how hard can it be?

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback.

In this case we suggest that you head over to the idea that's been provided above.

We also recommend that you always keep your app up to date for any future updates.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Suggested posts