Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline mode

Solved!

Offline mode

Does Spotify app always default to streaming unless offline mode is selected?

If you have requested songs to be made available for offline mode would the app still try and stream the songs unless offilne mode was selected?

couldnt find answers in FAQ.

thx

Russell 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there, Just based on experience no it does not stream if the song is synced for offline use. It uses the file that has been synced.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Because say for example on my iPhone 4s when im not able to connect to a 3G network the songs constantly cuts out and laggs as the E connection isnt fast enough to load the song before it plays it. But the songs and playlists that i have set to offline play perfectly with no cut outs or lagging even if im not connected to 3G or even if i drive through an area with no signal at all.

Marked as solution

I've tested it on my Android phone using an App called 3g watchdog. As far as I can see, there's almost no data transmission when playing songs downloaded for offline use (even though I'm connected through 3g). As soon as I start a song that is not among my downloaded ones, the app starts to monitor much more data transfer. I guess that this should be proof enough 😉 Best, Alex

10 Replies

Good question.  I would have to assume based on logic that the answer would be no, if a song is set to be available offline then it must of coarse exist locally and therefore inefficient to stream it.  I am however disappointed as to why this has not been answered deffinitely.

Marked as solution

Hey there, Just based on experience no it does not stream if the song is synced for offline use. It uses the file that has been synced.

I would have to agree, but just because it is the obvious thing to do doesn't mean it is what happens.  What makes you say it does?

Marked as solution

Because say for example on my iPhone 4s when im not able to connect to a 3G network the songs constantly cuts out and laggs as the E connection isnt fast enough to load the song before it plays it. But the songs and playlists that i have set to offline play perfectly with no cut outs or lagging even if im not connected to 3G or even if i drive through an area with no signal at all.

Good enough for me.  To really test it though you would have to analyze the real time data transfer somehow.

Marked as solution

I've tested it on my Android phone using an App called 3g watchdog. As far as I can see, there's almost no data transmission when playing songs downloaded for offline use (even though I'm connected through 3g). As soon as I start a song that is not among my downloaded ones, the app starts to monitor much more data transfer. I guess that this should be proof enough 😉 Best, Alex

Yep, that's proof. Thanks.

You're welcome!

Hey guys,

Sorry to drag this thread up again, but I'm finding that this isn't the case. If, using my phone, I play tracks I have downloaded and available for offline playback, they will be interrupted when I start streaming either on another phone or PC. If I turn the data connection off on my phone, then I can play the downloaded tracks and stream elsewhere without interruption.

I also receive this error message when i then start streaming again using my phone with the data connection back on.

Is there any way to change this setting as it's impractical to have to turn off my data connection just to listen to music on my phone.

Thanks

Spotify error message.jpg

Spotify is licensed for your own personal use and they only allow streaming on one device at a time since you can't be listening on two devices at the same time @rhysofen .

Suggested posts