Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 12 Mini

Operating System

iOS 14

My Question or Issue

Just recently bought a new device and am still encountering this issue: when I queue up music on iOS, it will stop Spotify altogether once it reaches that song, forcing me to close the app and re-open to play the queue again. This has been happening for months and no reinstalling/new device/bug-searching solves anything. 

24 Replies

Hey @nathanlunsford,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're sorry to hear about this.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app to make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick - can you let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Howdy Jeremy! I've done a clean install multiple times and still encounter the issue. Sometimes even when queuing up music, it will appear as a blank row of data within the Queue, too. These sorts of issues have been happening for around four months by now.

Version: 8.5.86.

Thanks! 

Hi there @nathanlunsford,

Thanks for the info.

Can you tell us if this happens on other devices or the Web player as well?

You can also try logging in with a different account, this will help us check whether it's an account-related issue. You can ask a friend to log in with their account or create a new free account to try this.

Keep us posted!

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I've been struggling with this problem for all of 2020 and it really frustrates me, as someone who uses the que function every day. What's worse is that even if I delete the que entirely... The music-playing aspect of Spotify still doesn't work.

I can press a green "Play" button, or the Play icon in the middle of a playlist/album cover, OR repeatedly click a track, and *still* nothing starts playing.

Sometimes, very seldomly, if enough minutes have passed, something DOES start to stream. Long after the request was initiated. Even then, however, clicking on anything else I feel like playing crashes the streaming function. Instead of just replacing the Now Playing track.

Hey there @whjacq

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community.

Would you mind letting us know your device's make, model, OS version and Spotify version?

Also, is this still happening when you log into your account using another device?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I’ve had the same issues that you and the other person described, it’s been like this for months now and I don’t know how to solve the problem.
I’m on iPhone 12, iOS 14.3.

Hi @AngeloCarvana,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out about this. 

First up, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

Additionally, could you let us know if you have any cache-clearing apps that cleans your phone's cache everyday? If so, we'd suggest adding Spotify to the exception list.

Let us know how it goes!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks for the additional replies y'all, I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one! 

@Spotify Team, I've done clean installs, wiped my phone, etcetera. It continues to happen on mobile, but if I queue up via desktop, it does not. This has unfortunately been a problem for so long, that for as often as I am streaming music, I may have to switch services. 

Hi again @nathanlunsford,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

To narrow down the possible cause of this issue, could you try using a different account, like a friend's or relative's?

It'd also be helpful if you could try on a different mobile device and the web player, and let us know if this behavior persists.

CarlosEModerator

I don't have another device, but I'd be happy to test an account if Spotify provides one to me. The other person to respond with this issue also has an iPhone 12, so I'd guess it's because of these new devices. Can we relay this to the dedicated QA team to try to replicate the issue, rather than have a user attempt to the bug? 

Hey @nathanlunsford,

Thanks for you reply.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but we're afraid we couldn't replicate this issue on our end and haven't seen any other recent reports about this.

In this case, it'd be of great help if you could try what we suggested - the more info we collect the easier it'd be to get to the root cause of this so it can be looked into.

If you can't borrow another device or account, you can create a free account using a different email here.

We'd also like to know if this also happens when you add songs to the queue from the desktop app or the web player and you play them on your phone via Connect.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

I’ve tried doing a clean reinstall but it didn’t solve the issue. Moreover, I do not have any cache clearing apps on my iPhone.

I’ve been experiencing this problem for many months now, even before the release of the iPhone 12, when I had an iPhone 6s. I thought the problem was related to the fact I had an old device, but even after getting a brand new iPhone 12 the issue still happened.

Hey @AngeloCarvana

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to confirm, have you already tried logging into your account using a different device to see if you can replicate the issue?

You can also give it a try using a different internet connection.

Keep us posted!

NovyModerator

Howdy Team,

I can now confirm it's happening on my iPad as well. When a queued song surfaces to play, and it's a blank row, it stops playing music altogether and I have to close and re-open the app for the queue to appear and resume playing.

I'm guessing next steps is making a free account and see if it still persists on either device?

Hi again @nathanlunsford

Thanks for this info. 

If possible, you can create the new account to see if the issue persists in it. 

If it doesn't work, could you attach a screen recording where we can take a better look at this so we can continue investigating?

NovyModerator

Tried on my sister’s iPhone 11 and it happens as well, it’s the same thing that @nathablunsford described on the other post. Since it happens on different devices with the same account, I think the problem is related to the account. It’s been happening for many months now and it still hasn’t been fixed, I don’t know if I’m gonna renew my subscription when it expires

Hey @AngeloCarvana,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

For what you're describing, it might be indeed related to your account. To determine if this is the case, could you try using another account, like a friend's or relative's, on your phone and let us know if this behavior persists?

If it works well, then we recommend creating a new account. You can then transfer your content over to the new account by following the steps in this article.

Lastly, you can cancel your current subscription by following these steps and subscribe on your new account.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Can’t do that right now cause I bought the one-year subscription so I’ll have to wait until December, when it expires

Hey @AngeloCarvana,

Thanks for getting back to us.

If you don't have the option to use a friend or family members account, could you give the web player a go and see if the queue functions properly there?

We'd also appreciate it if you attach a screenshot or recording of what you see at your end when the issue occurs so we can have a closer look.

We'd love to investigate this further! We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts