Removing duplicate songs removes BOTH tracks

Plan

Premium

Device

iPhone X

Operating System

Latest iOS 13

My Question or Issue

Just noticed when cleaning up my "Liked songs" playlist that when I have duplicates, it sometimes removes BOTH tracks, not just the one I have un-liked.

Is this a known thing? 

27 Replies

Hey @SpartanChrisUK, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could you attach a screen recording of this issue?

I'd also suggest to try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

This happens to me too and it is getting annoying.
Like it starts happening on songs I've had in my liked songs for ages.
All of a sudden, two copies of it and unliking one of them removes both copies and I have to search for the song again.
Its been happening ever since I have had Spotify from community to premium across multiple platforms (PC and MAC).
I don't know, it is frustrating and honestly wondering why I pay for a service that can't even maintain a song list at this stage.

Hey @maherb,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear you feel this way and we'd love to help you out.

We'd suggest you start off by restarting your devices. Then you can log out and log back in to the account.

If that doesn't do the trick, you can give these steps a go and perform a clean reinstall. By doing that the app can be up-to-date and you can make sure the cache is not leading to this issue.

If that doesn't help, it's a good idea to try with another account. That way we can see if it's an account-related issue.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Ok that seems to have fixed the issue on my work laptop for Windows 10. I will try on my other devices.

Thanks for your help. I was just frustrated with it earlier. I do love Spotify 🙂

Ok, the duplicate songs came back after reinstalling the app yesterday on my Windows 10 machine so I guess this is a different problem.

Hey again @maherb,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear that the issue came back. We're happy to help you further.

Would you mind confirming if you performed a reinstall or a clean reinstall of the app since a clean reinstall ensures that any old cached files are not causing this.

Also - it would be great if you can try with another internet connection.

If that doesn't do the trick - log in with another account on the device - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists,

Keep us posted. We'll have an eye out for your reply 🙂

Cheers!

Hi yeah I did a fresh install and cleared the cache. It seemed to go away and then came back the following day.

I don't have another network connection or account to try with though. Is there anything else I can try?

Hey @maherb,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

Just to double check- does the issue occur on another device? That way we can check if it's a device-related issue. If this happens on your PC, you can try running the app as an administrator. 

You can also try creating a new account here. Does the issue persist? 

Keep us posted! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

I found out that if you remove the version you added earlier to your playlist, all versions are removed. But if you remove the version added later, the earlier versions are safe. I am using the desktop app on a Windows computer.
Maybe this works for others, may be it's a quirk just for my installation of Spotify.

Hello, I've been through the thread and tried everything to get my Spotify app to not remove both tracks when removing one but nothing is seeming to work. I've tried on both my iPhone 13 and my Windows 10 laptop, on and off of wifi, and done a clean reinstall of the app on my laptop to no avail.

I have singles saved but then want to keep them as part of the album once the album drops, however when I remove the single (first save) it removes them both. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi @Callahan_lyons,

Thanks for posting on the Community. 

Could you tell us if this started after any recent update? Also, let us know if this happens when using the web player too.

On another note, tell us if this happens with a different account and send us the exact iOS version your phone and make/model of your Windows laptop.

We'll be looking for your reply. 

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

It has been this way for months, maybe even over a year. However it didn't happen when I was using the web player. Is there any reason this might be? I wouldn't mind logging into the web player every few weeks to remove duplicates, but it doesn't allow you to search through your liked songs by title. My iOS version is 15.4.1 and my PC is a DELL-X360-AMD-8GB-SSD

Hey @Callahan_lyons,

Thanks for bringing this up and the troubleshooting steps you've already tried.

As you mentioned doing some troubleshooting, mind confirming the exact things you tried? It'll help us offer you currently relevant suggestions.

To further confirm, have you experienced the same with other devices or only this one? 

Does removing duplicates and later adding the same song also add duplicate songs? And, does adding a song also immediately add its duplicate? Or, is there any time-interval between saving a song and then seeing its duplicate? 

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

Mario Moderator

Besides redownloading the app on both my PC and iPhone, I couldn't think of many things to try. The issue does exist on both of these platforms, though. I can remove one song (which removes both) and then Like it again and only get one version, but this causes it to be at the top of my most recently added songs, which is annoying when I want my songs to be ordered by the time I actually heard them.

As far as saving songs, I never get more than one saved. My dilemma primarily happens when I save a single from a yet-to-be-released album, then save it from the album and want to remove the single.

Hey @Callahan_lyons,

Thanks for your reply. 

In this case, we recommend that you log out everywhere. You'll find this option by scrolling down here. Afterwards, reinstall the app on your devices (you'll need to download your tunes again if you have Premium). Once this process is completed, restart your devices before launching Spotify again.

Lastly, save a new single (from a yet-to-be-released album) and tell us if the issue persists. 

We'll stay tuned.

AndresMModerator
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Looks like it worked, thanks!

Hey there @Callahan_lyons,

Fantastic news! Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help.

Have a great day 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This still is a real issue, I get it every now and then.

E.g. I liked a song in my Discovery weekly, then the one from the album (same art, time etc.) a hour or so later as it was unliked. Then I go to my Likes, dislike the first one, both of them get disliked... It happens often enough that it made me search for this, obviously.

The uninstalling from everywhere fix shouldn't apply as this was done using the same PC.

Hey @Zadak,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

Can you send us the URI of the songs you mentioned? That way we'll have a better look at these tracks.

On another note, just to confirm, can you share with us exactly what troubleshooting you've already done? Did you mean that you use the app just on your computer? If yes, did you notice if this is happening in both the desktop app and the web player?

Did you notice if this is happening on another device? It'd be awesome if you could check. You can ask for the device of a relative or a friend to open your account and check.

Lastly, we suggest you log out and log in twice onto your Spotify account on your computer; this way the system will force a resync of your account.

Keep us in the loop and don't hesitate to get back to us if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

AlejaRModerator

Suggested posts