Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffling to songs not in the playlist

Solved!

Shuffling to songs not in the playlist

I don't have premium and I'm not going to purchase it till this problem is fixed. Basically, when i shuffle a playlist, it'll play songs not in the playlist. It'll even play songs I've never heard of. However, it always plays a song from the same artists in my playlists. My playlists are mostly single songs from an artist here or an artist there. I even tried making a playlist with just one song, and it'll still shuffle to other songs from that one artist. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app but to no avail. Help!

110 Replies

SAME PROBLEM HERE. I have tried every "fix" possible. Playlist longer than 12 songs. Check. Play Queue
empty. Check. Playlist playing songs not on playlist and NOT even on albums in playlist. Check. Check. In fact, the songs it keeps playing on its own accord happen to be the same songs over and over. Some being Christmas songs by the artist that are MOST DEFINITELY NOT on and albums on playlist. And, of course spotify only lets you skip so many songs before it locks you from doing that. So then, I am stuck with songs from God knows where and nothing I can do about it. It really makes Spotify pretty useless. What's the point. Mind as well use Pandora. Less work and same outcome.

So, this topic is now 2 years old and yet the problem is still happening - way to go Spotify Customer Service!

I have around 40 tracks on my playlist but when it comes to certain songs it appears to start playing other songs from the same artist, or possibly from the album that your original song came from.  It even played a different version of a song that was on my playlist.  This has only recently started happening to me, it used to work fine for me until just before Christmas.

You're also replying that there is a solution, but I see no solution.  If it's this 12 songs thing, that clearly isn't the problem.  Posting it twice doesn't make it the solution!

It looks like this was solved in 2014, but I am dealing with it now. I'm trying to play children's music for my toddler and it's adding in artists like Eminem, which isn't really appropriate. The artists it is adding aren't remotely related or appropriate for my little guy.

Also, in my case.. I happen to be on Windows and having this issue.. Turns out I had a few items I qued a long time ago and never used spotify until now. So anyone basically I was showing my hair color.. despite how different from the stereotype I am, it still happened. 😕

I have more than 12 tracks but it continues to play songs that are not on my playlist

That's happening to me too. I have more than 12 but it still continues to play songs that I don't have on the playlist. It's frustrating

Well guess what Spotify? **bleep** you and your stupid suggested tracks and limited skips and making me shuffle songs instead of choosing them even when I'm ONLINE. **bleep** you!

And reply to me and admit that Spotify is dumb as **bleep** and mean to their customers.

I believe they are doing this to try and push people to upgrade but it seems to have the opposite effect.It's infuriating to hear some crazy bad song that you never picked,that was why I left pandora but I am going back now I think..also some songs that I have picked get played over and over instead of a true shuffle...

Actually, this doesn't appear to be happening for me now but clearly it is for others.

I have the same issue.  I am on my own playlist with thirty songs.  The playlist is quiet and every now and then, on shuffle, it chooses something from an album that an artist has a song on but is not on the playlist.  Nothing I have read has helped the issue.

This keeps happening to me too!

I have a paid account, it's updated, using the web player right now, there are lots of songs in my list, i've created the list again from scratch.

Still those same **bleep**ing songs added in. **bleep**!

Please help me spotify, the list is essential to me to be able to concentrate for a very difficult study, the added songs are ruining my concentration. 

Licensing rules prohibit playing the same artist over and over again, as far as I know. Make sure to have multiple artists and multiple albums in your playlist so it can get a good mix. I have a workout list that has 29 songs and 10 artists and have never heard a single song outside of the list after using it for 2 years.

Interesting because, the problem is that I have a very mixed playlist with few artists repeated and yet Spotify starts playing completely different songs from the same artist. I will also add that this issue doesn't appear to be happening for me anymore.

**bleep**!!!! Finally signed out and then signed back in and all was back to normal. Had 2 playlists with COUNTRY music and I was getting Drake and rap music not even in the same Genre and phew this worked. Maybe not for everyone but me!

LOL that **bleep** was just O M G.. LOL

I'm now getting this problem after my mother changing to premium family instead of regular premium. Can it be fixed yet!? I'm a paying customer!

Try logging out and back in again. No guarantees but don't expect a fix as such if I were you 😔
Marked as solution

I started having this problem recently also. I found that it was only starting to play the additional songs after my songs had finished. I discovered the AutoPlay feature in settings and turned it off. I no longer have the problem. Hope this might help.

Suggested posts