Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sleep timer does not work with latest iOS version of Spotify

Sleep timer does not work with latest iOS version of Spotify

iPod Touch, latest generation.  When I set the timer on the iPod to stop playing and I am using Spotify, it will initially stop but then immediately starts playing again.  This is a new problem with the latest version of Spotify.  I tested it and the timer works fine with iTunes.  To check this, just set your sleep timer to one minute with Spotify playing.  Hopefully they will get this bug fixed.

43 Replies

Yes I agree - after months of the issue being alerted, new iOS software release and numerous spotify updates, the issue is still not resolved.

I know a spotify rep mentioned earlier that it wasn't anything to do with their app, well if that's the case, how did sleep timer work with the app at all? It worked one day, updated to the new spotify app and then it stopped working!

Please fix this or as mentioned above, add the functionality to the native app!! Just last night I tried the very same thing. Sleep timer did not terminate the music and hence my battery life upon waking is 8% with music playing through my headphones.

Until it's fixed I recommend a free app called 'Music Sleep Timer' from the App Store. Software from a guy called Jason Everett. It's not pretty but it will shut down your Spotify app. NB: you must run it in the foreground on your iPhone

Music sleep timer works perfectly on ios5 to stop spotify.
I can now fall asleep with spotify and I won't woke up with it still running.
Thanks.

Hi Leorose, did you get a chance to test it on iOS6? It still doesn't seem to work with the latest update.

Yep great call - I have been using this for months now and it always shuts it down. 

Cheers!

The problem still isn't fixed, it's really annoying!

I liked Spotify so much because I could get to sleep on some nice music, but without the working sleep timer it's just useless.

If the priority from Spotify for this problem is zero, than I would probably unsubscribe in a little while.

Spotify, please fix this!!

Same here.

I'm also waiting for a fix since ages now. The sleep timer is an essential use case for me and required to keep me subscribed.

Dear Spotify PM/PD/PO please prioritize this one.

It seems to work with other music streaming services, e.g. Juke.

There is a work-around for the sleep timer bug in iOS for those that are still waiting. I'll try and explain it as best as I can.

1. Play your music in Spotify app.

2. Exit Spotify and open Clock app. Open timer section on bottom right.

3. Set the amount of time you want Spotify to "sleep" in. eg, 60 minutes

4. Select an alarm in the "when timer ends" list.

5. Start timer.

6. Change the "when timer ends" to Stop Playing.

7. Your Spotify will stop playing after the allotted time.

You're welcome!

Nope, doesnt work..

Strange, just double checked on mine and worked perfectly...

What version of iOS do u have? What version of iPhone? And the latest Spotify update? I tried it with one minute, maybe it will work with a longer times but I dont think so

Yep, latest version of Spotify. I've got an iPhone 5 and an iPad 4, both running iOS version 6.1.2.

When I double checked it I only ran it for a minute.

So just to clarify, you've set a normal countdown timer with a normal alarm tone, started the timer, then whilst the timer is running changed to "stop playing".

If so I don't understand as mine works perfectly and has done regardless of the iOS and Spotify version for quite a while now.

Yep, did everything u said. The only thing that maybe makes a difference is that I have a 32GB and a European version (A2829). Im Dutch. Aahh it sucks!

It works! Only difference I did was that I started Spotify AFTER I set the alarm, and then change it to stop playing. So thanks!

Awesome to hear imuse. Strange that such a little difference stops it from working but glad you got there in the end!

Same problem description here as the original post.
When I set a timer to stop playing, playback gets stopped after the timer runs out, but playback starts immediately again.

Tried the solution steps from imuse, but they didn't work for me... 😞

iPad2, 64GB+Cell, European
iOS 7.0.4
Spotify 0.9.2.7

Same situation as Solafladu!

Sleep timer always does not work ( Version 0.9.3). Not good that Spotify Ltd the problem can't fix. Other music apps support the sleeptimer. Really weak!

Hey guys,

Been also banging my head trying to make this sleep timer to work on Spotify, but still I can't. Until I found a temporary way out that hopefully works for you too. http://www.rushlywritten.com/2014/02/how-to-add-or-set-music-sleep-timer-to.html

Not a perfect solution though but that's going to do you a favor 🙂

For the record, like I said in a previous post, I cancelled my paid subscribtion until this is fixed. The trick I used before only worked 2 times.

Suggested posts