Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sort my LIBRARY by Artist and then by Album

Sort my LIBRARY by Artist and then by Album

Hi, When I look at my Library (my Library, not online Search) and select Artist. Then if select any Artist, say Bob Dylan. I have 30+ Dylan albums in my library. Say I want to listen to the album 'World Gone Wrong'. Currently (iPhone), when I go to Library->Bob Dylan, I am presented with a list of ALL Dylan's songs, in album alphabetical order, along with showing me what album the song is on. But I want to listen to the album 'World Gone Wrong', but maybe I don't know that yet, maybe I'm just scrolling. BUT the point is, when I select Artist-> I should see a list of that Artist's ALBUMS. Not a list of every single song by that Artist. Back 30 years ago, when I'd look at records or CDs, I'd see all Albums by an artist. I didnt have a music shelf full of 100s of singles. I'm with Spotify over a year now and I'm honestly flabbergasted that this isn't available. To play my World Gone Wrong album, I have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll, instead of just scroll and scroll, through ALBUMS NOT SONGS, Two or three scrolls, there's my World Gone Wrong album, happy days. I look forward to any reply. Thanks Mike

6 Replies

Hey @Mike_Tipp, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could you attach a screenshot?

Usually if you go to an artists page in Spotify and expand their discogrphy everything is organized in albums, singles etc.

Keep me posted 🙂

Hi Loxer, thanks for your reply. Please see attached screen shots. Pic 7792 shows the artists in my library, 7793 shows the screen when I click on Bob Dylan. You can see here that ALL Dylan's songs are listed. So if I want to scroll through albums, I have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll. What I strongly feel I should be presented with in pic 7793 is a list of Dylan's ALBUMS. 

I hope this helps.

Mike

IMG_7992.PNG
IMG_7993.PNG

Mike I am with you 100%.  Have had Spotify about a year, and until a recent change liked the interface pretty while.  Since the change the  feature you are seeking has disappeared.  Of course you should be able to sort within an artists's albums that you have in your library AT THE ALBUM TITLE LEVEL alphanumerically and by date of release at a minimum.   I usually listen to an artist by album (old or new).  Now the only way to find that album is to search for it again - every single time - or to scroll through thousands of albums until you get lucky.  It is absolutely ridiculous and I am actively looking at competitors.

Hi Dwayne, just last night I traded tweets with Spotify over this. They confirmed it can’t be achieved but said they’ll pass it on for consideration. I took a trial subscription with Apple, who does support this functionality. However I felt the way Spotify handles genres and their playlists were better e.g. coffee table jazz, relaxed jazz, blues classics etc. I didn’t see the same suggestions etc from Apple. It’s ridiculous the way they have it. Let me know how you go with the change. Mike

Hi Spotify any update to this? It seems uncomprehensible that this "feature" does not exist. Reality is this is not a feature but a basic UI implementation which has been industry standard across every evolution of music players since they were digitised. Why i would want a list of 200 songs of my favourite artist and not albums may work for Gen Z who want to shuffle everything, for us traditional folk who may, you know, actually want to listen to an album - this UI is garbage.

Hey @ajstone86,

Thanks for your post.

You can sort your playlists by Album, Artist etc. and the filter (using the magnifying glass tool) only a select artist or album, or key word. 

If you're not happy with the current UI design, you can share your thoughts in these threads:

If you have ideas on how to improve the app and think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts