Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connection Bugs Google Home/Streaming Music - Fail!

Spotify Connection Bugs Google Home/Streaming Music - Fail!

Plan

Premium [2 years + ]

Country

USA

Device

iPhone XR

Operating System

iOS 13

My Question or Issue

Connection between Spotfiy and Google Home Mini Speaker crashing/failing: Every time I connect spotify with my Google Home Mini Speaker the following happens: The app skips ahead 3-4-5 random songs in the same play list, plays about 30 sec [if that!] of a song then stops playing altogether. If I open the Google Home app i can see that the device is still being streamed to, the little bars in the icon are moving as tho sound/music is being played. I have rebooted the home wifi service, hard rebooted and soft rebooted the google home mini. Unlinked then linked the spotify app with my google home account. Deleted then added the spotify app on my phone. Cleared the cache. Just about every other troubleshooting suggestion I have found both here and in the Google Help forums. What gives?? This issue I guess is nearly 3-4 years old in some cases why does it keep on occuring? I get that some apps need updating and I checked that everything on my iPhone/iOS was up to date. I even hard re-start the phone!... When is this ongoing connection bug gonna be fixed and what is the current work-around for anyone wanting to stream music? It was really effing embarassing to have a room full of people suddenly go silent because the Spotify app was no longer working nor streaming music to my Google speakers. I even tried using the direct voice request to play "any" music which the Home app would try to do and then "dead air".

Street Photographer San Diego Skateboarder Surfer former X-Edge Screamer
3 Replies

I have exactly the same issue, was there a solution provided?

No, it only fixed itself with an app update from the developer. 

Check the app store for updates regularly, since this was the root cause of the issue. The incredibly frustrating part of this issue was how long it took to get fixed, and the zero feedback by way of updates from the developer provided - i was whistling in the dark basically and only found out the reason behind the issue from feedback off Reddit. If it happens again and lasts as long I'm cancelling my service. I could understand this prolonged bug from an app that received comparatively low levels of customer engagement or public reach... the fact that Spotify is ranked as NUMBER TWO in the App Store for Music apps really is concerning that issues like this arise and there is little by way of immediate solutions or feedback keeping people in the loop and not left to their own devices to make blind assumptions to the root cause of the issue or blindly applying any solution they come across. 

Street Photographer San Diego Skateboarder Surfer former X-Edge Screamer

I ended up fixing it resetting the google home device and reassigning it,
thanks.

Suggested posts