Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app shows different song playing from what's playing via Connect

Spotify app shows different song playing from what's playing via Connect

NOTE: This isn't specific to iOS, as the desktop app has the same issue. It seems to be an issue with Connect rather.

When I'm playing a shuffled playlist, radio, or Daily Mix to a Spotify Connect device (Audiocast dongle), at some point, the apps (phone and computer) will show a different track playing from what's actually playing. The only way to reconcile this is to pause, play locally to the device, then reconnect to the Connect device.

Is this a known bug, or something that can please be fixed? Thank you!

22 Replies

I have noticed this too on my devices 

Hi @user-removed & @alphonsoii, welcome to the Community.

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps. I'd also recommend installing the latest updates available.

If possible could you attach a screenrecording or screenshots when the issues is occurring? 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

I've restarted and reinstalled, and it even happens on different devices. I'm fairly confident it's a Spotify Connect issue.

I don't think a screen recording would show the point, as it's literally PLAYING a different song from what it says is playing. You need to hear and know the songs, but trust me, it's happening.

I'm running Spotify 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b on macOS 10.14.2 and Spotify 8.4.79.933 on iOS 12.1.2.

A similar thing is happening to me. When listening to an album, after a couple songs it will start showing the next song not the current song. For example, track 4 starts playing, after a couple seconds the display showing the current song switches over to the info for track 5, while track 4 is still actually playing. From then on it’s constantly showing the wrong song.  It’s annoying to look at the screen and know it’s the wrong song for music I know. Even worse when listening to new music and hear a song I like. I look at the screen and don’t know if the song it says is the song I’m hearing. 

Is this something you can report to the Spotify devs? It's a legit bug.

Spotify app shows different song playing from what's playing via Connect,

I tried all that was suggested 

i do, by Spotify technical support. and it did not fix this bug, it still bugs me plenty.

Same phenomenon on my device (IOS - IPhone 7). Quite frustrating to not be able to only listen to my playlist.

Same here. If I shuffle a playlist, the first song displays correctly on my Denon receiver. It never updates after that...unless you hit Skip then it will be correct for that song only.

Was there ever a resolution provided for this? I am currently having this issue with Spotify on Amazon Cube. I have an everywhere playlist across my four Amazon devices (Cube, Echo, and 2 x Dots). The Cube is connected to my main TV and when I play a playlist or station on Spotify to the everywhere group, the TV always displays one song ahead even though the audio is in sync with the rest of the devices. For example, audio on all my devices is playing "Track 4" of a playlist but the TV is displaying album graphics, song title, and artist for "Track 5".

Same problem  on Galaxy Note 8.  Shows same songs (like it gets stuck), but plays entirely different songs.  Very frustrating! 

Same thing happening to me on Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra using Spotify version 8.5.78.909

Hey @AlexCP67!

Thanks for reaching out here on the Community.

Right now we have an Ongoing issue with what you seem to be experiencing on your phone.

You can take a look here to see what steps you can take to try and solve this. Feel free to leave your details and +Vote in the thread as well.

Hopefully we'll have this sorted out soon, keep an eye on the page for any updates.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help out with 🙂

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am having the same issue on the Samsung A10. Mine also stops the music randomly.

Phone: Samsung A10

Spotify Version: 8.5.85.894

Hey @Djmusictime,

Thanks for posting.

Do the issues come up after a clean reinstall? You can find instructions on how to do one here. That way you can make sure the cache is not causing this.

If afterwards the issues persists, could you let us know if the music stops randomly on other devices as well? With regards to the wrong track being displayed, we'd appreciate if if you share the make, model and OS version of the other devices you are connecting to. Also - does this happens only when using Connect, or also when you're using only one device?

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator

Hi @Mihail

I haven't tried a clean reinstall but I will give it a go.

The issue happens with any Bluetooth device I use. I used my Bluetooth headphones and wireless speaker and still had the same issue. The worst part is it randomly happens. I could be using Bluetooth for hours and its fine and other times I use it for 10 mins and already have issues.

Bluetooth Device specs:

-Skullcandy Ink'd Headphones - No other info available

- Sony SRS-XB12 Bluetooth Portable Speaker - No other info available

Yay, it's not a connect thing since I am only using my phone and it only ever happens with Bluetooth.

I will try the clean reinstall and let you know if the issue appears again.

Hi, I am having this issue as well but when I click on your link for solutions it says access denied even though I am a premium user. Do you know why this would be the case?

Hi there @22ayredz524cbqp,

Thank you for reaching out to us in this thread. We're happy to help.

Do you mean that you can't open the clean reinstall link? If you can then we suggest that you follow the steps that's provided in there since that will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If you can't open it, we would appreciate a screenshot so that we can have a closer look directly from your end. You should be able to open the link even if you're a user on our free version.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi, i have the same issue! Can happen regardless of where I'm playing music too.

Also, when this does happen and I'm in the car, when I turn the car off Spotify continues to play and kills my battery. 

Is there a fix for this? I've found that force closing and clearing cache seems to "reset" so the issue but not stop it altogether! 

Hi @archapman2001,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community.

Could we ask you for your current Spotify app version on your mobile device (also the device's make, model and OS version if possible)? Be sure to be rocking the latest version of the app at all time 🙂

We'd also need to know if you've tried any troubleshooting besides clearing cache and restarting the app so that we don't make you repeat any steps.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply, thanks!

ElenaModerator

Suggested posts