Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify connect disconnects when switching in and out of app

Spotify connect disconnects when switching in and out of app

I've noticed a new behaviour with v 7.6 of the IOS app. I use connect to play through an Onkyo amp, but the connection is lost whenever I switch back to the app after either locking or using something else. The connection is fine while locked or in the other app, but is lost almost every time I switch back into Spotify. The amp then has to be reselected from the devices list. This happens on both my phone and iPad. I have another phone running v 6.5 of the app which Is working fine.
51 Replies

Forgot to mention, I have a Galaxy S7 and this has started months ago. Was wondering if something changed on spotifies end and onkyo needs to update some code. It works fine sending music to my amazon echos. And works ok in the onkyo app, but the moment I reopen the spotify apo, the music stops. As of now, I can't even play music without first playing music in spotify, waiting a couple secs, then connecting to the onkyo.

Agree we need to chasethe issuewith Onkyo and find out where the fault lies.

This happens with many receivers, not just Onkyo.

I removed Spotify from my amazon echo and it seems to be working fine on my Denon n9 now... If you have any Amazon devices try it and see what happens.

I have a similar problem with my marantz SR6009 every time I use the spotify app on my Samsung S7 or iPad mini which used to play flawlessly. The issue is the music always stops when you unlock the screen or open a different app. However this does not happen when I use Chromecast or Bluetooth on the same receiver. Really annoying. Can spotify look into this and come up with a fix?

Removing spotify from my echo didn't solve the problem. Do all people having the issue own an amazon device in the same wifi?

Yes, I do

No amazon device.
The bug appears to be in the Spotify app.

I've found a solution after contacting Spotify support about this issue. Apparently the issue occurs when you login to Spotify with a Facebook account. Spotify Connect does not always work flawlessly with a Facebook account. They have migrated my account to an email login account (keeping all my data and playlists etc), and now the issue no longer occurs. 

I have always logged in with an email account and still experienced the problem. I have never used Facebook to log in. Unfortunately this is not the cause or solution to this ongoing problem.

Sorry to hear it did not work for you. In my case I have not experienced this problem anymore. Perhaps the solution was rather the migration to another account more generally rather than migration to an email-based account. Who knows. Other suggestions I received from spotify support:

- remove spotify from iphone, re-install and restart iphone (did not work for me).

- connect to spotify connect device while using a different internet connection (did not work for me).

- Login on your device with a spotify account from a friend/family on your iphone, and try again. This worked for me (but of course wanted to do this with my own account). 

More generally, Spotify support was very quick in resolving this for me, so you could also just contact them. 

Sooo. I have kinda fixed it by myself...
Since my girlfriend could use the service with her phone without any problems and I couldn't with both of my phones (and my laptop), I figured that reinstalling anything on any of those couldn't be the solution, and hardware issue seemed unlikely as well.
So I have logged out from Spotify on my phone, logged in with her account and after a bit of fiddling (the receiver did not show up initially in the app, but after a bit of waiting and app restarting it appeared), I could use the Spotify Connect without any issues. So I've logged back with my account and the connection drop never came again 😮 🙂

Hmm I cheered to early. Tomorrow the same issue appeared, after having run fine for a full day yesterday. I tried your solution, ravenseldon, but that won't do the trick for me either. Back to Spotify support..

It seems to be working for me now after I logged out from spotify on my iphone, my mac and my echo last weekend. After logging in again on sunday it worked perfectly.

All. I tried to trouble shoot myself for weeks. Android iphone and 2 onkyo recievers all the same issue. I contacted support and they switched me to a new account. They are aware of the issue and seems to be account related not device or version. Give it a shot. Took 15 minutes and seems solid now. I also asked the rep to post here to advise. Good luck.

Hi, I've been having same issues since a Spotify App update on 10th Aug 2017.
I have resolved this issue by selecting a fixed WiFi channel on my router rather than an automatic channel. To be extra sure I've also entered the MAC address of mobile device and Onkyo TX-NR616 on my router management page. It's been working fine since I've made these tweaks. Hope it works for others. Alkas

Hi, I've been having same issues since a Spotift App update on 10th Aug 2017.
I have resolved this issue by selecting a fixed WiFi channel on my router rather than auto. To be extra sure I've also entered the MAC address of mobile device and Onkyo TX-NR616 on my router management page. It's been working fine since charges. Unfortunately this may happen again especially if you're using multiple WiFi network in one property. It must be to do with recent update as I've not had this before. This issue only started from second week of August.
Hope it works for you. Alkas

The solution doesn't work. Still have the same problem after setting a defined wifi channel on my wifi router.

Hi, Sorry to hear that. What smartphone or device are you using? I did see it happen twice however I've reinstalled app then changed settings on so accordingly. As you may know app gets reset on reinstall.

Right, this should work. Log on to your Spotify account. Go to section that allows you to sign out of everywhere then log back on, change password then reboot Spotify app and any device you've used with this account or problem device. I realise my original solution did not work for everyone but this one does! Let me know how you get on.

Suggested posts