Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify draining battery extremally fast

Spotify draining battery extremally fast

Plan

Premium

Country

Poland

Device

iPhone Xs

Operating System

iOS 12

Recently i switched from my iPhone 8 to the Xs and after i started using spotify i realised it could drain more than 20% over around 30-40 min of listening 😢 which unfortunatelly makes the app unusable. I really need help since ive been using Spotify forever and im not willing to switch to Apple Music

40 Replies

Hey @KacperZ, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you let me know if you have Background App Refresh on? You can check this by going to Settings > General > Background App Refresh. 

Next, what's your iPhone battery health? You can check this by going to Settings > Battery > Battery health.

Keep me posted 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Background App Refresh is turned off and the battery health is at 100%

Hey @KacperZ,

Thanks for getting back to me with that info. 

Could you try a clean reinstall of the app? Afterward, test the app for 24 hours, and let me know if that helps with the battery.

If after 24 hours you still have issues, please let me know the iOS version of the iPhone. You can find this by going to Settings > General > About > Version.

Keep me posted 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star

I have my iPhone up to date with iOS 12.4 installed. As i was doing my own research it turns out Spotify is having battery drain and overheating issues among all iOS devices working on 12.1 and higher. I hope you are going to fix it asap since it is ridiculous that as a soon to be former leading streaming platform you let "bugs" such as this one ruin the experience that Spotify "promises" to deliver... hope to hear from you soon

Hey @KacperZ,

Thanks for those details!
Could I get the following info from you: 

• exact Spotify version
  • a screenshot of the app battery usage page, with Spotify, clearly showing
  • links to other pages where iOS battery drainage issues are mentioned

Keep me posted 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star

I have the same issue on iPhoneSE2020

Same here. Iphone se 2

Same issue. iPhone 7 running iOS 14 Public Beta currently but this was happening even with iOS 13. I just didn’t have the time and willingness to come here and post about it. But now I’m SICK of this nonsense. How can you not fix such a horrible issue?!?!

I moved to Spotify in June from Apple Music. And even though I love everything about the move, I’m beginning to regret because of this absolutely horrible battery drain from BACKGROUND ACTIVITY. This is happening even though Background App Refresh is turned OFF. I also reinstalled the app but still no help. 

Hey there @aaashish,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Could you confirm to us that you've performed a clean reinstall of the app? Exact steps can be found here. A new update has also been released today, so we encourage you reinstall the app.

If that doesn't fix the issue try going to your account page and logging out everywhere and logging back in. 

If that doesn't help let us know if you can try logging in on another iPhone and if you experience the same issue.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex

I’ve tried everything and I still remain as disappointed as before with this app’s (which I love otherwise) disgusting battery consumption. I guess only switching back to Apple Music will fix this issue?

Hi @aaashish,

Thanks for getting back to us.

In case you have an push notifications enabled, do you mind switching those off to see if this changes anything with the battery usage? Head here to learn how to manage notifications.

We also recommend clearing your cache and logging out and back in to your account twice.

Try the app after doing this and see if you notice any difference in the battery usage. If you see the same issues, it'd be great if you could share some screenshots from the data usage settings of the phone, before and after so we can see how the battery reacts.

Keep us posted! We'll be looking forward to your response.

XeniaModerator

hi Xenia

I’ve tried all of that. I’ve tried literally everything that is possible from my side as a user. It’s only now up to the unqualified nerds sitting in Spotify offices to solve this nonsensical problem. That is, if they actually want to solve it. 

From what I gather, the app is likely using so much battery in dishing out those daily mixes, which have gotten to be quite boring anyway. 

This is how I currently bear this app: turned on Private Session (every time it gets turned off also). Clear cache more often in the day than anything else that I do. It’s a nightmare, a real nightmare. And I’m on the verge of going back to Apple Music.

NOTE FOR THE NEXT MODERATOR WHO RESPONDS:

please don’t give any tips or advice. Respond only if you’ve a proper solution communicated to you from the Spotify headquarters. This will save my time, and yours too. 

and i thought i was the only one having this issue. spotify uses more damn battery than my screen. smh they need to fix it before i switch to something else

Hey timl08 ,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Could you please confirm if you followed the steps that were provided in the thread so far?

It would also be great if you could let us know the following, so we can have our developers take a closer look at what's causing the issue:

• Exact Spotify version
  • OS version of your device
  • A screenshot of the app battery usage page, with Spotify, clearly showing

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

XeniaModerator

I have had Spotify premium since the first year it came out. Something this year is causing the battery to drain ridiculously fast. Several times this year I've had Spotify drain the battery completely in 2 hours. This is on airplane mode, sync off, offline mode, streaming to a Bluetooth speaker. In the summer, I would stream literally 8 hours and have it only drain about 30%, now 2 hours drains it 100%. Attached is the battery usage from today. This is totally unacceptable. I have a galaxy S 10 with a battery that lasts almost 2 days running normally. I have the newest Spotify. Something is wrong and needs to be addressed! How can I stream at parties or enjoy paid music if only 2 hours at a time?! 

Screenshot_20201212-202831_Device care.jpg

Hey @aarontevis-us,

Thank you for your post. We're really sorry to hear that you experience this. We're happy to help.

Can you confirm if you followed all if the steps that's been provided in the thread?

It would also be great if you can let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I have. I've reinstalled the app and restarted my phone. It's hard to tell
right now, but I will see how much it drains next time I play music for a
few hours. Thanks!

I have the same problem and noticed my phone will get very hot while draining super fast. Only started a few weeks ago. Back when I started to receive mid-stream ads, despite paying for premium.

Hey there @zfw-5n0bwl_e,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community.

It would be great if you can confirm if you've followed the troubleshooting steps that's been provided in this thread, and also which version of the app you have.

Keep us posted.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts