NEXT STEP

Spotify on Apple Watch doesn't work anymore

Spotify on Apple Watch doesn't work anymore

Plan: Premium

Device

iPhone 11 and Apple Watch 6 GPS

Operating System

iOS 14.6 watchOS 7.5

I can't change the song, spotify won't even let me connect to my phone (before uninstalling I was able to at least find my phone, now it's empty), can't see the songs, from my likes basically can't do anything on the app. This problem occured last night, before that I was able to listen to music from my watch on my airpods, didn't even need my phone for that. It's clearly an issue from the Spotify app as when I uninstall it, "playing now" from my watch at least lets me change the song...

It seems like nobody else has any problem besides "downloading songs", keep in mind I don't use that feature, be it on my iphone or watch.

I've obviously tried restarting my watch, uninstalled the app a bunch of times, turned off bluetooth on my apple watch, nothing works. Therefore, I conclude an update is in order to fix this, I don't normally keep track if an app updates on my watch, I only use it when I go out and was planning on going to the gym and listen on my watch, seems like the only solution as of right now is to go to Apple Music after like 4 years of using Spotify, that's sad.

75 Replies

Such a pity that they are not responding to this problem at all for such a long time as it used to work properly for quite sometime. Now I have to regularly restart my phone because of this. And with it the remote control it's useless. Can somebody from Spotify please get back to us?

Hi folks,

Thank you for posting on this thread. 

Since this issue seems to be generated for various reasons, we've been getting back to every user individually throughout this thread. 

@CrzHimself We'd like to narrow this down as much as possible, so can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists? Alternatively, you can create a free account here, just make sure you're logged out of your own account before creating a new one.  

@Heelgut Please let us know what troubleshooting steps you've tried so we can avoid repeating them. If you haven't, in this thread you can find many different steps you can try. Tell us how they work for you.

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same issue. I replaced my phone and after that, Spotify no longer works on the Apple Watch 6 cellular. It is stuck in "Connecting". Did a complete factory reset on the watch, removed and reinstalled the app on the phone and I'm still with the same issue. Apple Music works fine, btw.

IMG_4443.jpg

Thank you for your help. Problem solved.

Hi folks,

Thank you for posting on this thread. 

@Jenholdre We're glad to know everything is back to normal!

@Andre-RS Since you've already troubleshooted your devices, there are other things we can try here. To start, please try connecting to a different internet/cellular network to see if you're able to connect them. 

If this doesn't work, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists? Alternatively, you can create a free account here, just make sure you're logged out of your own account before creating a new one.  

Let us know how this goes. 

MafeGModerator

Hi there,

iOs 15.0.2, AW 8.0

toggling bluetooth on phone: no result
rebooting watch : no result
rebooting iPhone: fixed.

Have to do this about every week.

Hi @MafeG thanks for your reply.

Logging in with another account doesn't make a difference, I've tried 3. 

App stopped working in the gym yesterday after it worked for a couple minutes (without phone nearby). Then it closed itself everytime I tried to open it again. 

I tried manually closing the app (about 20 times), shutting off WIFI, shutting off LTE but that didn't do anything. 

It started working again randomly about 20 minutes later. 

Hi folks,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. 

@CrzHimself Please let us know if the app starts failing again. For now, let's hope it keeps working normally from now on. 

In case the issue comes back, let us know if you've only tested the watch while using your headphones, or if it also fails when using the watches' speakers. 

@Heelgut Since usually a reboot does the trick, please run a clean reinstall of the mobile app and also reinstall the watches' app. 

Keep us posted on how it goes.

MafeGModerator

Well that didn‘t take too long. Watch is disconnected from the phone. App is closing itself instantly everytime I open it. Turning on mobile data or wifi or reconnecting the watch  with the phone doesnt do anything. 

Edit: restarting the watch doesn‘t fix it, restarting both the watch and the phone fixed it for me (this time) 

thats not really helpful though as I usually dont have my phone around when Im using Spotify on the watch. 

Hi there @CrzHimself

Thanks for letting us know that.

Just to confirm, has the issue come up again after it was fixed by restarting your devices?

If so, you can try factory resetting your watch and after that re-pairing it again with your phone.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi, I have a new Apple Watch series 7 (cellular), iPhone 11.

both have the latest iOS and Spotify app version.

While the phone is connected to the phone, I am able to listen to Spotify from the watch.

but, when the watch is not connected to the phone, and works as standalone, I am unable to see any downloaded music to the watch and not able to listen to Spotify.

What I already did:

1. turn on/off all devices.
2. sign in again.
3. remove the Spotify app and re-install it.

Nothing works.

The watch has Celular and internet since I am able to make calls and even listen to Apple Music in such mode.

your help is appreciated. 

Hi there @Royz,

Thank you for your reply and for the troubleshooting you've done so far.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this. We also suggest that you reinstall the watches' app before connecting them again.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you have someone log in with their account from your device - such as a friend or a family member? This will help us understand if it's account related or not.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi,

Thank. you for your answer.
I can confirm complete removal of Spotify app from my phone and watch and
then re-installing it on both devices.
in addition, I used my account on another device and another account on my
device - both did not work, I am unable to listen to spotify without
connecting to the phone (when the watch is near the phone - it works as
usual).

Hey @Royz,

Thanks for the post.

Can you let us know what happens when you select your watch as a playback device, when you press the device icon at the bottom right of the music player screen?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

I have this problem when using the apple watch to listen on music played on the iPhone. Will check this when the problem next occurs. 

Exact same problem. Super frustrating that so many people are having this problem and they’re doing nothing to fix it. Gonna switch as well if this keeps happening

Hey @Bmueller,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community.

Different issues were reported and solutions shared in this thread. For us and everyone posting here to be able to help you out, would you mind sharing some more details and letting us know what troubleshooting you tried so far?

We can then take it from there. Thanks!

Mario Moderator

Me too cannot launch my Spotify on my apple watch series 7. 

My Apple Watch will not show what I’m playing on my iPhone. I deleted and downloaded the app again, unpaired the watch from my phone and it still isn’t working. 

1C5D6A98-1A22-4055-AA90-EE65426370F1.png

Suggested posts