Spotify stops when played on Alexa Multiroom Music Group

Plan

Premium

Country

Austria

Device

(Huawei P20 Pro)

My Question or Issue

When i play Spotify on my Amazon Echo, i mostly choose the multiroom music group, because i can play music on several Echo Devices. But lately, when i do that, Spotify stops playing after 1 Minute. It doesn't matter which song, and it works if i play it on onely on echo device, but when i choose the group, it stops. 

13 Replies

Hey there @GlxyGuardian,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

We'd recommend you follow the steps below, and see if that helps:

• Restart your router
  • Make sure all Echo devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi
  • Reinstall the app on your mobile device
  • Reinstall the Alexa app
  • Reset the Echo dot (read how - here)
  • Relink your Spotify account to the Alexa app. You can see here how
  • Try to delete the Multiroom group, then re-add it

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to contact us again, if you have any more questions.

Have a great day!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This recently (June/July 2022) started at my home but with a slightly different failure.  Music SOUND stops on the Amazon speakers (mix of Echo Shows and Echo Dot)  30s - 1 minute BEFORE the end.  Spotify progress indicator shows music is still playing on my iPhone (iOS 15.5), Spotify (8.7.42.1716).  If I tap pause and then the play, sound will finish the song and move to the next item in the playlist.  If I don't it will NOT move to the next song.  

One other important note - this does NOT happen when playing to only 1 device in the group.

Hey there @herzlich

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to make sure, have you tried the steps @Elena sent previously? 

On another note, we suggest that you check if the firmware of your speakers is up to date. 

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I tried the following:

• Make sure all Echo devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi
  • Reinstall the app on your mobile device
  • Reset the Echo dot (read how - here)
  • Try to delete the Multiroom group, then re-add it

I don't see how the unlink/link item could be an issue and I don't see how rebooting the router is an issue since there are so many other devices working fine on the same Wi-Fi (mesh).  I use Google access points and I have symmetrical optical Gigabit ethernet to my house.

The thing that makes me think it's Spotify is how it fails - no sound at the end of the song.  AND, since the sound will pick up at the point it stopped at if I hit pause, then play.  It seems like something is going on towards the end of the song.  Amazon software would have no idea where it is in the song, only Spotify software. 

I believe it is highly unlikely to be an Amazon Echo issue but due to its consistency (repeatability), but I am sure it is an application issue.

Hey @herzlich

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you let us know if this happens with all of your songs or just with some in particular?

Also, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update. 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Eni,

It appears I had 1 Echo Show 5 in the group that had some type of internal corruption.  I factory reset it since it was ONLY playing music when it was the only speaker chosen for Spotify playback.   Removing and adding it back to the group did not fix the issue for this speaker.

For this Echo Show, I tried to play music with the other group members but no sound came out. The other group speakers played but as stated above, music would stop playing right before the end of the song.  

This issue is RESOLVED as fixed (no action required by Spotify).

It happened on every song. I don't know if it was related to an "event".
Generally, we use Amazon Music to play songs included free with Amazon
Prime. I also keep my devices set to auto-update their firmware. I
switched over to Spotify when I wanted to play songs from a "radio"
playlist using my (already linked) Spotify Premium account. I tried
several playlists so it was not unique to the playlist.

I use Spotify occasionally and this was not my first time to play Spotify
on my Amazon Echo speaker group. This was the first time it had an issue
continuing to the next song in the playlist.

I also killed, restarted, and reinstalled Spotify on my iPhone as part of
the original troubleshooting.

Same thing happens to me, albeit with different characteristics. It doesn’t matter where it is in the song for me and, instead of appearing to keep playing, Spotify pauses. If I press play again, the music resumes from the pause point. 
    I’m going to try it in a few, even though I don’t like doing it this way because it’s seems…well, I just don’t like it. 
What I’m talking about is initiating the session from the Alexa app or by Alexa voice commands. My preferred method is to open Spotify, select the speaker group in Spotify, and play from there. Sometimes I open the Alexa app just in case, but it doesn’t really make a difference whether I do or not. It’s guaranteed to happen at least a few times per session. The pauses are intermittent, and from what I can tell, absolutely random. There’s no certain elapsed  time at which the pauses occur. Sometimes it’ll play for 10 minutes and not do it. Sometimes it’ll pause every 30 seconds.
I’ll report back with results. 

I’ve tried all variations that I can think of, but nothing. I can’t get through a song without it pausing at least three times. I have no idea what the issue is.

Hey @gAggiNgcactUS,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

In this case we'd like you to try some troubleshooting to fix this. Would you mind checking the steps that @Elena suggested earlier in this thread? 

If the issue still persists after trying those methods, it'd be great if you share with us a short video of what is happening exactly on your end. Don't forget to mention the make, model and OS of the affected device(s), so we can take a closer look and advise you better.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

LyubkaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

FYI Spotify, this bug is still happening and is a dupe of this bug: https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Spotify-stops-when-played-on-Alexa-Multiroom-Music-...

I have a similar issue. Playing Spotify does not work, if a Soundbar is included in the "everywhere" group. In that case only the echo dot starts playing music (not the soundbar) and after ca. 20 seconds even the echo dot stops. Playing spotify music "everywhere" with only multiple echo dots works fine. Playing spotify music only on the soundbar works fine as well. Playing music with "Amazon music" on the "everywhere" group (soundbar and multiple echo dots) works also fine. I tried ALL the steps mentioned by Elena in the earlier post on the 2020-07-21 01:12 PM, but the issue persists. I have a Spotify Premium account. Any ideas?

Happens to me (android user but I'm not sure that matters)....if I only group two fire TV's together I get the same problem...music stops.  It might start up randomly after several minutes if I just let it sit there in silence.  Don't really think it's bandwidth because I have plenty.  ONLY happens with multi room, never with just one device playing.  

Suggested posts